3-wheeler off-road bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-wheeler off-road bikes

Quad bikes have long been a feature of our world, both on and OFF the road- but does anyone remember a brief time in time early to mid '80s when THREE wheeler versions were available?
    I recall seeing some on display at a garage just South of Birmingham c.'83, brand new and regarded as a huge innovation- my friend from school was with me and really wanted one! Can't remember the manuacturer, though I do seem to remember that the pop band Tears For Fears featured them in their video for 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World'. They weren't terribly safe as I understand, a number of people came a cropper on them and some had quite serious injuries- so maybe it's no bad thing that they were phased out. Maybe it'd have been better if the two wheels were put in FRONT and the single one at the back, like the old-style Morgan runabout cars. But at all events, do these ring any bells??

Re: 3-wheeler off-road bikes

Reminds me of Big Country's In A Big Country video

They were Honda trikes
    Last edited by sixtyten; 01-12-2013, 19:20.

Comment

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochures/ATCsite/

Comment

Some very early ones were in the James Bond Film Diamonds Are Forever (1971) & the Dr Who story The Day Of The Daleks (1972).
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I overturned one of those trikes at a 4x4 and off-road event years ago. The exhaust burnt my leg and the thumb-throttle jammed open when the trike's handlebars got stuck in the wall of straw bales that formed the wall of the circuit.

Comment

Do I dare admit to still owning and running 2 of these beasties? They were pioneered by Honda, but Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Polaris, and others all made them. There's a lot of disinformation, disagreements, and poitics involved in their demise (not going there!) in 1987/8, but there's still loads of them about and still popular.

Comment

Found a couple of pics...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	260485Click image for larger version

Name:	Working trike 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	260486