PDA

View Full Version : Seaside memories

amethyst
09-03-2014, 09:33
What do we remember about holidays to the seaside

Bournemouth beautiful beaches,the walks,the pier,the colourful gardens,the deckchairs,ice cream cones the list goes on

darren
09-03-2014, 22:43
great times i had in bangor portrush and newcastle

the beach in bangor no longer exists.

the smell of the seaweed sandcastles etc long happy days with your candy floss and the rock u bought in the shops.

amethyst
10-03-2014, 08:07
great times i had in bangor portrush and newcastle

the beach in bangor no longer exists.

the smell of the seaweed sandcastles etc long happy days with your candy floss and the rock u bought in the shops.

Yes there is something about the smell of seaweed fishing boats etc a trip to the seaside is great so relaxing on a sunny day

amethyst
04-09-2014, 07:05
Building sand castles then putting those little flags you could buy from the beach shop

xmark1234
04-09-2014, 10:21
I love goin to wales to caravan every time i go i have to go on beach weather permitting that is there is sumat about it loads of pebbles stones and when sea calm its just heaven

xmark1234
04-09-2014, 10:35
I love goin to wales to caravan every time i go i have to go on beach weather permitting that is there is sumat about it loads of pebbles stones and when sea calm its just heaven

Twocky61
04-09-2014, 17:00
Fish & chips sat on the beach. Christchurch is near Bournemouth which has a beach which is chocka-block in the summer but there are smaller beaches between Bournemouth & the New Forest. Cornwall is a great area to holiday - we went to Hayle St Towans near St Ives every summer in the 70's as a colleague at work let Dad take us all to stay in his holiday home - we would go to Perranporth beach most days in Cornwall:

http://www.perranporthinfo.co.uk/100/The_Beach

amethyst
05-09-2014, 07:08
Love Devon they have glorious beaches sitting on the prom having an ice cream watching the world go by on a sunny day is bliss,have not been to Cornwall cant wait to visit

darren
07-09-2014, 05:51
popular places where bangor and newcastle here in n.i.

many happy a summer doing sandcastles

the newcastle beach a very long beach indeed s littered with fairly big sand dunes trying as i did to run up them was fun.

bangor now has no beach was horrified to find it out.

80sChav
08-09-2014, 18:26
I don't know why but the Seaside always seemed more for as a kid/younger adult with too many great memories etc

To name but just a few many great memories would be right through from Sandcastles on the beach to Rides on Boats in Boating Lakes and Mazes. Great days indeed :)

80sChav

amethyst
09-09-2014, 07:05
Being by the sea is relaxing takes the stresses away

Jedi Knight
23-09-2014, 14:15
Scarborough, Whitby, Bridlington or Blackpool were our haunts.

I live pretty much dead central between east and west coast so it could go either way, was mainly the east coast though, great places every one of em.

Jabbso
23-09-2014, 16:58
Botany Bay in Broadstairs, Margate. Spent all my summer holidays as a nipper in the 70's in that part of the world.

My parents took us all to France and the Spain from 1980 onwards but those holidays in Margate were magical. The chalk cliffs down there had tunnels burrowed into them that me and my brother would explore (reckless 70's childhood).

Getting sand in my sandwiches (how ironic) which made them crunchy :cry: but then have an ice cream from the hut in the afternoon (normally a Lyons Maid Haunted House).

Playing Crazy golf and the penny shove machines in Margate. Summers then were just fantastic :D

Cooldeepblue
23-09-2014, 20:17
It seems I am on my own on this one, in that I have NEVER had a seaside holiday. As Blackpool is my home town that is probably not surprising lol. Even tho I now live on the Costa del Sol a day in Alicante or Benidorm seems like an awful day out. Drunken holiday makers...rip off prices...ten deep at the bar ( both here and in Blackpool ). I live in the mountains about 25 miles from Alicante and the coast, and as a former SandGrown'un ( local slang for being brought up in Blackpool ) the peace and quiet is beautiful !! :p When I do go back to UK, a quiet week in a hired boat fishing on the Norfolk Broads wins every time for me. :D

amethyst
24-09-2014, 07:06
You cannot beat peace & tranquility cant abide noise and drunken behaviour

staffslad
20-04-2016, 10:43
Rhyl, Llandudno, Aberystwyth, Clarach Bay and Towyn were towns we spent our week's holiday in when I was growing up, almost always in a caravan. Things that I remember from those days include:

Seeing the donkeys being brought onto the beach and choosing which one to ride on--all those I saw had their names on their bridles.

Eating fish and chips on the sea wall--they seemed to taste better at the seaside.

Building sand castles on the beach, digging big holes and trying to fill them with sea water.

