Oasis - the best band that could have been even more of a Supergroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oasis - the best band that could have been even more of a Supergroup

If only that Liam and Noel had not had such problems - Oasis would very easily of been bigger than The Beatles I think - though sadly it wasn't to be the case.

I will always recall a sort of friend (back in 1995) saying listen to this song and it being Wonderwall and thinking "yeah it's good but never realising how good it was" and how good that Oasis would be years later.

As a group they just so define Brit-Pop and my late teenage/early 20s years. I think their songs from Stand By Me to Half The World Away (which is so brilliantly sung in the mellow way it is) to Wonderwall and Don't Look Back In Anger are just so diverse that not many groups can achieve as so It would be interesting to have any replies - if there are any other members who like Oasis in a similar way

Thanks

80sChav

Re: Oasis - the best band that could have been even more of a Supergroup

Balls

Poor Beatles ripoff

Comment

The Rolling Stones have lasted for 50 years much prefered them to the Beatles a for Oasis drop in the Ocean

Comment

I loved Oasis at the time, but they've had their day.
        Heather

Comment

I like their first 2 albums, but from Be Hear Now they seemed to be on a slippery slope of reusing the same ideas until everyone was bored with them.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Loved them up till the 3rd album
            Saw them at the Stadium of Light and they were an award parody. Could have gone on forever if they hadn't tried to be the Beatles imo

Comment

Not really a fan of The Beatles but saying that Osis could've been as big as The Beatles is just silly. They aren't anywhere near U2 who aren't anywhere near The Beatles . One thng I do remember about Oasis was that their fans were often like football fans in their blindness of devotion. Much like some Arctic Monkeys fans today.

Comment

I remember once the shine had come off Oasis the music press hyped up Gay Dad as the "New Oasis" for a few months.

The record buying public were uncovinced.

Comment

a few good songs but couldnt stand noel and his antics..
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Really good band and captured the mood at the time perfectly. Champagne supernova is one of my all time favourite songs but if Im honest I was a bigger Blur fan
                    Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Same here, I liked Oasis but liked Blur's songs better. Wasn't mad crazy on either though. Like most things they were of their time and it is only in retrospect that Britpop really became an iconic 'thing'. I wonder if people who lived through the 60's feel the same way. At the time it was nothing.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

I liked both Oasis & Blur, who seemed to be less intense but knew how to evolve their music better.

At the time it seemed like a big thing, fitting in with Radio 1 getting it's act together after sacking all their older DJ's & losing lots of listeners.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mc View Post
                          Really good band and captured the mood at the time perfectly. Champagne supernova is one of my all time favourite songs but if Im honest I was a bigger Blur fan

You phrased this perfect I in how you say this Jay and I could not describe what you said any better. I think in a way in the era (1995-1999 Oasis simply where mega as a group (and more so in a way after Robbie Williams said how he wanted to be a member of Oasis). If Robbie had been part of Oasis this would have made Oasis one of the most amazing groups of all time I think (especialy a Suer-group)!

Sadly though in another way I guess that Oasis' Music could not continue being hit after hit forever but in comparison to after Oasis' heyday - music then sure never had a patch on the Brit-pop era and oasis' heyday of 1995-1999 I think/feel

80sChav

Comment

At the time I prefered Oasis, although looking back on it it's clear Blur were miles better. The craftsmanship in the songs were better. I think the thing that made me pick apart Oasis is when I learnt to play guitar and I could play the songs from the off. I remember feeling like "Hang on a minute, these guys have travels around the world and made millions by learning about 5 chords."

Despite being praised far too much, I think Noel is a funny guy. Whenever he's being interview he comes across as down to earth.

This video someone posted on youtube a few months ago sums him up. It's got a load of swearing in, you might want to avoid it if that sort of thing upsets you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfNqyjZcleI

I've watched it a few times and it never fails to make me laugh uncontrollably.

Comment

The saga of Liam & Patsy keeping them in the headlines for a few years also helped.

Comment

Working...
                              X