Money Money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Money...

I must admit, I do miss one pound notes and half pennies. Eventually I guess I'll be sitting here saying I miss pounds altogether once we turn European. This time round though I'll put some notes aside.. I haven't seen a pound note in years

Oh yeah,i forget they dont have pound notes over there in Britain anymore do they. We still have them over here on the Isle Of Man And i do hope we dont join the Euro,i mean why should we change our good ol' money for that new stuff? Pointless if you ask me :P
    Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

I also liked the big old 5p that was actually a shilling.
      Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
      http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Oooh yeah I suppose everyone would prefer them over the new ones which are so small they're more of a pain than anything.

Comment

Scotland's still got the pound note. They also have a £100 note - don't think the rest of Britain has

CJ

Comment

We in Ireland went euro in '02 and, while the difference wasn't a lot anyway ( 1€ = 79IRp ) we never wonder now what anything would cost in the "old money". It's amazing how quickly you'd adapt. Apparently the changeover in 1971 was harder to fathom at the time with 12d becoming 5p and no more shillings, half-crowns, tanners, etc., just 100p in the pound.
            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Am I right in remembering that we used old sixpences up until the mid-seventies, but even though my parents said 'sixpence' (six-punse), it was only worth two and a half pence in the shops? Then they disappeared. They were finally phased out, I expect. I seem to remember being about 5 and using one in a bubblegum machine, or maybe a newsagents with a bubblegum machine outside it.

Comment

Re: Money Money...

Yes, I remember when sixpences were worth 2 1/2p. I can also remember the brass thrupp'ny (threepenny) bit, that had a portcullis on it. Old halfpennies were huge, the same size at the modern 2p, and old pennies were even bigger. As well as the shilling becoming 5p, the two shilling coin was worth 10p. I still have some examples of the old coinage (some of them are very old, like my silver thruppence, a farthing, and Victorian penny and sixpence), and the early decimal coins - up until 1981, they had "New Penny" or "New Pence" on them.
                The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Comment

Working...
                X