PDA

View Full Version : Royal Weddings

George 1978
08-11-2017, 09:16
I am quite a Royalist these days as I enjoyed William and Kate saying "I do" in 2011, as well as the jubilees and other big royal events, but I remember as a 1980s youngster feeling a bit bored about the thing happening all day.

The biggest one within our three decades was Charles marrying Diana in July 1981, two days after Ken and Deirdre did the same in Coronation Street - (ditto April 2005 regarding three of them). Regarding the time and events, I thought that 29th July 1981 was the day when the 1970s finally ended and the 1980s had begun right there if you know what I mean. There was also Andrew and Fergie five years later, also in July - that was the one that I remember as a seven year old - sometimes memory can confuse the two. Pity that they nearly all ended in divorce.

Others were Princess Anne marrying Captain Mark Phillips on Charles' 25th birthday in November 1973, before I was born, (the low-key event of Anne marrying Tim Lawrence in 1992), and at the other end of the time scale, Prince Edward marrying Sophie in June 1999.

I remember my parents getting a Charles and Diana mug which my mother proudly put on the shelf of the wall unit and stayed there for many years. And keeping the copies of The Sun and the Daily Star (only 12p).

Any Royal Wedding memories, such as waving Union Jack flags around getting the bunting out?

Silver Bear
08-11-2017, 10:41
'Pay yer blinking taxes!"

Joking apart, our constitutional monarchy is probably the 'least worst' option. Imagine President Boris, President Farage or "Ohhh, Pres-i-dent Corbyn!!!"

With reference to another thread, I'd rather have Charles and Camilla singing 'Pass the Duchy from the left hand side'.

George 1978
08-11-2017, 13:04
We would lose our identity as a country if we ever lost the monarchy - it would be like losing the Union Jack off the British flag. I don't want a president like the United States.

staffslad
08-11-2017, 13:25
In 1973 my mom worked part-time cleaning a house. Her employer asked us to watch the royal wedding on her 26" Grundig. It was my mom and I, plus her employer's daughter and friend who saw the wedding in glorious colour while scoffing hot dogs my mom made.

In 1981 I watched the wedding off and on, but took the opportunity to also service my dad's car. I have to say it was a spectacular wedding and Diana looked lovely. I also remember that famous balcony kiss and the cheers of the crowd.

In 1986 I watched some of Andrew and Fergie's wedding, but I seem to have it in my mind that it was not too good a day weather-wise where we live so I didn't take the opportunity to do any car maintenance :)

I hardly remember Edward and Sophie's nuptuals.

William and Kate's wedding was nice but somehow I wasn't really excited by it. Actually, my wife's foreign relatives were far more excited, asking me lots of questions about the ceremony. William and Harry looked extremely smart.

I guess we will also have Harry's wedding to whomever at some time in the future, and I suppose that will be the last for quite a while.

staffslad
08-11-2017, 13:27
Actually, I've just remembered that I had to pop into town the day of William and Kate's wedding. Most shops were closed but the one I needed was open. The staff had a TV set up and were watching the wedding as I was served.

Silver Bear
08-11-2017, 13:36
I don't want a president like the United States.

I've always thought Trump looks and behaves like an older version of Vicky Pollard. "Mexico's rubbish innit."

George 1978
08-11-2017, 13:44
Although I used to hate Bank Holidays when I was younger as I used to get bored, I quite like the extra Bank Holidays that we had for royal weddings, jubilees and the like, and it makes a nice change in addition to the May Day Bank Holiday, the one at the end of August and so on.

If (or when) Harry gets married, it might get just five minutes' mention on the news, or it could be a couple of hours' coverage of it - I don't think it will be as big as William's. Just like Andrew's wasn't as big as Charles' was.

darren
08-11-2017, 19:16
I wonder is the reason it charles and diana.s wedding was an all day event because of who they where or was it a bigger thing back then royal weddings i mean.

