Obsolete old batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsolete old batteries

Ever Ready No. 8 (IEC 2R10) was a 3V battery that first appeared some time in the early 20th century (1912 ish) and was the most popular battery for torches during the mid 20th century. It was also known as Bijou or Duplex because it contained two 1.5V cells.

Attached Files

Re: Obsolete old batteries

Ever Ready 126 (IEC 3R20) was a 4.5V battery with screw terminals and the big brother of the 1289 (IEC 3R12) with blade terminals. It was mainly used in doorbells but was also used to power motorised toys and train sets.

Attached Files

Comment

Seeing the word "bijou" on the battery in the first post reminded me of that "compact and bijou" phrase in that 1990s Alliance and Leicester advert.

Interesting to see that the price stickers were on the individual batteries back then. I assume that they weren't sold in packaging then.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

This is well and truly extinct. Every Ready No. 800. A 3V battery comprised of two 1.5V cells used almost exclusively for bike lights. The legend goes that they were discontinued in the late 1970s because they were too expensive to make.

Attached Files

Comment

Every Ready Van from the 1970s.

Attached Files

Comment

That brings back the memories Arran; thanks for posting
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

It would be great if we saw some old Duracell ones - but then again, they haven't changed much over the years, and they are still going. Literally, in my transistor radio.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Mercury (oxide) batteries. Once highly prized by photographers for their light meters. Their output voltage was almost completely stable until the battery ran out along with a higher energy capacity than an alkaline battery and a lower cost than a silver oxide battery. They were mainly produced in the form of button or coin cells with a 1.35V output but battery packs were available with higher voltages that were a multiple of 1.35V.

Production of mercury batteries ended in the 1990s due to environmental reasons restricting the use of mercury.

Comment

I don't know if this brand is still going, but they were often found in shops that sold cheaper than normal products. I remember buying a pack of two, they lasted barely a week.
                  Attached Files
                  Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                  X