School Swimming Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Swimming Pool

At the first secondary school I went to we had swimming pool to match those in leisure centres. In the evenings & at weekends when we weren't using it the public were allowed to use it thus helping our school's coffers
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: School Swimming Pool

the secondary school that i attended didn't have a swimming pool. the one a friend went to did have a pool and they let any tom, dick or harry in at night time.

Comment

Neither of mine had Swimming Pools - at my first we used the Local Bath's and at the 2nd we attended the Local Lesuire Centre, but swimming was only optional then by the 3rd Year (Year 9- onwards)

Me and my friends, we sure had some laughs though at the first Local Baths at Secondary as we did hen we attended those Baths from Primary School. I don't know if other members had Baths, that was the same as mine - but we had one big Pool and one learners Pool and the big one had cubicles all way round it as the big one was equal to a small Football Field roughly/or astro Football Piitch may-be and all around both sides par each end of the Pool we hads Male Cubicles and the same for the Girls in the learing Poool - though that was obviously a smaller size!

the times though in the First/2nd Year at my first Secondary me and my friends had fun there is un-real to acumalate (before we eventually broke up as a big group by mid 2nd Year or when-ever the case may-be). I can not re-coolect half but can see them in my Head clear as mud in some instances and hazy in other ones!!

I recall Verucas played a part too in many and abrilliant (if not the brilliant-est - though it was'nt for me at that exact time) was beng trapped in a Chabging Room that was small per the time and it was'nt bullying of any nature/or even high jink etc, but obviously a lock with a fault on the Door for such Swimming Pools - how I got out - if it was climbing up on the old wooden Bench and over the door as it did not touch the roof of the place or under the Door I am unsure (though am tempted to believe it was the first instance) at a 60/40 guess if pushed!

As well then there was the high jink of hiding your Uniform with the lad in the next locker or moving it all a-long from eg locker 1 to locker 20 etc with all lads in on it somehow - though this came in handy if you was the victim as whatever PE (including Swimming we had we was made to line up in PE Stuff first - that included a White Polo generally or a few did White T Shirts) and whatever colour PE Shorts was for indoor as that would be and White Socks etc, so yer if you was a lucky victim or a lucky looser like Darlington in the 1999/2000 FA Cup via progressing as looser you then had to wear your Polo Shirt for the rest of the day instead of your Shirt and nine and ahalf times out of ten you was'nt in trouble for it either, if you explained your story - even though it was un-fair v the other lads!

To thionk now on reflection in conclusion - none of these High Junks would be allowed these day's at School I feel to be honest (though I may be wrong), but would'nt it be constituted as even bullying when it was'nt?!

80sChav

Comment

You say mate it was only optional when you did swimming does that mean in later yrs it became compulsory.
        Certainl when i was at school it was optional
        as well as far as i know.

but its a great thing to be able to swim and impoir
        tant which i still cant do.
        Originally posted by 80schav View Post
        neither of mine had swimming pools - at my first we used the local bath's and at the 2nd we attended the local lesuire centre, but swimming was only optional then by the 3rd year (year 9- onwards)

me and my friends, we sure had some laughs though at the first local baths at secondary as we did hen we attended those baths from primary school. I don't know if other members had baths, that was the same as mine - but we had one big pool and one learners pool and the big one had cubicles all way round it as the big one was equal to a small football field roughly/or astro football piitch may-be and all around both sides par each end of the pool we hads male cubicles and the same for the girls in the learing poool - though that was obviously a smaller size!

The times though in the first/2nd year at my first secondary me and my friends had fun there is un-real to acumalate (before we eventually broke up as a big group by mid 2nd year or when-ever the case may-be). I can not re-coolect half but can see them in my head clear as mud in some instances and hazy in other ones!!

I recall verucas played a part too in many and abrilliant (if not the brilliant-est - though it was'nt for me at that exact time) was beng trapped in a chabging room that was small per the time and it was'nt bullying of any nature/or even high jink etc, but obviously a lock with a fault on the door for such swimming pools - how i got out - if it was climbing up on the old wooden bench and over the door as it did not touch the roof of the place or under the door i am unsure (though am tempted to believe it was the first instance) at a 60/40 guess if pushed!

As well then there was the high jink of hiding your uniform with the lad in the next locker or moving it all a-long from eg locker 1 to locker 20 etc with all lads in on it somehow - though this came in handy if you was the victim as whatever pe (including swimming we had we was made to line up in pe stuff first - that included a white polo generally or a few did white t shirts) and whatever colour pe shorts was for indoor as that would be and white socks etc, so yer if you was a lucky victim or a lucky looser like darlington in the 1999/2000 fa cup via progressing as looser you then had to wear your polo shirt for the rest of the day instead of your shirt and nine and ahalf times out of ten you was'nt in trouble for it either, if you explained your story - even though it was un-fair v the other lads!

To thionk now on reflection in conclusion - none of these high junks would be allowed these day's at school i feel to be honest (though i may be wrong), but would'nt it be constituted as even bullying when it was'nt?!

80schav
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          You say mate it was only optional when you did swimming does that mean in later yrs it became compulsory.
          Certainl when i was at school it was optional
          as well as far as i know.

but its a great thing to be able to swim and impoir
          tant which i still cant do.
          Well we are both in the same Boat here (pardoning the pun/slight play on words) here

Our Teachers made a big issue of "oh you need to swim in-case your on the Coast and you drown", but even the most idiotic kids I knew in those day's would not put themselves in such a situation by going too close - unlike they go and do it these day's!

Can you PM me please too Darren mate

Comment

I did wonder often people tried swimming in hot weather in ponds, rivers & such in the past.

The Donald "I'll Be Back!" Pleasence voiced cloaked figure PIF warning about swimming in such places suggests it was an issue in the 1970s.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

At school, pool cleaning is usually the responsibility of a dedicated person who thoroughly cleans the pool. Personally, it seems to me that not all schools monitor pool cleaning. Many people just try not to pay attention to it. I watched for a very long time as a bunch of chemicals were added to my son's pool. I considered this to be the norm until an inspection came that closed the school due to the addition of unnecessary chemicals to the pool that were harmful to the students' health. After this incident, I started looking for a site that would have a new pool cleaner for 2021 to understand what pool cleaners are needed.
              Last edited by bellaxqqjwilkins; 03-03-2021, 07:28.

Comment

I hated going swimming. I couldn't swim and still can't.
                I Recall on one occasion at school in the 70s I forgot my swimming trunks and five other students also had a poor excuse for not going swimming; so all six of us were all summoned to the deputy head's office. I can still remember waiting outside the red door in a queue, waiting to be caned.
                My turn to enter the room. I saw some of the students standing in pain. One or two in tears.
                Those were the days.

Comment

Two things: 1) the water even at the shallow end looked as if I was to drown there if I even looked at it: and: 2) the chlorine which followed you out of the pool and everywhere else for the rest of the day.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I hated swimming lessons,the chroline stunk and the 40 mins always seem to drag,wasn't to keen on gym either,but I loved outside playing rounders

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                      I hated swimming lessons,the chroline stunk and the 40 mins always seem to drag,wasn't to keen on gym either,but I loved outside playing rounders
                      When swimming lessons were on Monday afternoons, I used to "coincide" my opticians appointments with these lessons.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Swimming lessons - Probably the vilest form of torture ever devised by a school. I'd do anything to avoid the pool. Even to this day I still can't swim.

Comment

my swimming lessons where taken by my primary school teacher not a swimming instructor.
                          30 yrs plus later i still remember him walking along the poolside holding out a brush shaft for me to hold on to.
                          and when i let go i went under like a. Stone never did learn to swim
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                          X