Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What naff souvenirs did you or your parents come home from holiday with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What naff souvenirs did you or your parents come home from holiday with?

It's been in the news today that the Spanish singer Manolo Escobar, famous for singing "Y Viva Espana" has died today.
    This immediately made me think of family holidays in the 70's and early 80's with my parents in Benidorm or Fuengirola and the 3 foot plastic donkey, massive sombrero and cassette tape called "Benidorm '79" (with the aforementioned track on it) that we came home with.

What naff things did your family come home with?
    sigpic

Re: What naff souvenirs did you or your parents come home from holiday with?

My Nan and Grandad use to bring back Spanish dancer dolls, donkeys and the thing that fascinated me the most was a little Spanish wine pourer that they kept vinegar in, it reminded me of a cross between Aladdin's lamp and a tiny teapot.

I also remember a cheeky pen where the lady on the front became naked

TBF I didn't really think them naff
    Heather

Comment

A stuffed Welsh dragon I bought on a holiday to Wales, obviously. I got one for one of my school mates and the look on his face when I gave it to him said it all, he didn't even pretend to like the thing. Looking back I would have said to him, yeah actually it is a bit naff isn't it?

Comment

bit of tack ornament with the place name on it

Comment

Not those horrid blue ceramic vases etc. with the name in white on them, shudder. We always also seemed to get shell ornaments or small little boxes with shells on the lids. The usual stick of rock by the handful and some sort of rubber sea creature like a crab. Shells also seemed to be popular in our house.

Palazzo, wished someone brought me a stuffed dragon, have a thing for dragons. I still have a welsh pound note with a dragon on it from the fishing museum I got way back in the early 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
            My Nan and Grandad use to bring back Spanish dancer dolls, donkeys and the thing that fascinated me the most was a little Spanish wine pourer that they kept vinegar in, it reminded me of a cross between Aladdin's lamp and a tiny teapot.

I also remember a cheeky pen where the lady on the front became naked

TBF I didn't really think them naff
            I've mentioned those Spanish wine decanters in another thread. So many people brought them home and had them on display in their houses and I too was fascinated by them. I didn't really know what they were for but they looked so odd with the pointy end. They are called porrons.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember seeing a Porron being domstrated on a holiday in Majorca.

Most people struggled with it, but one man managed so well the rep ask him if he was related to Oliver Reed!
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Magnets. I actually brought back magnets from my last outing to Texas. Those and keyrings. The lazy mans souvenir brought to you courtesy of the airport gift shop.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                  Not those horrid blue ceramic vases etc. with the name in white on them, shudder. We always also seemed to get shell ornaments or small little boxes with shells on the lids. The usual stick of rock by the handful and some sort of rubber sea creature like a crab. Shells also seemed to be popular in our house.

Palazzo, wished someone brought me a stuffed dragon, have a thing for dragons. I still have a welsh pound note with a dragon on it from the fishing museum I got way back in the early 80's.

Yes blue and white dishes sugar bowl milk jugs etc

Comment

lol yea i had things like that think ive still got em some where up in loft hhhhmmmm wonder if worthb out lol

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

lol yea i had things like that think ive still got em some where up in loft hhhhmmmm wonder if worthb out lol

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                      THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

I always seem to come back with alittle ornament with blackpool tram in it.there was water in this and you used to shake them had fake snow in them .so tacky lol

Comment

Some sort of purse was the gift of choice from my relatives. Those little leather ones that have a string round the neck or those plastic money tubes with similar string and naff place name/picture printed on the front.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember my sister had one of those tubular money holders, can't remember where from.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Light up musical chime windmill from school football trip to The Netherlands 1980. I think there was about 28 of us and I reckon we brought back 26 windmills.

Comment

Working...
                              X