Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your first band/.group (and d you still admire them etc as the first time you heard t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first band/.group (and d you still admire them etc as the first time you heard t

I have searched intensively and can not find a a thread like this. Looking at "New" old CD I bought earlier today - I found my "First Band/Group" that brought Music into my life, with the Band/Group being Wet Wet Wet

Of course new different and other Bands/Groups appear that could be described as lesser liked/known at times, as I have found approaching nearly middle age, but I just wonderd if that other members of DYR still think the same about your "first band/group" and if you still rate them like it was yesteryear.

I am sorry in advance if this thread is mis-placed and another similar exists that I missed in some way. Thanks for any replies

80sChav

Re: Your first band/.group (and d you still admire them etc as the first time you hea

Deep Purple was my first fave band and still love them to this day !! They do have the advantage of having re-incarnated in many forms, but the basic line up emerges now and then to keep up with the times. I once had the honour to have a meal with them after a 1976 gig and what a pleasant bunch of down to earth guys they were ( Blackmore excluded of course ) .
    Last edited by Cooldeepblue; 18-10-2014, 23:06.

Comment

Re: Your first band/.group (and d you still admire them etc as the first time you hea

Well, first record I bought was "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" by Abba and I still listen to their music today, although I have to avoid a lot of their more popular tunes as they've been played to death on radio & TV and I'm sick of them. On the other hand I got into The Smiths in a big way and saw them live twice, however I never rated Morrissey much as a solo artist and wonderful as The Smiths were in their day I feel a bit silly listening to their music today as I'm no longer an angst-ridden teenager suffering in silence in my bedroom....more of an angry old man now! If The Smiths were to reform now I don't think I'd bother seeing them as Morrissey et al would just be plain embarrassing. However, Kate Bush..........!!!

Comment

My very first favorite band was the Offspring. I freaking loved that band. It's a shame they haven't produced any music lately, but I will always enjoy listening to their old stuff like you gotta keep em separated, conspiracy of one, self esteem.....
        Like Frankie says.....

Comment

My first favorites were The Vapors and Devo.

Comment

Eagles of course

Comment

Originally posted by MyNameIsn'tSam View Post
              My very first favorite band was the Offspring. I freaking loved that band. It's a shame they haven't produced any music lately, but I will always enjoy listening to their old stuff like you gotta keep em separated, conspiracy of one, self esteem.....
              Original Prankster is a great track
              Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

its mainly solo artists i like but group wise id say abba.

always loved them and there songs are so complicated as ive saw documentaries about them

the girls tended to be more the singers.
                they are a great mix that worked so well.
                Last edited by darren; 17-11-2014, 13:56.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Brilliant.

Comment

Geneisi and Pink Floyd were the first grown up music I listened to and I still do. That was when I was 12 at 14 I got into T

Comment

he Stranglers, then found late night radio 1 and it was like a different,exciting world.

Comment

Duran Duran. I got into them in 1993, so it was well past their tween bedroom poster mania days. They are still going strong, albeit with lots of misses along the way.

Comment

Possibly the first music I was introduced to as a kid was my dads record collection of 50's rock and roll. People like Wee Willie Harris, I managed to see him twice in the 80's and loved every minute of it. I still love his music today. The first band I ever had the chance to see was Crazy Cavan and the rhythm Rockers. Still one of my fav bands after all these years.

Comment

My first love was The Sweet.

I went off them in the 80s, when the singer (the late, lamented Brian Connolly) left, but got back into their pomp when CDs came in.

I am now a (not-so-regular) contributor to their fan forum at http://thesweetglamforum.yuku.com/ (all are welcome, tell 'em Zabadak sent ya!)
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Our family had a few 8 tracks of The Beatles and Beach Boys. Like them, I did.

But if you mean "my" first band, it would be Queen. Growing up in Scotland in the mid 80s they were certainly not a band you wanted to get into if you worried about being cool! I had heard their 1984 "hits" and liked their mixture of melody and flat out ballsy rock. So the first album I bought was really two- A Night At The Opera an News Of The World on cassette. I soon completed my collection and was a big fan for a few years.

Then I started getting into heavier stuff like Maiden, Purple and Sabbath. Inspired partly by Queen, because someone who owns a copy of Greatest Hits might not realise that on occasion Queen could be as heavy as any 70s music!

In the 90s I was more into straightforward rock& roll

I have revisited Queen and they still hold up well. I've been learning guitar and many Queen songs are pretty complicated to play! They have flaws though. They were 4 very different people who wrote in different styles, so sometimes a Queen album is so diverse that you're puzzled as to what kind of band Queen are. Apart form being a very diverse vocal/ guitar band! Their 80s stuff although by and large good is also a bit lazy in comparision to their 70s peak. Still, I rate Queen as in the Top 5 bands ever

Comment

Working...
                              X