Who bought which 8-bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who bought which 8-bit?

It's a known fact that certain makes of car are more and less popular in different parts of Britain. Plenty of Porsches in Rickmansworth but very few in Burnley.

Therefore it's probably true that different 8-bit computers were more and less popular in different parts of Britain. It's a known fact that ownership of home computers varied across Britain in the 1980s (Northern Ireland and the north east had the lowest ownership whereas London and the south east had the highest ownership) but there doesn't appear to be much information about the popularity of computers from locality to locality.

Was it really true that the Dragon was most popular in south Wales; the MSX in London and Essex; and the BBC B in Cambridge and areas with a high proportion of residents in socioeconomic groups A and B? Were failed formats with a naff spec like the Commodore 16 and the Mattel Aquarius more common in poorer areas like Kwik Save supermarkets or was there no correlation between distribution and wealth?

I would be intrigued to know the answer to this - if it can be found.

A friend told me that very few kids in the south of Hampshire owned a PC during the early 1990s but quite a lot of kids in London owned one. He even called PCs London computers.

Re: Who bought which 8-bit?

IBM had (& might still have) offices in Portsmouth so maybe they offered staff a discount.

I guess the same with BBC B's in Cambridge, which was where Acorn were based.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
    X