Rissoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rissoles

Does anyone remember Rissoles that were about in the seventies.

Used to like them , but even now I am not sure what was in them.
    Looked a bit like a fish cake, but with barley ( I think) and some minced up meat(usually lamb) of some description and covered in breadcrumbs.

Come to think of it , possibly hated them !!!

Buzz

Yeah had them for school dinners too, my dad loved them.

Comment

Yeah
      best thing since the Sinclair C5 !! LOL

Comment

Oh,yes..I remember these..hated them

Comment

They were ok, ish.

Comment

Re: Rissoles

One of the foods I do miss from my childhood is Birds Eye Savoury Rissoles. They were yummy!
            sigpic
            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

They sell them now in fish and chip shops (outside of Yorkshire) but call them 'fish cakes'. I think they should be sued under the trade descriptions act.

Being a Sheffielder I can tell you what a proper fish cake is. It's a layer of proper fish fillet sandwiched between two slices of potato, covered in batter and fried. They are delicious but you can't seem to get them anywhere apart from Sheffield and a few other places in Yorkshire. Chip shops round here also sell what other areas call 'fish cakes' but they are known as rissoles - which is what they are.

Lesson over.
              Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Must admit I've never heard a fish cake called a rissole...my memory of a rissole is a meat (god know what sort ) burger-cum-sausage splodge affair..maybe wrapped in breadcrumbs??
                sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
                  They sell them now in fish and chip shops (outside of Yorkshire) but call them 'fish cakes'. I think they should be sued under the trade descriptions act.

Being a Sheffielder I can tell you what a proper fish cake is. It's a layer of proper fish fillet sandwiched between two slices of potato, covered in batter and fried. They are delicious but you can't seem to get them anywhere apart from Sheffield and a few other places in Yorkshire. Chip shops round here also sell what other areas call 'fish cakes' but they are known as rissoles - which is what they are.

Lesson over.
                  With lashings of Hendersons??

Comment

Oh yes - the good old Hendo's without a doubt . I was actually born across the road from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post

Lesson over.
                      To me that's a fish patty - a fish cake is the mashed up white fish in a layer of breadcrumbs.
                      You can also get meat patties which are just the same - two slices of potato with the meat in between - and all covered in batter

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                        Must admit I've never heard a fish cake called a rissole...my memory of a rissole is a meat (god know what sort ) burger-cum-sausage splodge affair..maybe wrapped in breadcrumbs??
                        Well that's more or less how I would describe it.
                        Definitely meaty, possibly offal type stuff, with maybe pearl barley, covered in breadcrumbs.
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I suppose it all depends what part of the country you come from and what you've grown up with.

No right or wrong about it

Comment

I been online to see what it says re cake or patty or rissole - the patty issue seems specific to S Yorks ( heathens and faux-northeners !)

Fishcake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Cod Fish Cakes in Crisp Crunch Crumb - Birds Eye - The home of delicious, healthy food

( not a spam to sell fish cakes - just responding to previous posts in here)

Comment

Working...
                              X