Ghost story Kids book from 1970's/1980's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost story Kids book from 1970's/1980's

Trying to remember an anthology of Ghost Stories I had in the 1980's. I can only remember the first story in the anthology...it was unusual in that the ghost in the story haunted a tree. The ghost explains to a child that it once lived in the upstairs room of a house which it later haunted after it died. The house was knocked and a tree grew in its place and the ghost found itself haunting the top of the tree.

Anyone know which story this was and which anthology it came from?
    Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Re: Ghost story Kids book from 1970's/1980's

Sounds very familiar an anthology of Cornish ghost stories springs to mind defo the right period but these short stories where repeated in many different books.

Comment

I seem to remember that the ghost had some sort of violin or fiddle............although I'm not certain that I'm not mixing up two stories here. The story about the tree definitely had a child who spoke with the ghost (an old man) ..I remember the tree was outside the child's window
      Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Comment

Sounds very familiar an anthology of Cornish ghost stories springs to mind defo the right period but these short stories where repeated in many different books. Just found one of my old anthologies there's a story called the Ash Tree by M.R James.

Comment

I think this book/story would have been for kids or young adults. Certainly not for adults. What is the Ash tree about?

Comment

Originally posted by jaygon View Post
            I seem to remember that the ghost had some sort of violin or fiddle............although I'm not certain that I'm not mixing up two stories here. The story about the tree definitely had a child who spoke with the ghost (an old man) ..I remember the tree was outside the child's window
            I'm fairly sure The Ash Tree is what I had in mind unfortunately it doesn't quite fit your description.

Comment

It may not have had 'tree' in the title. I'm sure there must be someone who has read it.............

Comment

The Ash Tree is set in the 18th century and is about a witch who was hanged.

Comment

This is a lighter story and more than likely aimed at younger adults.....I remember the ghost being more of a pest

Comment

I'm sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Comment

Many thanks for the suggestions :-)

Comment

One of the Armada collections maybe? - used to read these back in the day:

http://www.librarything.com/series/Armada+Ghost+Book

Comment

Thanks for suggestion. I don't think it was one of the more poular series like Armada or Fontana...........those I would remember! 'Ghost Stories for Kids' or something similar, it will probably turn out to be

Comment

Working...
                          X