Woodstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodstock

Just below DYR's remit being 1969 who remembers the iconic Woodstock festival?

Probably the most iconic moment when Jimmy Hendrix played 'Star Spangled Banner' on 'leccy guitar
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Woodstock

I am a bit too young to remember Woodstock at the time, but I saw the documentary about it at the cinema in the early 80s. Yes, Hendrix's performance was iconic, but I also liked Jefferson Airplane and Country Joe and the Fish, and what about Joe Cocker--wow! Woodstock is the film that Charlton Heston's character watches alone in the cinema early on in The Omega Man.

Comment

Also too young but I've seen the film a coupla times and enjoyed it a lot

Interesting (to me) coincidence: I was watching The X Factor at the weekend and one of my fave acts there is called Kevin David White. I said to my fair lady that he reminded me of Ritchie Havens' opening slot at Woodstock. She gave me that "look" that suggests "I really do not care, you sad man!"
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The really great thing about Woodstock is, it became a free concert after the throngs of people coming through the fence. Obviously the financial backers, who the guy on the mike said they will take a big hit. The financial backers, as he said, decided the concert goers are more important than the buck

It was the biggest gathering of people anywhere
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

On 15th August it will be the 50th anniversary of the start of Woodstock. Just looking at the acts that performed....what a line-up! Surely the most iconic festival of all time, and perhaps the zenith of the hippy era, when young people really thought that they were at the dawn of a new age of peace and love. Maybe that seems so naive to our cynical 2019 eyes, but that was the mood of the time. Sadly, the Manson murders, Kent State shootings, deaths of Hendrix and Joplin, and the escalation of violence in Vietnam, the Middle East, Northern Ireland and other places quickly burst the bubble of optimism, as the swinging 60s became the savage 70s.

Comment

There was supposed to be a 50th Anniversary gig but it was called off last week

Comment

I think Woodstock was of its time. Any attempt to recreate it would be just a very pale shadow of the original. I know there were several anniversary concerts. I particularly remember the 25th anniversary in 1994. When Woodstock was being planned 50 years ago, nobody realised just how legendary it would be. Subsequent anniversary festivals used the name, but really lacked the spirit of the original imo. As for Woodstock 2019, I just don't think the quality of performers is there anymore, compared to who performed in 1969.

Comment

My perfect 2019 Woodstock lineup, all bands /artists are still living and able to appear ofcourse .....opinions welcome

The who
                Neil young
                Jethro tull
                Eric clapton
                Led zep
                Hawkwind
                Deep purple
                Fleetwood mac
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

No Britney???

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                    No Britney???
                    She was unavailable.

Comment

Watched a 90 minute documentary about woodstock last night, i knew it was big but WOW four hundred and fifty thousand people!!!.. They endured dreadful weather, a severe lack of toilets, they ran out of food, inadequate parking, nowhere to wash, ...sounds a bit like glastonbury

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        She was unavailable.
                        Surely some could Spear her, of you know what I mean...
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

i remember listening on the radio or was it tv very recently to how the local town was going to cope with the amount of visitors etc. i think the fact there was dreadful weather, a severe lack of toilets, they ran out of food, inadequate parking, nowhere to wash is what made it more legendary.

not surprised there were a lack of official toilets and parking spaces in an area so small im sure they could not have imagined having near half a million people there.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

....But all worth it just to see the Who

Comment

Working...
                            X