Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Country Running PE

Schools used to have cross country runs in the PE lesson

My mate and I caught a bus some of the way lol. We made sure we weren't first but third or fourth so nobody would sus we caught the bus some of the way
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Cross Country Running PE

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
    Schools used to have cross country runs in the PE lesson

My mate and I caught a bus some of the way lol. We made sure we weren't first but third or fourth so nobody would sus we caught the bus some of the way
    We only had 1 each in First and 2nd Year at Secondary Twocky

The one I do recall was running past my Grand-parents hose and it probably eqauted to 2/3 miles via the Canal/Towpath etc and back round the other to school

Immense fair play to you though for catching the Bus and in eqaul terms not being caught out - for certain this is something I would not of dared thing of to do as a plan or more so dare do what-soever at that time/era!

80sChav

Comment

I loved doing cross country at school.

Pushing myself etc.

Dont know if they still do it at school now.

I did it around 1990 i think.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I hated cross-country running. ours involved running through some fields at the back of our school.

A couple of us took a shortcut one day but I got caught, most likely because I was easy to spot as I was wearing a bright blue/pink/yellow/green 80s Tshirt my bro brought me back from Ibiza.....

Comment

A lot didnt like it when i was doing it either
          more than likely a few had a tin of beer stashed on the route and would stop for a swig of it.
          The route we did there where some uphill and downhill
          sections.

Originally posted by mulletino View Post
          i hated cross-country running. Ours involved running through some fields at the back of our school.

A couple of us took a shortcut one day but i got caught, most likely because i was easy to spot as i was wearing a bright blue/pink/yellow/green 80s tshirt my bro brought me back from ibiza.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
            I hated cross-country running. ours involved running through some fields at the back of our school.

A couple of us took a shortcut one day but I got caught, most likely because I was easy to spot as I was wearing a bright blue/pink/yellow/green 80s Tshirt my bro brought me back from Ibiza.....

We'd of been made to do it again 9and may-be twice) if we had been caught taking a shortcut Mulletino mate and too if not had proper PE Stuff on!!

The Teach would of resented us more if caught doing our Ties thin too after PE/X Country too mate lol

Comment

I think I was a little bit weirder than most as I liked cross country at school, god knows why though

Comment

There were paper chases too where one person went ahead laying a trail of bits of paper
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by spuggybridge View Post
                  I think I was a little bit weirder than most as I liked cross country at school, god knows why though
                  I really enjoyed it as well and felt a sense of achievement.

Comment

I hated it yet I was always picked for it...
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Have to say im with you and spuggybridge i liked it a lot and got a sense of achievement from it.

Originally posted by silver bear View Post
                      i really enjoyed it as well and felt a sense of achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        Have to say im with you and spuggybridge i liked it a lot and got a sense of achievement from it.
                        There was something exhilarating about it especially as it involved running over fields and through woods. I really enjoyed representing both house and school.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          Congratulations (on being picked that is!). It was the same with me with Cricket in a way: I didn’t think I was all that brilliant but was picked anyway for House and School teams. It meant I was kept busy in the summer term when there were no Rugger matches.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                            I suspect you were like me at school and got picked for most things sports-wise, whether we had really “volunteered” or not.

Comment

Our class were packed onto the school minibus, and driven four miles to a place called Strensall Common. Ideal for cross country running, except on certain days when the Army are doing exercises - there is a large barracks adjacent. The public may not access the common when red flags are flying as this signifies that exercises are ongoing. One day we were all unwittingly prancing along the tracks amongst the gorse when the lead group (which were some way ahead of me!) first put their hands in the air, then went flat on the ground on their bellies. The bushes were crawling with squaddies in full camouflage and tooled up with weaponry!

We were quickly turned round and sent back to the bus, with the hapless PE Teacher berated by some moustached military type, and for some reason that was the last time I recall us having to go for a jolly up on Strensall Common!

Comment

Working...
                              X