I do have some memories of it it did go on all day didnt it.

i am quite a royalist these days as i enjoyed william and kate saying "i do" in 2011, as well as the jubilees and other big royal events, but i remember as a 1980s youngster feeling a bit bored about the thing happening all day.

The biggest one within our three decades was charles marrying diana in july 1981, two days after ken and deirdre did the same in coronation street - (ditto april 2005 regarding three of them). Regarding the time and events, i thought that 29th july 1981 was the day when the 1970s finally ended and the 1980s had begun right there if you know what i mean. There was also andrew and fergie five years later, also in july - that was the one that i remember as a seven year old - sometimes memory can confuse the two. Pity that they nearly all ended in divorce.

Others were princess anne marrying captain mark phillips on charles' 25th birthday in november 1973, before i was born, (the low-key event of anne marrying tim lawrence in 1992), and at the other end of the time scale, prince edward marrying sophie in june 1999.

I remember my parents getting a charles and diana mug which my mother proudly put on the shelf of the wall unit and stayed there for many years. And keeping the copies of the sun and the daily star (only 12p).

Any royal wedding memories, such as waving union jack flags around getting the bunting out?

staffslad
08-11-2017, 20:34
I think the Charles/Diana wedding was so big because he was heir to the throne, and to a lesser extent due to the public having taken Diana to their heart in a way they never did with Fergie.

zabadak
09-11-2017, 14:53
We had a day off school for Princess Anne's one :D

George 1978
10-11-2017, 15:06
We had a day off school for Princess Anne's one :D

You would have definitely had a day off school for her second wedding because it fell on a Saturday.

zabadak
14-11-2017, 14:46
You would have definitely had a day off school for her second wedding because it fell on a Saturday.

;)

George 1978
28-11-2017, 00:20
And of course Harry will join the 'Club as of next year.

battyrat
28-11-2017, 10:43
I do not remember the wedding of Princess Anne to Phillip but I do remember the stamps commemorating it from 1973.Funny how some little things stick in the memory but the major ones do not.Princess Diana and Charlie's wedding we had a party to celebrate that. Nan organised a big family and friend event like she did for the jubilee. Think I was more interested at the time in getting back home so I could be with a few friends. Never really been all that friendly with my cousins. Looking back now I am older I miss those family get together times.

Since then I have not really taken much notice of any other royal weddings.

staffslad
28-11-2017, 10:52
The special stamps issued for Princess Anne's wedding I remember very well. I was into stamp collecting in a big way and my mum showed me the stamps. I begged her to let me have them for my album and I still have them now. I have one of each value, but I am not sure if only 2 different values were issued.

Twocky61
28-11-2017, 11:54
I'm not really a royalist, but it is lucrative for the economy with the tourists

darren
28-11-2017, 17:30
So its may nxt year its been confirmed altho its also been confirmed it wont be a bank/publc holiday.

im not really a royalist but well done to the couple.
Its just a wedding after all.

Plenty of work going dress making catering etc.

George 1978
28-11-2017, 19:20
I do not remember the wedding of Princess Anne to Phillip

No one remembers it because she never married Phillip. Wouldn't that be illegal even for a Royal Family member? :o

staffslad
28-11-2017, 20:36
There will be extra interest in Harry's wedding as his bride is an American, so expect an increase in tourism from there around the time of the nuptuals.

battyrat
28-11-2017, 20:59
No one remembers it because she never married Phillip. Wouldn't that be illegal even for a Royal Family member? :o

Princess Anne was married on the 14th November 1973 to Captain Mark Phillips. Later divorced and remarried in 1992/3 to a guy called Lawrence.

Zincubus
28-11-2017, 20:59
I'd go straight to having Harry as King !!

Can we not start a petition ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

George 1978
29-11-2017, 03:46
Princess Anne was married on the 14th November 1973 to Captain Mark Phillips. Later divorced and remarried in 1992/3 to a guy called Lawrence.

Yes, I know what you meant of course - it's just the way that you originally wrote it!

