• Show
Clear All

• Reset The Computer and Poke..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reset The Computer and Poke...jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	264263

I struggled with the type-in cheats that featured in computer mags before I came across the easier pokes. You had to 'reset' your C64, enter the pokes then resume the games with a SYS**** address. I blew a fuse on my C64 as I tried to make my own reset switch using a paper clip. I eventually sent off for a proper Reset Switch for a fiver although I found that only about a half of the pokes actually worked.

Re: Reset The Computer and Poke..

i remember typing in a big *** long poke for Hovver Bovver, and the bloody thing didn't work.

never heard of this reset switch you speak of

Comment

Originally posted by Moondog View Post
      ...never heard of this reset switch you speak of
      The Reset Switch was sold for the C64. It fitted into the cartridge slot at the back. I don't know if there was an equivalent for other 8-bit machines.

Comment

I remember a friend of my bought a reset cartridge for his C64, not just for getting cheats to work, but it also did some nifty disk operations. Features for copying tapes & disks were included.

He used to read Zzap 64, which had a good cheats section called PG's Tips (it was compiled by game reviwer Paul Glancey). Some worked better than others.

It later became Pig In a POKE.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

You must be talking about the Trilogic Expert Cartridge. Trilogic had a shop about a mile down the road from me in the mid-late 80s. They're still going as well

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            I remember a friend of my bought a reset cartridge for his C64, not just for getting cheats to work, but it also did some nifty disk operations. Features for copying tapes & disks were included.

He used to read Zzap 64, which had a good cheats section called PG's Tips (it was compiled by game reviwer Paul Glancey). Some worked better than others.

It later became Pig In a POKE.
            lol i remember Pig In a Poke

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
              The Reset Switch was sold for the C64. It fitted into the cartridge slot at the back. I don't know if there was an equivalent for other 8-bit machines.
              Some machines came with a reset switch as standard, some didn't, but you'd always find a reset input line to the CPU, so it was possible to add a hardware reset button to any machine if you wanted to. How much good it might do in respect to the topic at hand is another matter though: Some machines employed dynamic RAM refreshed by the CPU, in which case storing some value at a particular memory location would be no guarantee it would still be there after a CPU reset.

Comment

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                Some machines employed dynamic RAM refreshed by the CPU, in which case storing some value at a particular memory location would be no guarantee it would still be there after a CPU reset.
                ..Maybe one reason why the C64 enjoyed such a great hacking community. I will always remember SYS4096 to restart a program after a Reset.

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
                  ..Maybe one reason why the C64 enjoyed such a great hacking community. I will always remember SYS4096 to restart a program after a Reset.
                  I remember it was SYS16384 for some games. SYS64738 was the reset of course.

Comment

I used to use the old paper clip trick on my C64.

I remember the one for Ghosts n' Goblins, it would destroy everything on screen when you pressed fire, it was POKE 4242,42 then SYS2128 to resart.

Comment

Working...
                    X