Primary School Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary School Days

What I remember about my school the class sitting in rows 2 desks alongside each other,the long bench to share,the inkpots,school register,bell ringing at break lunchtime hometime.Assembly every morning for half and hour,playing in the school yard chasing each other,playing rounders in the summer,the school outings,milk at breaktime,forgeting sandwiches once had to have school lunch instead.The class band playing the xylophone,recorder lessons,the posters on the wall.The 2 blackboards one secured to the wall the other was a tall wooden frame structure with wheels on it,where you could push the surface up and down etc.The spelling books standing up for the times table,started joined up writing in junior school.When the class would get a student in for 6 weeks.Having fallen in love with a boy who you never sat next to

Re: Primary School Days

Pretty much the same.....apart from the last bit obviously.

Comment

I loved my Primary School Days as well as Secondary School - though both in different way's. Primary was amazing in that it was like being part of a small family in our class - even if they were people who at times didn't like others, but it was great. More so too in a way as you had a different Teacher each year and the last 2 Teachers from Year 5 and 6 in today's currency) without doubt where the Teachers every kid so desired to be in their class when in younger years. I recall so many cool memories - having a Film afternoon in the last day of Year 6 (which was our "sort of version" of a Prom before they became famous. Xmas party's, other party's, making Xmas things - in particular making Xmas Crackers from Toilet Rolls and making Xmas Cards and helping with a Harvest Festival too. All of it was brilliant - more so with 2 or 3 very very close circle of friends who truly "looked out" for each other - par a few who tried to barge their way in to our circle when they thought they could when they weren't wanted by others - unlike Secondary when you end up being a Tad Poll Fish in the middle of an Ocean when all this altered beyond words. In summing it up though I loved Primary School but if you could merge that "closeness" with Secondary School and rid Secondary of the bad times - this is a ticket I'd always pick!!

80sChav

Comment

The Class Photograph taken out the yard

Comment

primary school was more exciting and kids where generally nicer than at 2nd ary school.

you had free milk in a bottle how i loved that.
          blackboards which i dont think they use nowadays
          yeah xylophone think it was a silver thing which u hit.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            primary school was more exciting and kids where generally nicer than at 2nd ary school.

How Times have changed

I Remember we had to read a page of a book in front of the class when the teacher called our name guess what I was one

Comment

In my primary school we had an electronic voice machine with punched cards and words on them to help us pronounce words. I remember it so vividly.
              I really thought the box was smart. Now I know that it was just a load of pre-recorded words which were triggered when the correct card was inserted.
              Kids in Primary school now would probably hack it to say all kinds of filth!

Comment

Christmas present for the teacher I am sure they got more boxes of chocolates rather than a variety of giifts and I was one of them

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

I had forgot about Milk Time Darren -I wonder how many Council's and School's still give Milk! I bet not too many!

Music was great too at Primary - as was all lessons as they were so part of other lessons in how they merged. I recall story-time was great in the younger years too (like eg Year 5/6 - in today's era) as was Xmas time in particular/and the few weeks up to breaking up for the holiday's - when par Maths and English we had a virtual free run at being creative with making Xmas type things. Those day's are and were really memorable indeed

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    Christmas present for the teacher I am sure they got more boxes of chocolates rather than a variety of giifts and I was one of them
                    This shocked me when I became a parent. Presents for teacher ? You're joking, the christmas present for teacher was 2 weeks away from us. When did this "present for teacher" thing start ?

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
                      This shocked me when I became a parent. Presents for teacher ? You're joking, the christmas present for teacher was 2 weeks away from us. When did this "present for teacher" thing start ?
                      Not sure you would have to give something incase you were the only one who didnt

Comprehensive was different everyone in the class gave towards one gift

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
                        I have a friend who is a teacher and one who works in a nursery and they come away with armfuls of presents. I am shocked too. In my day nobody bought presents for the teacher. It's ridiculous.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

At First and Junior school we gave small gifts at Christmas. Usually this was a set of red, blue and black pens. Didn't think anything of it back then but I guess the teacher got quite a few sets from kids whose parents weren't too imaginative or couldn't afford more. I don't remember it being a big thing .. we just gave over the gift and a card sometime during the last week. The older teachers were always so appreciative. Didn't give anything at senior school as that would have led to a bog-wash during break.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                            Completely agree with the dismay over this modern trend - really ought to be stopped. That's nothing to do with being grumpy, but to avoid putting kids/parents under pressure to do it or feel left out.

Comment

I agree with you regarding the pastoral care received at primary school, which was sadly lacking at senior school. It was a big step from primary to secondary. It could be compared to the similar step from secondary school to the work place - which was just as cold! It's all part of the growing up process. It's done by degrees, but the the hardest part was definitely leaving primary school.
                              "Even nostalgia is not what it used to be"

Comment

Working...
                              X