Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Tuck Shops

Who remembers school tuckshops?

They sold sweets chocolate & drinks. In primary school it consisted of a table in the school assembly hall with just bags of crisps for sale. It was even the schoolkids who worked there selling them to their fellow pupils for a free bag of crisps lol Whoopee lol

Secondary school was different. There was more choice: sweets, chocolate, crisps, biscuits, cans/bottles of coke & other pop......... Though for some of us kids even that wasn't enough so we would go down the shopping precinct for chips and booze and cigarettes. The chips were easy enough to buy but booze and cigarettes were a different matter as we were legally under age to purchase booze & cigarettes. We would ask old ladies to buy them for us. We gave them the money, they bought it for us and we would carry their shopping home for them. We helped each other so fair exchange lol

The prefects served in the tuckshop so we found it fun shoplifting sweets and getting away with it. We weren't greedy we just took the odd mars bar or whatever

Anyway when we returned with the booze after lunch (we already had smoked some of the cigarettes) we would hide it in our lockers until after school when we would go to the perimeter of the school field and get drunk
    Last edited by Twocky61; 16-08-2014, 21:32. Reason: Emoticon
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: School Tuck Shops

Only tuck shops in secondary schools when there was always a big queue hence the bell would go to resume classes

Comment

They should have had longer breaks or had a trolley a dinnerlady went round with class to class

Talking of dinnerladies: lots of kids fancied teachers but who fancied a dinnerlady??!!
      Last edited by Twocky61; 17-08-2014, 09:35.
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

We had a tuck shop in primary. It was on the stage next to the hallway. It only operated in the mornings but they did not allow it during dinner times. Our headmaster banned the tuck shop in the end as he thought it was unhealthy. That was back in the mid 70's before people started to become health conscious. Our old headmaster must of been well ahead of his times. Secondary also had a tuck shop in a doorway along a passageway. The door was to a cupboard full of cleaning stuff. If I remember rightly it was very expensive there so many of us sneaked out of school up to one of our local corner shops and stocked up at half the price.

Comment

In our Middle School we sold crisps during the late 70s. I was one of the 'crisp monitors' and once a week we'd get boxes of crisps from the Office, and sell them from the window in the Hall. We had Outer Spacers, Super Stars, Golden Wonder (numerous flavours but I particularly liked the sausage and tomato flavour). My kids can't believe we spent playtime munching on crisps!

Comment

We had a very very small tuck-shop at my first Secondary School and not one at my 2nd one. We always wanted Chocolate and Crisps etc, but perhaps because my first School was a very rough one - that may explain why it never opened and never last past the 3rd Year from what I can recall

One thing very similar t a tuck-shop we had was an amazing drinks machine that did Coffee, Tea and Soup and the like, which was literally so cool to kids back then for it's era - though that is a story for another day!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
              We had a very very small tuck-shop at my first Secondary School and not one at my 2nd one. We always wanted Chocolate and Crisps etc, but perhaps because my first School was a very rough one - that may explain why it never opened and never last past the 3rd Year from what I can recall

One thing very similar t a tuck-shop we had was an amazing drinks machine that did Coffee, Tea and Soup and the like, which was literally so cool to kids back then for it's era - though that is a story for another day!

80sChav
              OMG!! A drinks machine would have been sheer bliss - We did have vending machines at tech college though but never at school. I have seen some schools now have snacks and coke machines but with the healthy living kick society is now on they are few and far between
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                OMG!! A drinks machine would have been sheer bliss - We did have vending machines at tech college though but never at school. I have seen some schools now have snacks and coke machines but with the healthy living kick society is now on they are few and far between
                My secondary school had can & snack machines in the 1990s, not sure if they would be there now.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

No tuck shops at all in my primary school or high school. Had to go to the shop which we did every day. Anywhere for a pyramint, some choc lick and fizzy laces.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

im certain we had them in secondary school.
                    there was everything a kid could want and it did a great trade as you would expect.

but primary school cant remember but if i was guessing id say we had them when i was there.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We had a tuck shop in comp but in primary school it was a small bottle of milk free before Maggie stopped it

Comment

As well as vending machines there was a tuck shop in each building at my secondary school.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I do remember in my last school they had a vending machine could be annoying getting out what you wanted.
                          Give the machine an odd kick.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                          as well as vending machines there was a tuck shop in each building at my secondary school.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My home town used to have a Cadbury's distribution hub and kids of the workers would come in with the chocolate bars their parents got cheap and undercut the tuckshop. School couldn't do a thing when the sweets started to be traded off school property.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              I do remember in my last school they had a vending machine could be annoying getting out what you wanted.
                              Give the machine an odd kick.

It was awesome Darren. I recall our's was not too often open as you had to go into like a little out-building in the CDY Block, but loads always used to go each break and occasionally as a substitute for Lunch too. Sadly though by afternoon you was certain it'd happen (as it did) that all the pop/soup had run out and you had to wait a few day's or so for it to be replenished!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X