King of British comics??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of British comics??

Gets my vote as I was too young to bother with Eagle..(and can't include the UK 70's Mighty World of Marvel reprints)
    My Faves were Marvel.Never really liked DC comics although I would read them as a kid.As a child I always had a comic to hand,think I must have spent all my pocket money on them
    I bought Beezers,Beanos,Dandys,Shiver and Shakes,Krazy,Warlord...you name it I bought it,,(except Bunty)
    last ones I recall buying before I got "too old" for them were Starlord and stuff like that..around 1981/2(see edit) didn't really buy anymore until Watchmen came along.apart from 2000ad which I bought from the start.
    What were your faves?

edit.just read that Starlord came out in 1978! bloody hell!
    What drew me away from comics was the music press,which I started buying in 1977..Sounds,NME,Melody Maker..I bought them all!
    Last edited by sixtyten; 10-01-2007, 02:45.

Daz you're kool I still have the first issue some place, bought 2000AD religiously for years its kool and that led to spin off and merges also, Tornado with Wolfie Smith, StarLord with my fave Strontium Dog, and the relaunched with foto strips Eagle, Doomlord anyone?

Comment

hi guys..

oh aye..good call..loved 2000AD, Action Comic, Scream Comic, Warlord, Victor, Battle, Hotspur..loved Commando Books and StarBlazers in the early 80's too..hey, the other day while buying a Barbie Comic for the Girls I noticed a Commando Book and had to pick it up for a look (thought War was far too non pc for kids these days) but to my Horror...it was £1.20!!!! eeeeekkk!! then...i felt wellllllll old...hee hee.. bit different from 9p back in the day...

all the best....

Rab ;0)

there was also an 'Action Man' comic too..i say that with great disgust as it was all about the Adventures of New Action Man..all 'action man does the hoovering' or Action man takes the kids to the park'...'Actions mans adventures doing the ironing and dishes'.(not that there is anything wrong with men doing these things in real life but...) Cmon!!! wheres the fighting Facist tyranny, Bayonetting the evil Japanese and fragging people with grenades!! lmao...its an affront to my favourite toy of all time..lol..The old War horses at Palitoy, Coalville Leicester would be turning in there shell splintered graves I tell you!!! lol..

See thats the problem with the 'Youth of Today'..they wouldnt be bad and misbehave to others if 1970's Action Man had enlisted them to do Toytown National Service and packed them off to fight the Commies in Malaysia, like real 12 inch poseable Action Figures had too? Thats would teach them a lesson about manners, duty and common civility!!! (im so laughing typing this!)

Would the 70's Action Man have 'Post Traumatic Stress'? course not..he would have EATEN his way through the entire German Army if hed lost his Sten Gun...maybe im just too old and bloodthirsty..and maybe some things should remail in your memory! lol lol..

all the best...

Rab ;0)

1970's Action Man Recruitment Office
      Action Mans Secret Base
      Somewhere under the cold North Sea...

Comment

I was in the works book shop the other day and found a Best of Commando book Rab, they should bring out best of books for all the other comic greats too.

Comment

As well as the obvious (2000AD), I'm going to nominate Scream.

It was launched in 1984 (and maybe reissued a few years later), and only ran for around 15-20 issues. I still have a few in storage, and I read them again last year, and the content, for a kids' comic, is quite near the edge. Some of the regular strips had wicked twists. The comic, in fact, even had a disclaimer on the cover: 'not for the nervous'

Comment

It was a kool comic, mate theres been a few fair posts, threads just about Scream.

Comment

I don't recall Scream at all.

Comment

clasic came after 2000AD me thinks......the horror companion.

Comment

Scream comic!!!

Hi guys!!

Next to Warlord and Victor, Scream, Action and 2000AD were my most favourite Comics of all time (and throw in a few Marvel And DC of course for good measure!! lol...) good choice!!!

all the best...

Rab ;0)

Kind of Scotland...perhaps...

Comment

I preffer Whizzer & Chips, Cor, Monster fun and that sort of comic but I do have Eagle Annual's No1 & No2
                    sigpic I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!

Comment

Last edited by sixtyten; 26-01-2007, 19:08.

Comment

What would 7p get you now??
                        I joined the Fireball club, you got a membership card and a huge black and gold plastic medallion on a piece of plastic cord!
                        Champion!!
                        Last edited by sixtyten; 13-01-2007, 02:16.

Comment

Re: King of British comics??

Thats when you had something for your money though, I remember paying a 2p buz fare.

Comment

Wasn't the Fireball Code an ingenius one ? The number given e.g 12(28) related to the 28th letter on the 12th line in a paragraph given to members only - meaning that non-members hadn't a clue what it was about !
                            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Sounds kool, but i liked Warlord and Battle better

Comment

Working...
                              X