The Decade of Distaste!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Decade of Distaste!

As someone who lived thru the 70s I have to say it was the decade of fashion distaste. Who would imagine wearing a Safari Suit today. Sadly it was the mode..the in thing for the late part of the decade. My future wife scoffed at my Safari Suit when I turned up at her place for our first date. When not wearing a suit you had to look resplendent in an inspipid, floral patterned shirt with enormous collars. Around your neck you wore a brite matching scarf either tucked in or out. The pants were sailor like bell bottoms in the most garish of colors. The flair got wider the longer the decade went on. The peace de resistance of distaste were the elevated shoes. Luckily I was of sufficient elevation at a touch under 6f, that I did not need that hi a heel. But I have seen short a*** blokes with at least 6inch heels. Did you too live thru the decade of distaste?

Re: The Decade of Distaste!

I had a pair of bell bottoms when I was about six or seven-years-old and I remember how much I hated it.

Comment

Bob Monkhouse wore a safari suit on Celebrity Squares, didn't he? I remember seeing a clip of him wearing one.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The Hawaiian patterned satin shirt was all the go back in the 80s. Everyone wanted one of these shirts. They came in a huge array of patterns and colors and looked great with a pair of black, grey or off white trousers. They looked even more fashionable with a sport jacket. There was one major obstacle to the survival of the Hawaiian satin shirt. They wrinkled if you so much as breathed on them. I remember I had to iron one after almost every use.

Last edited by Donald the Great; 02-12-2017, 13:42.

Comment

I'm too young to remember the 70's but aside from the garish colours and plethora of nylon, I actually think some of the clothes had a better fit. I often see trousers and dresses from then and think they are really nice compared to the shapeless or super skinny things we have today.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Did anyone shop at Brentford Nylons? I can't remember any around Manchester at all.

They had a very of it's time advert with Alan "fluff" Freeman, spoofed by Harry Enfield as Deptford Draylons.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by spookiemoviemania View Post
              The Hawaiian patterned satin shirt was all the go back in the 80s. Everyone wanted one of these shirts. They came in a huge array of patterns and colours and looked great with a pair of black, grey or off white trousers. They looked even more fashionable with a sport jacket. There was one major obstacle to the survival of the Hawaiian satin shirt. They wrinkled if you so much as breathed on them. I remember I had to iron one after almost every use.

It's like the shirt equivalent of the Bermuda shorts thing. The first thing I thought when I saw that picture was Tom Selleck in Magnum PI.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                Did anyone shop at Brentford Nylons? I can't remember any around Manchester at all.

They had a very of it's time advert with Alan "fluff" Freeman, spoofed by Harry Enfield as Deptford Draylons.
                I thought that Brentford only sold sheets and pillowcases rather than clothes - the Nottingham branch was in Broad Marsh, next to the bus station.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yep I can see Magnum wearing the satin shirt. Lucky he had someone else to iron his for him as my wife refused to after the first dozen times.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    I thought that Brentford only sold sheets and pillowcases rather than clothes - the Nottingham branch was in Broad Marsh, next to the bus station.
                    Looking at the ads on You Tube they sold nightwear, which must have been interesting to sleep in if the sheets were nylon as well.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      Looking at the ads on You Tube they sold nightwear, which must have been interesting to sleep in if the sheets were nylon as well.
                      Things that go sparkle in the night...
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                      X