Independant Record Shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independant Record Shops

Who remembers those independent records shop?

When I lived in Cinderford in the Forest of Dean Gloucestershire there was one that actually under-cut Woolworth's on their price for chart single records
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Independant Record Shops

Berwick Street in London used to be the place to go, now there are only two left there (I think)!

I also used to like Cheapo Cheapo records in Soho.
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Hurley's Records in Hannah Street, Porth. For many years this was the record shop to go to. Later, Pepper Records, again in Hannah Street, Porth. This shop knocked Hurley's. Pepper Records also went into the video rental market. Hurley's didn't. Both shops now long gone.
      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Stockport has Double Four Records, which has managed to see off all chain shops apart from HMV.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I used to get the bus form my work to Southend every week to go to Golden Disc to see what new Imports they had in, at 5 quid a pop at the time they weren't cheap on my apprentice wages.

Comment

Spillers Records of Cardiff is the oldest record shop in the world opened in 1894 by Henry Spiller,they are in one of the arcades now.I remember going in their shop 30 years ago I think it was on a main road in Cardiff,but was pulled down for redevelopment hence they moved to the arcade,I recall they had a good selection of vinyl.
            Also upstairs in Cardiff market there is a record stall with a good choice of vinyl and cds,went about 5 years back

Comment

Here in Christchurch Dorset a new record shop has opened called The Vault
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

had a few in bolton at one time. the only record store left is x records. our price, andys records went years ago. hmv shut up shop a few years back as well.

Comment

In Cannock, A.S. Records, a stall on market days and another shop of which the name escapes me, all now sadly gone for many years. As a matter of interest, A.S. Records also started renting videos in 1980, making them one of Cannock's earliest video libraries.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what is meant by Independent. Not HMV/Virgin/chain? I used to mail order from Rough Trade (a lot of Stereolab releases), and more recently I seem to rely on Vinyl Tap whom I know have an actual shop front as I've seen the photo of that. We are seeing a record shop revival here though and I can get imports and magazines a lot more easily with in-person shopping.
                    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I think the shop in Cannock I couldn't remember was called McConnell's. Spent many an hour flipping through records there and at A.S Records in college day lunchtimes in the early 80s.

Comment

It's a brick and mortar store not owned by one of the big names or chains.
                        Every town used to have at least one or two. Spent most of my misspent youth in them. They were hot meeting places where you fell in love with the latest hits or dug deep for the delicious rarity. That's long before CD'S came in. Every shop was different and catered for it's own type of customer. I remember shops that were more punk and new wave. Another was more black music like reggae/soul/and disco. There was one I walked into sold nothing but classical, I walked out twice as fast as I walked in, lol.
                        All gone in my town. There is Raves from the grave about 15 miles from me who sell new and old. Everything from vinyl to cd's. It's the closest we have to the traditional independent left that I can think of.

Comment

There used to be one in Tiverton, Devon, when I was living near there (mid-70s), called Just-In - it didn't last long...
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Simon's Records - Oxford Street

Simon's was a large vaulted brick cellar. You could have easily have walked past the narrow entrance and set of stairs if it wasn't for the large plastic robot figure from a Queen album that stood outside.
                            During the 70's you could pick up an album for £2.99. There was no chain store type gloss or sophistication about the place, I think that must have been part of the attraction. The shop also sold posters and bits and pieces. I probably got one of my Debbie Harry posters from there...a long time ago now

Comment

There used to be a shop in Barnsley called Cash-a-disco, and another in Sheffield called Roulette Records, both were bang on for obscure records, used to love going in a record store on Oldham Street, Manchester I think it was called Easter Bloc (could be wrong about the name though). There is currently an independent record store in Barnsley that is attached to a pub in the old victorian arcade (its brilliant if you want vinyl but not so good for CD's)

Comment

Working...
                              X