Twocky61
30-11-2017, 19:06
But who's paying for these lash weddings?

The tax payer?

George 1978
01-12-2017, 20:30

The tax payer?

They only cost us about 70p per person or something. Not bad value to be honest.

staffslad
01-12-2017, 21:43
There will be increased tourism from the wedding plus VAT and other taxes from sales of wedding momentos etc, so whatever is spent from the public purse will be more than made up for in revenue.

George 1978
06-12-2017, 06:00
I have signed the parliament petition that asked for the Harry and Meghan wedding to be a Bank Holiday. There were so many rejected petitions on there asking for the same thing.

If we can have a Bank Holiday each year to see the final frames of snooker from the Crucible, then surely they can give us one for this.

Zincubus
06-12-2017, 12:30
I have signed the parliament petition that asked for the Harry and Meghan wedding to be a Bank Holiday. There were so many rejected petitions on there asking for the same thing.

If we can have a Bank Holiday each year to see the final frames of snooker from the Crucible, then surely they can give us one for this.

Nice idea !!

Any chance of you starting a petition demanding that they skip Charles , William and who ever else is in line and just make Harry the King as soon as possible !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

George 1978
06-12-2017, 16:25
Nice idea !!

Any chance of you starting a petition demanding that they skip Charles , William and who ever else is in line and just make Harry the King as soon as possible !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe that they would say that the UK Parliament would have no control with regards to the succession to the throne.

I was having a look at some of the rejected petitions yesterday, and some of them made me laugh so much because of their implausibility.

staffslad
06-12-2017, 22:01
Do you mean petitions which have failed to reach 10,000 for government response or 100,000 for consideration of debate, or which have reached the threshhold but were rejected for debate by the overseeing committee?

George 1978
07-12-2017, 10:38
Do you mean petitions which have failed to reach 10,000 for government response or 100,000 for consideration of debate, or which have reached the threshold but were rejected for debate by the overseeing committee?

Those that have failed because there is a similar petition existing or one that involves something that the UK government doesn't have any authority or control over.

George 1978
15-12-2017, 18:36
I have always thought that weekday weddings were more special than weekend ones - I mean, Saturdays are usually the day when Mr and Mrs Public get married on, rather than Royalty I have always thought.

Harry and Meghan's will be on a Saturday as we now know, just like Anne and Tim Lawrence, Edward and Sophie, and Charles and Camilla.

And of course, apart from Andrew and Fergie, all the main Royal Weddings have either been special Bank Holidays or been on a Saturday.

George 1978
12-10-2018, 01:33
And now Fergie is going to be a Mother in Law! (Well, almost). :)

Best wishes to Princess Eugenie - I shall be watching that This Morning special...

tex
12-10-2018, 17:52

The tax payer?

Two million pounds spent on security for fridays wedding, this is a massive amount of money which could be better spent

George 1978
12-10-2018, 22:57
Two million pounds spent on security for fridays wedding, this is a massive amount of money which could be better spent

An average of 67p to the taxpayer (as I saw mentioned in a Sunday newspaper a few years ago) is good value for money as far as I am concerned.

tex
13-10-2018, 11:54
An average of 67p to the taxpayer (as I saw mentioned in a Sunday newspaper a few years ago) is good value for money as far as I am concerned.

This is one point of view but how about spending this money on nurses or the homeless or something useful.

George 1978
13-10-2018, 22:55
This is one point of view but how about spending this money on nurses or the homeless or something useful.

I do think that doctors, nurses, the police, teachers and other people who serve our communities deserve to have money spent on them, but at the same time, we do have a right to celebrate what is good about our country - Christmas costs money every year when it comes to what we buy - presents, food, parties etc, and people don't stop being ill at Christmas, neither does crime stop being committed then - one could argue that Christmas is a special event in the same bracket as a Royal Wedding is.

I know that these days we have very little to celebrate about life in general, and I am talking personally as well as generally - it is nice to get these welcome diversions from what we think of as normal routine.