Department stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department stores

The days when you had an assistant behind the counter when you wanted to buy something.Those chunky tills like large typewriter keys would go ping and the price would show up for you to see.The mahogany and glass cabinets to display stuff much better those days.

Re: Department stores

Department stores? Shop assistants?

Must be before my time. I was born in 2193.

Comment

Yes...and lift operators...the cabinets with clothes folded neatly you could see through the glass tops

Comment

I remember going to buy my first album proper (1973 I suppose). It was in Soper's (a department store in in Harrow-On-The-Hill).

I only knew I wanted a Sweet album and they had only made two. The assistant kindly showed me the tracklistings for both.

The first album, Funny How Sweet Co-Co Can Be, was really only a collection of pre-fame singles and the As and Bs of their few hits since. Needless to say, I knew very few of them.

The other album was Sweet's Biggest Hits, which I went for as I knew the songs, thanks to the guy's help.
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
          Yes...and lift operators...the cabinets with clothes folded neatly you could see through the glass tops
          And remember how the lift would leave your stomach two floors back when it stopped?

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
            And remember how the lift would leave your stomach two floors back when it stopped?
            Those lifts where the cages opened and shut

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              Those lifts where the cages opened and shut
              Those cages I was kept in that shut and were never opened hahahahaha

Comment

In my region we still have a fair few but nothing like they used to be - like even WH Smith had they own Travel Agency department circa 30 years a-go I recall ... may-be possibly 27 in one Town I recall

These Department Stores with individual parts sure had an echo of Grace Brothers - which I could not abide as a programme (Are You Being Served) but sure indeed it is an echo of past glories lost upon thinking about it!

80sChav

Comment

The staff would be smartly dressed ladies in frocks,gents in suits with plenty of smiles with good morning may I help you

Comment

From 1907 to 1983 the building on the right was flagship store of the Bullocks Department Store chain which was a famous name around here. I used to go there with my mom when I was a kid. One of my fondest memories was sitting at one of the second or third floor windows and gaze down at the street below while my mom shopped. The building which is seven or eight storeys is now used as a carpark with various jewelry shops on the ground floor.

Comment

Manchester had 2 big Department Stores, Lewis's which for years I thought was owned by John Lewis but wasn't.

Kendal's was the other.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

..of course the cages - and you could see the brickwork as you went up/down- and then the light appeared from a floor and then the legs/heads until it stopped :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          ... Lewis's which for years I thought was owned by John Lewis but wasn't.
                          We had a Lewis's in Birmingham. It had a mini-menagerie on the roof where you could have your photo taken with a chimp. It was a huge place - seven floors or so to explore - and was renowned for its Christmas grotto, where all the kids went to see the real Father Christmas.

Comment

There was a department store called Shepherds in Gateshead Newcastle upon Tyne but either now closed or taken over by Debenhams/HoF
                            sigpic
                            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Was Binns a department store in the North East?

A lot of buses in the 1960s - 70s had Shop At Binns painted on them.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X