End of term school report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of term school report.

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here goes....

The school report during my time at comprehensive school, came out twice a year. The first one came out at Christmas, the second around Whitsun IIRC.

Did you fear and dread the report? Or were not bothered?

Was your report always good? Did you ever have a bad report?

Did your parents ever write any comment on the return slip they had to sign?

Did you keep your reports, or were they thrown away shortly after?

Generally, my reports were on the good side until I reached the age of thirteen. Thereafter, some of the teachers comments were far less than satisfactory. I did have one really bad report in 1981. I will not go into it, but Kevin the Teenager would have been proud.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Re: End of term school report.

I used to hate getting the school reports. They were once a year. We were given a copy to take home and give to our parents. I can still see the white envelope in my mind now. Even if we somehow accidently lost the report on the way home the school used to back it up with another copy sent by post. As I found out one year. Parents did keep the reports for a while. Tried to find mine a few years ago as I had never seen them myself but only came across my brothers old reports. Only thing I can remember my parents talking about was the old English teachers handwriting being so poor and he should of been better at it as he was our English teacher after all. The old guy must of been in his 70's when I was at teaching us. He had suffered from malaria during the war and shook constantly, it's a wonder he could hold a pen at all.

Comment

I think that school reports have the potential to result in child abuse. If a parent receive bad reports from school then they could take out their anger on their children.

Comment

Because we were boarders we didn't take our reports home but they were posted to us in the holidays. What I liked about mine were some of the dry aside comments. I remember my Geography master writing: 'He is always smiling and laughing, even at things that wouldn't conventionally be considered funny.' A report from my form mater also said: 'He collects obscure items of general knowledge the way some boys of my generation collected cigarette cards.'

Both comments were accurate and remain true today!

Comment

We received our report once per year, probably around June. My reports were okay, so I had no qualms about taking mine home. They were sealed in envelopes and the more concerned would open theirs to see what had been written, but I just let my parents open mine. I don't think they wrote much in the way of parents' comments other than "Thank you" or something similar. I still have my reports from junior and secondary school.

Comment

Mostly I received good reports except for the odd few
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

In the 1980s my comprehensive school had this cheque book-sized book of reports for different subjects that basically listed the name of the subject, the academic grade (or ability grade for PE), the effort grade, (usually negative) comments, and signed at the bottom. This was when the grades went from A to E, and had grades like C+, B-, etc. It might have been brought back in the 1990s when I was there - I vaguely remember it then.

Also, when I was there in the early 1990s, we had something called Records of Achievement - did anyone else have that, or was it only schools in the pre-unitary authority Nottinghamshire area that did it? Anyway, most pupils didn't like it, but I liked it because as far as I was concerned, the pupil and the teacher equally filled in the sheet. I remember kids moaning that they had to do it in a PE lesson, where I wasn't as disappointed about it as others were as I didn't really like PE.

Firstly, you wrote your name at the top, and wrote the start and end of the period of time it was referring to e.g. "September to December 1991" or "Spring to Summer 1992" or something like that. Then you ticked boxes below that, answering questions on the left, and ticking boxes that had "with help", "sometimes", "usually", or "always". Then, (and this is the bit that I liked doing as it helped me to express myself), we were allowed to write around three or four sentences about ourselves and our work in the lesson, and then we signed it. After it was completed, the teacher in question basically did the same as the pupils did - tick the boxes (even if there may be a variation between teacher and pupil), and then add a few sentences in the comment box below.

We took ours home to show are parents and then had to bring then back to school, but we were allowed to take them home again permanently at the end of Year 9, although as I had a rough ride at school, I would have preferred to have forgotten about what happened there, especially the sometimes brutal remarks that some teachers had back then.

Did anyone have the Records of Achievement?

Oh, and my school reports were average - Cs were the most common grade on them I think.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I only remember school reports at primary school, & at secondary we had parents evenings instead.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

We had them but mine varied...
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Also, when I was there in the early 1990s, we had something called Records of Achievement - did anyone else have that, or was it only schools in the pre-unitary authority Nottinghamshire area that did it? Anyway, most pupils didn't like it, but I liked it because as far as I was concerned, the pupil and the teacher equally filled in the sheet. I remember kids moaning that they had to do it in a PE lesson, where I wasn't as disappointed about it as others were as I didn't really like PE.

Firstly, you wrote your name at the top, and wrote the start and end of the period of time it was referring to e.g. "September to December 1991" or "Spring to Summer 1992" or something like that. Then you ticked boxes below that, answering questions on the left, and ticking boxes that had "with help", "sometimes", "usually", or "always".

We took ours home to show are parents and then had to bring then back to school, but we were allowed to take them home again permanently at the end of Year 9, although as I had a rough ride at school, I would have preferred to have forgotten about what happened there, especially the sometimes brutal remarks that some teachers had back then.

Did anyone have the Records of Achievement?

Oh, and my school reports were average - Cs were the most common grade on them I think.
                    I don't remember having any form of box tickling.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                      We had them but mine varied...
                      Varied ... between what extremes?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
                        I don't remember having any form of box tickling.
                        Box tickling?

We ticked the boxes, not tickled them.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          I only remember school reports at primary school, & at secondary we had parents evenings instead.
                          Yes, parents' evening, which to me meant an hour without our parents at home.

Before school ended on the day of the parents' evening with just a few hours to go, we were told by the teacher to put our bowl or tray of work on our tables so that they could be seen by our parents.

They made a big thing of it during the early 1990s as they even had a book sale where parents could buy books where the money could go to the school funds.

I was the pupil at home, and I didn't see what went on during these evenings, but I believe when it came to comprehensive school, the parents went round from one subject teacher to another and sat down opposite them, a bit like speed dating, to talk about their son or daughter's work and behaviour. Sometimes it did take around an hour. One year we even had to make a list of subjects and times and it was listed for example, so that parents saw the science teacher at 5.50 pm, the Maths teacher at 6.10 pm, etc.

I am certain that they even called them "Open Evenings" as well...
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

In the movie Shirley Valentine the teacher gives her end of term report telling her she wont amount to anything. Earlier the teacher asked the class what is man's greatest invention

Shirley replied "The wheel"

The teacher said someone must have told her to which Shirley replied "How else would I bleeding know it?" lol
                            sigpic
                            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                              Yes, parents' evening, which to me meant an hour without our parents at home.

Before school ended on the day of the parents' evening with just a few hours to go, we were told by the teacher to put our bowl or tray of work on our tables so that they could be seen by our parents.

They made a big thing of it during the early 1990s as they even had a book sale where parents could buy books where the money could go to the school funds.

I was the pupil at home, and I didn't see what went on during these evenings, but I believe when it came to comprehensive school, the parents went round from one subject teacher to another and sat down opposite them, a bit like speed dating, to talk about their son or daughter's work and behaviour. Sometimes it did take around an hour. One year we even had to make a list of subjects and times and it was listed for example, so that parents saw the science teacher at 5.50 pm, the Maths teacher at 6.10 pm, etc.

I am certain that they even called them "Open Evenings" as well...
                              I remember the week or so before parents evening was a bit manic getting times from teachers. One year my parents weren't happy I hardly had any teachers booked for them, but it didn't help 2-3 were ill & one teacher told us not to bother unless we were taking French as an option.

Open days were a different thing, mostly good because pupils had an afternoon off unless they were taking part in one of the features.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X