Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usborne Supernatural Guides

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone remember Usborne Supernatural Guides. I believe there was 3 of them, (Haunted Houses, Mysterious Places and Vampires) they were sold separately and as a collected volume entitled ; The Supernatural Omnibus. I think they came out around 1979. I had at one time all the 3 as a kid, but have ended up with the Omnibus now? very strange!? Came across this recently.

I've found out a little online about these. I think they did some large format supernatural books too on Ghosts, World of the Unknown etc. Great outfit and still in business i believe making great kids books, educational and very informative. These remind me of some other books i bought around the same time from Leo's supermarket of all places....remember Leo's It's a Wilkos now. The books were called Mosterbacks and made by Marshall Cavendish, there was 4 and i still have them all, great stories and richly illustrated. Must post some pics some time.

Happy Days!!

Re: Usborne Supernatural Guides

Yes. They had some scary pictures in them.Click image for larger version

Name:	Wal6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	260493 This one used to give me nightmares. That cold, grey grinning face with the blood.

Comment

Yes, I have a copy of Mysteries of the Unknown myself. I love the Usborne books. They really excited my interest in loads of subjects.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0931.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	260494

Comment

I've got a collected book of Ghosts, Monsters & UFOs.

The picture of the phantom one eyed dog Black Shluck used to freak me out.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
          Yes, I have a copy of Mysteries of the Unknown myself. I love the Usborne books. They really excited my interest in loads of subjects.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3925[/ATTACH]
          Great stuff. I've got the Ghosts one.

Comment

My sister went on a school tour to Dublin many years ago and brought back one of these. Over the years unfortunately it went missing. Much to my delight I found the very same book recently, in a 2nd hand shop. It's called 'Usbourne Guide to the Supernatural World'. It covers in part 1 'Vampires, Werewolves and Demons'. Part 2 'Haunted Houses, Ghosts and Spectres'. Part 3 'Mysterious Powers and Strange Forces'.

I remembered well most of it, the illustrations were excellent. I remembered especially the story of Arnold Paole, the Serbian soldier who was attacked by a vampire in Greece. He died naturally in his home country from falling off a hay cart but returned to terrorize his neighbours after death.

Comment

Working...
            X