Seat Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Belts

Without wishing to start a road safety debate does anyone else remember when it was the norm to drive and ride in the front of cars without strapping yourself in? Also did anyone else have an estate car when they were growing up and their parents used to let them ride in the boot, particularly on the way to parties and events when there'd be about six kids and an adult squeezed into something like a Cortina estate?

Re: Seat Belts

Yes, remember going to a caravan site for a friend's birthday and us all piling in the boot of their big Volvo estate, three on each side with a bunch of others sardined into the back seat.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember my Mum wasn't impressed when my friend's parents allowed some of use to travel in the boot of their estate.

One of those road safety test films has a dummy flying out the back of an estate when rammed from behind.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        I remember my Mum wasn't impressed when my friend's parents allowed some of use to travel in the boot of their estate.

One of those road safety test films has a dummy flying out the back of an estate when rammed from behind.
        Seems strange that most people never thought twice about safety issues then. Still, I loved that trip in the estate boot and we all came away unscathed. Also loved travelling in the back of my uncle's van (which we borrowed as we didn't have a car) sitting on a cushion on top of the spare wheel and surrounded by manky tools.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

It used to be quite common for a group of us to pile into dad's Hillman Minx estate - Three or four across the back seat and still room for more in the cargo area with the luggage. One of my mum's friends in the early-mid 1970's sticks in my mind today because he always used a seat belt when in the front seat (in a car which had them, of course, since there were still many cars on the road then which did not). The reason that's still so vivid in my mind is because despite Shaw Taylor and Jimmy Savile telling everyone to "Clunk-click" he was the only person I ever remember buckling up in our regular circle of family and friends throughout my entire childhood.

I refuse to use seat belts today, as I've done ever since the dictatorial government forced them upon us in 1983. The benefits aren't anywhere near as great as is claimed, not to mention the fact that in certain types of crash they can actually be harmful, even deadly.

But even if there weren't such concerns, and even if they were always beneficial, I still oppose mandatory use as a matter of principle - It's no more the government's business to tell me to buckle up "for my own good" than it's their business to tell me what foods to eat or what clothes to wear to keep warm, under threats of fines for failing to follow their orders.

Comment

The amount of illegal stuff we did back then. I think standing up in the back of a flatbed transit was probably the most illegal thing. Everyone over a certain age has done the boot thing. I remember back before the seatbelt were compulsory sliding about in the back of my Dads Lada on the leather seats as he drove about. I remember being in other cars in the mid to late 80's that didn't have seatbelts in either.

I remember being at my mates once and getting a lift home from his dad who was also running his son to university. He has a bit old Peugeot estate car and all the seats bar the front ones were filled with stuff for his Uni move. Me and his son shared the front passenger seat. I don't think we could look each other in the eye after that.

Comment

i remember well being in my dads car in the eighties going to school etc.
              i normally wasin the back up until a certain age then i could choose unless both parents where in the car.

i went in the boot a few times can remember it well the spare wheel got in my way.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember in the late 60's getting thrown from the back seat of a mk1 Cortina, between the front seats and splitting my head open on the ashtray handle. After that my dad fitted all our cars with 4 point harnesses in the back right up to our '79 504 which was the first car we had with rear belts as standard.

Comment

I used to have a short wheel base series IIa Land Rover that had no seat belts apart from a lap-belt for the driver. I wasn't too worried about speed as the thing would only do 55mph max and that was going downhill with a tail-wind. I once crammed 13 friends into it a few years ago to get to a rave that was taking place in a derelict quarry. That was something else!

Comment

i got a very bad habbit i get in car and dont put seat belt on untill i see a bobby i must make sure i always wear it one of these days im going get fined
                    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Much probably depends upon where you are, not to mention the individual cop and whether your local force happens to be on a "seat belt enforcement" week during which time they're under orders to try and "nab" as many people as they can.

Admittedly for the last 16 or so years I've lived in a rural area where police are pretty thin on the ground and I don't drive a high annual mileage, but in 30 years of ignoring the law, I've had about 6 tickets, and been stopped about the same number of times without getting a ticket.

Comment

knowing my luck mate ill get caught and fined so better buck up my ideas lol

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                        Much probably depends upon where you are, not to mention the individual cop and whether your local force happens to be on a "seat belt enforcement" week during which time they're under orders to try and "nab" as many people as they can.

Admittedly for the last 16 or so years I've lived in a rural area where police are pretty thin on the ground and I don't drive a high annual mileage, but in 30 years of ignoring the law, I've had about 6 tickets, and been stopped about the same number of times without getting a ticket.

Comment

i think u should yes buck up your ideas i mean heh.

i never wanted to drive so ill be ok of course going in someone elses car and not belting up could get me a fine.

im always careful soon as i get in the car on it goes police here stop people regular there are many around where iam.

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                          knowing my luck mate ill get caught and fined so better buck up my ideas lol
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

you lucky mate no road tax to pay no mot no insurance no repair cost hhhhhhhmmmmmm what a good idea think ill sell me car lol

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            i think u should yes buck up your ideas i mean heh.

i never wanted to drive so ill be ok of course going in someone elses car and not belting up could get me a fine.

im always careful soon as i get in the car on it goes police here stop people regular there are many around where iam.

Comment

Nobody pays road tax. It was done away with in 1937!.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Comment

Working...
                              X