British Leyland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Leyland

With my forum name, I had to get around to this subject eventually....

British Leyland was formed in 1968, incorporating the brands of Austin, Morris, Rover, MG, Triumph, Jaguar, Land Rover/Range Rover, and was synonymous with the 1970s.

Although I've never owned a Maxi, the first car I ever drove was a Russet Brown 1976 Austin Allegro 1.3 Estate, which went well enough (and had a round steering wheel instead of the famous 'quartic' square steering wheel). It was a typical '70s colour though, and many Allegros, Maxis, Minis, Princesses, Marinas, Dolomites and so on were finished in particularly lurid stomach-churning colours seemingly only available that decade.

Family cars we had in the '70s and early '80s included two Morris Marina Coupes, and a Rover SD1, and I've always liked BL products, despite the bad reputation for build quality that accompanied them. The brand became Austin Rover during the '80s.

Anyone else got memories of BL cars from their pasts?
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Re: British Leyland

A school friends mum and dad had a 1978 T reg Morris Marina in blue, the car was rotten to the core at eight years old, the wheel arches where full of filler.

Comment

Working...
    X