Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boats

Memories of life on the water,when I was a kid we went on a rowing boat on a lake,my dad got into difficulty and we got stuck in those reed things,I was glad to get back on dry land

Re: Boats

I remember going on a pedalo with my brother on a like in a park in Northampton, when we at the far end it started to rain, & we were drenched by the time we got back to the moorings!
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember hiring small boats, similar to pedalos, but instead of feet you worked it with your hands, like those early paddle steamers, but muscle-powered.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        I remember hiring small boats, similar to pedalos, but instead of feet you worked it with your hands, like those early paddle steamers, but muscle-powered.
        Yes I've seen some like that.

Hodges uses one in an episode of Dad's Army when they get stuck on the end of a pier.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Remember Holiday on the buses,the boating lake it was really shallow,when Olive was messing about

Comment

not the best pic in the world, but here's my cousin (rowing) and i in a wooden dinghy that my dad restored.

Attached Files

Comment

I've grown up around boats, my Grandfather was a fisherman and hunter when he had the time, also had a past boyfriend who worked on a commercial Seiner and later at a cannery. I've taken many long ferry rides (even into multiple days with a private cabin), have never been seasick although have had some rough, even a bit alarming, passages.

What we don't have much in Canada are canals. I recently watched Matthew Corbett navigating canals from Leeds to Liverpool, or something along those lines... it was quite exotic to me although my Grandfather's side was from Leeds. Some of those bridges that move were very interesting (and I've seen they have them in Holland also). There's a '70s children's show titled A Break In The Sun I keep hoping will appear on video as they are on a boat in it, but maybe not a canal boat (I haven't seen it). I think Nicola Cowper was in it who I knew from an early Channel 4 series titled S.W.A.L.K.

There was a character on the series Afterlife who lived in a canal boat; might not be a bad place to be if tides are rising! I've even been caught looking at the toy canal boat (with an otter family) from Sylvanian Families a bit wistfully sometimes.

I've been in rowboats and canoes, and out on the open sea in small open fishing boats... don't trust this craze for kayaks though. I imagine the UK being more a rowboat place but that's likely a dated picture. I'd love to take a boat around the Hebrides and/or Orkneys, if it could be in decent weather anyway, but canals might be less stressful.
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I still quite haven't thrown in the towel as far as taking the RYA level 2 powerboat course is concerned. Relatively affordable, although saving up for a decent RIB is a different matter, not in my lifetime.
                Maybe a fishing kayak, defo got to get back in the gym first though

Comment

This is my 1975 Dejon boat on the Basingstoke canal. The canal first opened in 1794. It was derelict until restoration started in 1977 and reopened in 1991.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Moored 14 Fir Tree Way, Fleet 11.11.04 .JPG
Views:	300
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	297251

Name:	Boat 14.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	297252

Comment

Originally posted by Hair Bear View Post
                    This is my 1975 Dejon boat on the Basingstoke canal. The canal first opened in 1794. It was derelict until restoration started in 1977 and reopened in 1991.

Name:	Boat Moored 14 Fir Tree Way, Fleet 11.11.04 .JPG
Views:	300
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	297251

Name:	Boat 14.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	297252
                    Nice!
                    I cycle along the Basingstoke canal from time to time, from Farnborough as far as Greywell.

Comment

I'd love to do something like the Leeds to Liverpool canal!

I saw a Sylvanian Families toy set with some little otter family living on a canal boat and seriously thought of buying one, but I came to my senses (it was not cheap), ha! The little gypsy caravan with badgers and a horse was a similarly hard 'no, too old now'.
                      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                      X