Wang Chung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wang Chung

Formed as Huang Chung in 1980 by Jack Hues (Jeremy Ryder) and Nick Feldman, the band name changed to Wang Chung in 1982.

Probably best known here for their 1984 hit 'Dance Hall Days', they were a UK one-hit wonder, but they also had success in America with several other songs including 'Everybody Have Fun Tonight'. They also scored the soundtrack to the movie 'To Live And Die in L.A.' and wrote the song 'Fire In The Twilight' for 'The Breakfast Club' soundtrack.

I've been a fan of Wang Chung for a while, and have several albums - 1984's 'Points On The Curve' (which features 'Dance Hall Days'), the 'To Live And Die In L.A.' soundtrack, 'Mosaic' from 1986, and 'The Warmer Side Of Cool' from 1989, which features an epic song called 'Big World' (which should really have been a hit single).

They've just come back onto my radar, because they've digitally released their first album since then - 'Tazer Up!' - which starts with a new version of 'Dance Hall Days', but the rest of which is totally new material, although it largely keeps to the '80s sound they nurtured back then - there's even a song about that decade - 'Abducted By The 80's'.

Ideal for if you're 'cool on craze' - whatever that means!
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Re: Wang Chung

I remember 'Dance Hall Days'- weird lyrics, they appeared to advocate cruelty towards your dancing partner! ("Take your baby by the ears, and play upon her darkest fears"- charming!!)

Comment

In 1984 when Dance Hall Days was in the top 10, I recall collecting Hula Hoops packets (10 needed to redeem one chart hit) You sent off and they came back in the post in a cardboard sleeve, we used to upend dustbins to get the packets, this was one I sent for. Unusual song wasn't it?

Comment

Two British pop legends who are supposedly poles apart artistically and aesthetically have surprised fans of both camps by appearing together on the front cover of the CD & digital download sleeve of the re-issue of Moz's 1989 hit "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys", as well as re-issuing his 1991 album "Kill Uncle" with a new front cover photo which looks like something that One Direction would come up with pose wise.

Comment

I was very disappointed when they appeared on Top of the Pops that they weren't Chinese. I thought it was fraudulent in some way.

Comment

Working...
          X