Choosing postcards from those racks outside shops. Just the simple pleasure of reading the cheeky cartoon ones and not really understanding them when you were very young.

Your mom or dad holding a towel around you as you changed into swimming trunks on the beach.

Exploring rock pools to see what creatures were there and finding jellyfish on the beach.

Sitting at the edge of the beach and letting the sea lap around you.

The smell of sea salt and seaweed on the beach. The smell of candy floss, chips, burgers on the front.

The sounds of sea birds while you played on the beach and the warmth of the sand on your feet.

Playing the machines in the amusement arcades and women sitting at those bingo boards that lit up.

The excitement at your first glimpse of the sea as you got closer to your destination.

Going to the camp shop to get a paper for your dad early in the morning.

Playing with kids on the beach, knowing you would probably never see them again.

So many great memories......

zabadak
20-04-2016, 13:28
Caravan hols in Oxwich Bay in Wales (the Gower peninsula) and St. Oseth :)

darren
20-04-2016, 15:03
Cant disagree there many times i remember sitting on the beach as the sun went down watching the waves come in the smell of the seaweed.
Sometimes id be sitting on top of the sand dunes too with the golf course running along beside it.

http://s3.spanglefish.com/s/11640/pictures/vbig/mourns-beach.jpg

you cannot beat peace & tranquility cant abide noise and drunken behaviour

staffslad
20-04-2016, 16:40
I agree completely. A walk on the beach early morning...the sun just coming up and no-one in sight...just the sound of the waves and sea birds...the sand smooth and clear of footprints...just wonderful :)

amethyst
20-04-2016, 19:52
Nice picture darren

Mulletino
21-04-2016, 05:58
Most of my summer holidays as a youngun were near the seaside at Holiday Camps, Camber Sands, Caister, etc. Lots of happy memories playing in the sand dunes and stuff.

As I got older I got more interested in the Arcades than the beach, we lived quite near Southend-on-Sea so I could go there quite a bit to visit the arcades.

I'm not much of a beach person now, which is a shame as there are some amazing beaches here in Australia.

amethyst
03-03-2017, 22:11
Sunday School trip to the seaside,head straight for the beach change into your bathing costume,go into the sea build sand castles,have sausage and chips for lunch,an ice cream to follow,Then head to the fun fair that would open at 2pm and stay there until 6pm where the crowds would head back to the coach park,have a sing song on the way home.

staffslad
04-03-2017, 16:24
Memories specific to Rhyl in the 80s, many also relevant to earlier decades...

The fun fair at the bridge end of the town, next to the coach park. I remember particularly the ghost train.

the water trough for the donkeys close to where the toilets were--not sure if they are there now.

At the top end of the town, not far from the lifeboat station, was a small lake on which there were radio-controlled boats. Put a coin in a machine and you could control the boat. Also, nearby, was a concrete area where you could hire a bike and ride around a course. There were lots of different bikes and you could change as much as you liked. The place also had a special area for very young kids where there were smaller 3-wheeler bikes and pedal cars.

Still on the beach side of the main road running through Rhyl was a small fair. I remember you had to go down steps to it and there were maybe 5 or 6 different things. Trampolenes, small electric cars and so forth. You had to buy tokens at a booth to use a car or trampolene etc.

A Punch and Judy man would put on shows by the clock.

The RAF were sometimes there on the front with various displays. I remember seeing a Harrier and Jaguar there, plus the front end of a Buccaneer and you could sit in the cockpit seat.

The Sun Centre, a glass paneled swimming pool. Never went in there as I much preferred the beach and sea.

80sChav
04-03-2017, 21:10
Most of my summer holidays as a youngun were near the seaside at Holiday Camps, Camber Sands, Caister, etc. Lots of happy memories playing in the sand dunes and stuff.

As I got older I got more interested in the Arcades than the beach, we lived quite near Southend-on-Sea so I could go there quite a bit to visit the arcades.

I'm not much of a beach person now, which is a shame as there are some amazing beaches here in Australia. This sounds similar to when I lived nr the Coast in the 90s Mulletino! Though by then Seaside Resorts here had hit their worst point in terms of entering their declines - but yeah, sure I had similar memories, as doing similar with mates at secondary School (thin Tie n warps and all) and nipping into Arcades by wagging it for an Afternoon Lol. I hope you got my last PM btw?

amethyst
05-03-2017, 08:37
I forgot about the boating lakes

Mulletino
06-03-2017, 02:50
I hope you got my last PM btw?

Yeah, your inbox is full so I can't reply mate.

80sChav
06-03-2017, 15:34
Yeah, your inbox is full so I can't reply mate. Right you are - will attend to it!

Be ace to share some more seaside if you have any Mullentino m8!