various charity collection boxes-put a penny in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• various charity collection boxes-put a penny in

In the 80's I remember the moving lifeboat, the Labrador with the slit in it's head, the ones where the penny would go round in a spiral, and there was a large basil brush one in my local department store...

Re: various charity collection boxes-put a penny in

They were more popular then although the only one that really springs to my mind is the Labrador and possibly the lifeboat but I can't remember any moving - just a little lifeboat shaped box. For some reason I can also remember a red house-shaped box but I have no idea what it was for. There was also a popular collection for the blind which I think was just a normal collection box but there was a picture of a boy in dark glasses on a purple background?
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Ha! Dr Barnados!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	260512
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I used to have one of those Dr Barnados boxes at home.

I remember one I used to see outside a shop was a boy with legbraces that was a bit scary. I think it was for a polio charity.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

thats one i do remember instantly as soon as i saw this pic.

i remember the parents having this when i was a kid.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
          Ha! Dr Barnados!
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3950[/ATTACH]
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            I used to have one of those Dr Barnados boxes at home.

I remember one I used to see outside a shop was a boy with legbraces that was a bit scary. I think it was for a polio charity.
            I seem to remember manhandling the Dr Barnardos box a lot so it must have been at home or at a relative's. Wonder if they gave them out at school or something.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I Vaguely remember a postman pat charity collection box somewhere but i can't remember were abouts it was,and i remember the sooty tins to they still got some in my fish and chip shop.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Our local Knees has had since I was a kid a large sooty charity box that has stood either just outside or just inside the door of the store. Its the same height as a 5-6 year old child and fairly heavy. I can remember looking at it as a very young child possibly around 1970-1972.It's still there at the moment but our local knees is moving soon to a new site so It won't be there for much longer. I expect that charity box is as old as I am maybe even older and has had a good many years service. Pity to see it go when the store closes.

Comment

There was an old mine collection box in Tynemouth in the 80's, just like the one in the picture but I don't remember what it was for. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	260521
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

There was a toy shop in Newcastle upon Tyne which had a model railway in the window. You put a coin in the slot on the outside of the window & the train would do a circuit of the track. The money went to charity though I forget which charity
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                    X