Halon fire extinguishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halon fire extinguishers

Halon fire extinguishers were green and contained bromochlorodifluoromethane gas which would extinguish any type of fire and could be used on live electrical equipment. They were once very popular in vehicles and computer rooms but are now banned except in aircraft and military use because the gas is a severe ozone depletant.

Re: Halon fire extinguishers

I remember them Arran but I was not aware they had been banned
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

We had one in our computer room in the 90s. It went off a few times, once when the fire control panel caught fire!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I remember Top Gear demonstrating this by getting a car on fire with an automatic extinguishing system fitted under the bonnet.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

In its day, Halon was regarded as the ultimate fire extinguishing substance. It found use in automatic fire extinguishers that worked by the fire burning a hole in a plastic tube connected to a can of Halon.

Comment

Working...
          X