Nicknames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicknames

Listening to my kids all the nicknames are based round names (becks for rebecca etc), but growing up in my area we had........

Jelly
    dekka the heed
    bun
    square (also known as "dicer"....due to shape of head)
    Do (fat lad)
    scud
    smow
    fingers
    big nod
    little nod
    tinker
    felter
    grunter
    mouth on a stick
    tramp
    beef
    half pint
    and that was without those that had name based nicknames.

Re: Nicknames

I remember we called one ginger kid DURACELL because he had a copper coloured top.

Comment

My brother was called Bones cos he has long really boney fingers, another friend of his was called Jim, not sure why cos he was called Darren.

Comment

I was called midge for most of my school years (you can probably guess that Im not that tall) and some of my old school mates still call me it when I see them

Had a mate who we always called cuffy, no idea why

there was also a lad at school wo was call Yogi (his last name was Baird souns like bear .... yogi !!!)
        Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

cuffy in our school was used for the scruffy looking kids.
          Heather

Comment

Someone I knew at secondary school had a friend at primary school who got the nickname Froggy because he had a wide mouth.

Very quickly half the school was calling him it, & even his mum did for a while!

For some reason one boy at my secondary school had the nick name Lord Snooty, even though he never seemed that posh or looked like the Beano character.
            Last edited by Richard1978; 27-08-2013, 12:58.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
              cuffy in our school was used for the scruffy looking kids.
              Might well be that as I seem to remember that he was pretty scruffy

Comment

yeah i got that as im ginger.

also got carrott top.

Originally posted by Shado66 View Post
                I remember we called one ginger kid DURACELL because he had a copper coloured top.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Funny thing is as kids we didn't really have nicknames for each other. One of the few rare examples I can think of was a kid named Tucker who was sort of the school bully. We used to call him Tucker the F*****. Though in all honesty he wasn't as much a bully as he was just very annoying. It was as a young adult in the '80s and '90s that I started to have nicknames for people. Among them were:

AT&T -- A reference to the US phone company. They were a trio of prankster workmates whose names began with those letters. Their specialty was messing with the phones so whenever the phones didn't work I would often say that it must have been AT&T again and everybody knew exactly who I was referring to. Interestingly "A" was our supervisor's boyfriend back then and one of the "T"s was her brother!

BARON VON PROZAC -- (see GOLDFINGER)

FAT PHIL -- An associate of Rug Merchant Pimp who used to hang around the shop. For some reason I always suspected that Fat Phil was some sort of Mob guy because one morning he was having a heated argument with RMP with Fat Phil doing almost all of the yelling and screaming, mainly about the former owing him money. RMP looked a bit scared and was trying to placate Fat Phil. They then went outside and when they came back it looked like Fat Phil had punched RMP! And then, inexplicably, the next time Fat Phil came to the shop they were buddy buddy once again. And on another occasion I overheard a conversation where RMP said that someone owed him money and Fat Phil said, "Don't worry, I'll get it for you."

GOLDFINGER -- An acquaintance that I knew from selling at antiques fairs who bore a vague resemblance to the Bond villain.

INVISIBLE MAN -- One of my current housemates because we hardly ever see him because he works nights and often heads out early in the morning even though he doesn't have to be at work till 3:00 PM.

MAGIC DAVE -- A fellow diecast collector with a penchant for tall tales. His "magic trick" is to show us a rare diecast model that he claimed to have picked up at the local flea market that morning for only 20-50p when most of us had been to that same flea market and hardly find anything.

MR PRICKLY PANTS -- Another acquaintance because of his resemblance to the Toy Story 3 character of the same name.

ORCHID BOY -- A close friend of mine I've known since high school. He earned the sobriquet when we worked for Rug Merchant Pimp because of his penchant for always having the heat cranked up in the shop both summer and winter

RUG MERCHANT PIMP (RMP) -- A rather unpleasant person of whom I had the misfortune of working for back in the late 1980s who often wore disco shirts and gold chains.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    yeah i got that as im ginger.

also got carrott top.
                    Just to balance it up a bit I got called SICKNOTE cause I always tried to get out of swimming lessons.

Comment

I can't say I remember many school nicknames other than a couple who were Titch or Half Pint for obvious reasons, and the usual ones based upon a shortening and changing of first or last names.

However.....

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                      AT&T -- A reference to the US phone company. They were a trio of prankster workmates whose names began with those letters.
                      Also telephone-related, I very quickly earned the nickname Strowger when I left school in 1982 and started work for British Telecom. Almon B. Strowger was a Kansas City undertaker who came up with a concept for an automatic telephone switching system in the late 19th century. With many refinements over the years, the basic concept was employed in many telephone exchanges for the next century or so, that type of equipment still commonly being known as Strowger equipment. Since I was already quite conversant with the principles of the system and I'm sure it showed in my enthusiasm for discussing it, my newly recruited peers at BT decided it was an appropriate nickname for me and it stuck.

Comment

How did I miss this before. We had a midge, very fast right winger for the school team. went right through school with him but have no reccollection of him in high school, but I know he went.

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
                          How did I miss this before. We had a midge, very fast right winger for the school team. went right through school with him but have no reccollection of him in high school, but I know he went.
                          if you are from Northampton this could be me Though I played on the left

Comment

i was known as dozer or carrott top cause ive ginger hair
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was called Herman in honour of Fred Gwynne's character Herman Munster because of my squarish head
                              sigpic
                              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                              X