Top 3 Favourite Computers Ever !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 3 Favourite Computers Ever !

OK, this is basically the same as my top 3 consoles thread, but for computers only.
    On the consoles thread everyone keeps mentioning computers, well, this is the place for them.

My top 3, in no particular order.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128k.

My first computer was a Speccy, and it will always be my fave.
    So many happy hours spent on classics like Manic Miner, Sabrewulf, Chase HQ, R-Type, Robocop, Back To Skool, Jet Pac, Target Renegade, Ant Attack, Turbo Esprit, the Trap Door games, the Dizzy series & the Monty Mole series, the list is almost endless.
    I went for the 128k model because of the awesome added sound chip, 48k Speccys had very basic sound.
    God bless Sir Clive Sinclair & long live the magnificent Spectrum.

Commodore 64.

The C64 was an amazing machine for it's time.
    The graphics weren't as sharp or as clearly defined as the Spectrum, but the colours were hugely better.
    For me, the greatest thing about the C64 is the astonishing SID chip, which was the sound chip.
    The music was incredible, so many phenomenal tracks from some massively talent musicians such as Rob Hubbard, Ben Dalglish, Martin Galway & many other great artists.
    Then there was the games, IK+, the Last Ninja games, Impossible Mission, The Epyx Games series, Paradroid, The Great Giana Sisters, Wizball, Mayhem In Monsterland, & anything by Jeff Minter. (on any format to be honest).
    The C64 is loved, and will be remembered for a long time.

PC.
    OK, fair enough, i'm kind of cheating with this pick, due to the fact that i'm going for the PC because of it's ability to emulate almost any game on any computer (or console), so that cheekily gets me lots of computers for one pick.
    Seriously though, there are incredible games that you can play on your PC for computers such as the MSX, the Commodore Amiga, the Atari ST, the Amstrad CPC464, the Apple II, the BBC Micro, pretty much whatever you can think of is fully playable on your PC.
    So, I know it's not really fair, but the PC is a computer obviously, so it's kind of OK.

Anyway, those are my top 3 picks, what are yours ?
    And please remember, no consoles here, you can pick those here.

Re: Top 3 Favourite Computers Ever !

Can't disagree with the Spectrum 128k. It had terrific sound - the same chip as the far more expensive Atari ST and there were some surprisingly sophisticated games crammed into that 128K. Starglider was a personal favourite of mine. Also that chunky great heat sink on the side kept my fingers warm when I was living in an unheated flat!

2nd favourite has to be the Amiga. Was never quite as much fun as my Speccy, but, for its time, the graphics were astonishing.

Finally, I too will vote for the good old PC. Still a great gaming machine today.

Comment

Commodore 64.
      My first computer, and it's the best selling computer of all time.

ZX Spectrum 48k.
      As british as the Union Flag. God bless you Sir Clive.

RM Nimbus.
      The first 'proper' computer I ever used. We had them as school and they were dos clones I think. I loved the Paint program it had.

Comment

Technically the Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair 48k Spectrum, BBC Micro (models A and B), BBC Master, Acorn Electron, Commodore 64 etc. were all PCs - personal computers (aka microcomputers) as they were intended for use by one person at one time (as opposed to a mainframe or minicomputer intended for several people to use simultaneously via terminals). It's just that since the IBM PC became so successful, with compatible versions produced by other manufacturers (Tandy, Viglen, Packard-Bell, Dell etc) the term "PC" has tended to refer to an IBM compatible PC.
        I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
          Technically the Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair 48k Spectrum, BBC Micro (models A and B), BBC Master, Acorn Electron, Commodore 64 etc. were all PCs - personal computers (aka microcomputers)
          Technically I cannot disagree, but what are your 3 favourites Star ?

Comment

Commodore 64 - the only computer i ever owned, and it had better graphics than its Spectrum counterparts.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum - used to play this at my cousin's all the time in the late 80s, so much fun.

Amiga - a couple of my mates had Amigas, some pretty fun games on it, may fave was always 'Fire & Ice'.

Comment

The Spectrum is most definitely in the lead,
              In fact, everyone who has chosen so far has picked it.

But where are the Amstrad lovers ?
              I knew a lot of people that owned & loved them, so you must be out there..........

Comment

spectrum 128k.
                it had tons of games and the built in tape deack was a great addition to a superb computer and of course you could play many games that where for the 48k.

commodre 64
                commodre prob had more games as you could have cassette, disc and cartridge games.

spectrum 48k the original rubber keyed version as well.
                just love how it looks and it still had many good games.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

ZX Spectrum (rubber keys)
                  My first computer, thousands of games (some classix some c**p)

Amiga 1200
                  Loads of software both serious and game on disc & cd, and unbelievably expandable.

BBC B
                  spent hours round at my mates playing games (loved the repton series), brings back rose tinted memories of school days as well.

Comment

Speccy
                    C64
                    Amiga

Comment

1. The Commodore 64 has to be my favourite as it was my first proper gaming machine. I've still got it boxed and in working order though I haven't got any games to play on it anymore.

2. I loved my Amstrad CPC464 and enjoyed playing Ikari Warriors on it.

3. Amiga 500 - some really great games to play on that machine

Comment

The two I had pre-pc were the Dragon 32 & the Commodore 64.

Obviously the Commodore 64 had more memory than the Dragon 32 but the Dragon 32 was easy to write programs for.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Atari ST, then some way after other computers from my childhood - BBC Model B, Spectrum/XZ81/Acorn Electron etc

Comment

Ace thread.

My favourite was the Spectrum 48k.

Still like to kick back on an Xmas day and play the classics on my laptop: Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Chuckie Egg, Horace Goes Skiing.

The best game of all and for 48k still blows me away:

Lords Of Midnight

Comment

1. Mother
                              2. HAL
                              3. Teletran 1

Comment

Working...
                              X