What Generation Are You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Generation Are You?

I put this in the people thread simple because it's about people, more specifically you, the reader that happens to be reading this.

Baby Boomers. Those of you that were born post World War II up until the mid 60's. I think I/we can deal with that. The events between the mid 40's and mid 60's were a real jumping point, and I believe they measured it on the baby boom (obviously) and the fact that the people from the boom changed the history as they knew it. Fashion, music and lots of other factors changed so much after the 60's that someone from the 40's wouldn't recognise it if they were not along for the progression between those years.

Then comes along Generation X. I think the definition of a Generation X'er is they were born into the digital revolution and therefore had an understanding of computers and all that stuff. I can agree with this, whereas my parents and majority of aunties and uncles were Baby Boomers, you could tell that there was a definite division between those of my family that were born later.It's almost like a line cutting through the family tree of people that are able to using technology and those that cannot or struggle.

So what comes after that? I'm looking at family members born in different years varying from the late 80's right through to now. There's not 5 years between some of these kids and they have absolutely nothing in common. When I chat with people I normally get on most with people 10 years either side, once you start going out of that band then we have less and less in common until the only thing we share is the air we breath.

What is the deal here? Are, as I suspect, generations getting narrower? Or in my age am I just noticing these jumps and leaps a lot more, the way someone from the Baby Boomers felt when they saw the digital age coming in? I'm not one that fears progress, but there are times when I listen to the young 'uns talk and I've not got a bloody clue what they are on about or why they are doing what they choose to do. Where are the boundaries for these generations?

Looking at history it says I am a Generation X, one of the last to come from that era. I don't really know if that fits me, other than the "Grew up with technology" part, because I also happen to have grown up with all the mechanical stuff too. A few months before Christmas my cousin who is about 7 years old discovered some cassette tapes I use to store music on from one of the old cars I had and he literally had no idea what it was for. I'd never dream that something that is as iconic as a cassette tape would become obsolete but it has.

Which leads me to this. What do you think of these generational gaps? Which one do you belong to, and if you happy to have gone over a generation gap do you have the same feelings as me regarding the generations that have superseded you?

Re: What Generation Are You?

Generation X is an Americanism, sorry.

Comment

I have never considered myself a baby boomer as I was born in the 60's.The baby boomer generation to me was the one that came just after the war and lasted untill the early 50's.In a way I have always seen myself as post baby boom.
      There does seem to be a big generation gap with older people or much younger people at times I find but this is usually because they are either too stuck in their ways(older people) or younger people that decide they have something to prove or are too far into a certain trend or generation thing like a sub culture and don't mix that well with anybody outside of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
        Generation X is an Americanism, sorry.
        And where do you pull this from? Also, what does that have to do with anything? No matter where you are in the Western world I think it's recognised, even if the dates fluctuate a bit.

Comment

I always though generation X 3 was an American term for the 1st generation born post WWII, so being almost the same time as baby boomers.

A lot of pop culture for children seems to change fairly fast, so people born only 5 year apart can had very different memories, depending on what you were interested in.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

IMO Gen X does transcend nations now and today generally refers to people born from about the mid 60s to about 1980 (the boundaries are somewhat hazy). Even more so for Gen Y which I've seen referred to as starting as far back as the late 70's.

Being a 1976er I guess I fall somewhere at the tail end of Gen X with perhaps a soupçon of Y floating in. Does this mean I get on great with the glut of Ys that came after me? Not Really. Like Sly I really struggle to relate to people who are more than 10 years younger than me. This was most evident when I was working in a lab training students. In the earliest years they were like my mates, then once I hit that 8-10 years older mark the gulf was obvious. I don't want to make a sweeping generalisation but cocky arrogance, entitlement and me me me were definitely more evident in many of them!
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I notice the entitlement stuff a lot. The teens down to tots just expect. If I ever got anything as a teen I was like "Wow, I got something I wanted!" lol

Sure, I was materialistic then as the kids are now, but my materialism was stuff I'd hoarded and included stuff like books and mechanical games. The stuff the kids are fawning after now is stuff that's really aimed at the adult market. My two youngest cousins both have laptops that dominate my gaming PC, yet for all the cherishing of these items they still treat them badly,

Comment

according to the first post i am a 'baby boomer' as i was born in 1963.........i've never heard that expression before

Comment

It's interesting that my ex-girlfriend's brother was 13 years old but we had similar interests, for example we both liked synth / new romantic music though I was at primary school while he was in his late teens at the time.

At the same time I've been able to get on well with people at work 10+ years younger, sometimes I was forgot I was at secondary school before they had even been to daycare!

I would say I'm early generation Y, as both my parents were born post-war.

Comment

Can't say I've ever heard of Generation X but it's my generation (must be a song in there somewhere )
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Generation X ... Billy Idol's old band

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                        And where do you pull this from? Also, what does that have to do with anything? No matter where you are in the Western world I think it's recognised, even if the dates fluctuate a bit.
                        Firstly, calm down and no need to be so aggressive.

Secondly, it IS an Americanism, if you check its history, you will see that.

Thirdly, I mention it BECAUSE imo as an Americanism, it has no relevance as a phrase to we British. It is not how I and most people here, or most British people, would characterise themselves. In fact imo quite the opposite: most British people imo would roll their eyes and regard it as a completely foreign phrase (in both senses of the word), a psuedo-trendy American phrase that has no relevance to what British people would call themselves. So it has a great deal 'to do with anything'.

Comment

Too ironic for words.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            Too ironic for words.
                            lol
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                              Stuff...
                              OK, you're right. I'll promise to be good next time daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X