Schools closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools closing

I know I've moaned about this in the past and not wanting to 'do the Monty Python Yorkshireman sketch' but it seems these days schools use ANY excuse to close the school.

Weather's a favourite, water shortage, seems anything will do. All I can say is LUCKY KIDS !

Yeah, yeah I know most kids seem to actually like school these days, but I don't recall EVER having a day off in the 60's or 70's. I remember going to school in the rain, snow and in the power cuts. They nowadays say that teachers can't get to school due to various things so they shut the school. Have they lost the use of their legs ?

I've already done the story about that damn school bus from Tappins that turned up in every weather. That blasted grammar school never shut for anything. Or so it seemed.

What about your schools ? Namby-pamby or open all hours ?

Re: Schools closing

When I first saw this thread, I thought you were referring to schools closing down forever - my comprehensive school closed down for good in July 1995 due to low number of pupils on roll compared to previous years (mostly because there was another comprehensive school nearby), as well as the fact that parents didn't want to take their offspring to that school because it was rough.

But I know what you are referring to, Pussywillow. My schools (well, they were the local education authority's actually) closed for the day on a number of occasions. I assume that kids not coming to school because of no teacher doesn't count here.

My Junior School had closed for the day a couple of times in the 1980s when it was used as a Polling Station for the local and General Elections, even though my family didn't live in that ward. Now, there is a library in that area that is closed on Thursdays, and so that made a more convenient Polling Station instead.

But, I am certain that the schools also closed on various days to bad weather and snow - the teaching staff living miles away being unable to arrive for school, although the caretaker couldn't make that excuse as he was the nearest to the place. BBC Radio Nottingham had its famous Snowline, mentioning which schools were closed, and it was great when my school got a mention - I wouldn't have minded in that case if had snowed between now and next Christmas in that respect! Burst pipes, floods, melted snow, you name it, I am certain that my school had it.

I even attended this drama workshop thing in the early 1990s, and as it was six miles from where I live, I couldn't get there by bus - the place was closed because of the bad weather anyway, and as I was already out trying to get there, I didn't even know about that until later on that day.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember my school closed after lunch one day due to heavy snow.

When my brother was there it closed one day due to a water or gas leak.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

As we have just had a bout of snow (well it has melted a little bit), it will be interesting how many schools will be closed on Monday.

I promise you that this actually happened - one morning, dressed in full school uniform, and I reached the entrance of my Comprehensive School and found it closed. No one else was about. Then it dawned on me - it was the first day of the school holidays and I forgot all about it being closed on that day due to being absent on the final day of the school term. True.
        Last edited by George 1978; 22-01-2018, 01:24.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

In the Lancashire village of Hesketh Bank on the A59 between Preston & Southport, our primary school was closed for the funeral of our headmaster Mr Shackelton

When he was our headmaster, he had a school rule that if we turned up at school not wearing shorts he would send us home

One occasion I turned up wearing jeans. He sent me home. Still wearing the jeans my Mum took me back and said (indirect quote)

"I brought my son (me) to school as it was snowing & you send him home to change into shorts?"
          l=
          My Mum took this to the local authority managing school's
          Last edited by Twocky61; 22-01-2018, 10:02.
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I remember my sister's primary school was closed for in service training one day but my secondary wasn't, though this news didn't get to one boy staring at the gates as I passed by.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember being sent home in the comprehensive quite a few times in winter. Not through snow, but because it was cold. Admittedly, the school was old, but I didn't seem to find it cold. Has soon has the indoor temperature was down below a certain temperature......sent home.
              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Well I don't remember my school being closed for "staff training" when I was there!!!
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

On the other hand, I have often thought that my school was closed when it actually wasn't on that day...
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Well it's snowing in parts of the UK. And guess what, schools are closed ! Ridiculous !

I'm sorry to go on and on, but this is pathetic. They say 'teachers can't get in'. What rot. My old school would've crammed two classes together under one teacher and the caretaker.

Anybody see the picture today in the daily spail with kids playin' in the snow while adults trudge along trying to get to work ? Adults still have to go to work ! Teaching is a job like any other.

When I worked at Harwell, back in the 70's and 80's and on the rare occasion there was snow/ice on the ground or even a heavy storm we 'had to make the attempt to get into work'. We were were never sent home if the weather got bad during the day. Oh no, we had to risk our necks in the dark going home as well.

When I worked at the Hospital many years later, I recall it snowed. Our (useless) computer person (called IT now I suppose) claimed she couldn't get into work. She lived 2 miles away and had a 4 by 4 jeep ! I got in from Gloucester 35 miles away !

Comment

I think sometimes we are over cautious when it comes to snow.

I can remember walking to school in very cold snowy conditions.
                      I think some people only
                      some people just want an excuse not to go to work.

I suppose it depends were the school is.

If its in a very remote place where they get huge amounts of snow then i can understand schools closing.

In norway they get so much snow kids go to school on
                      ski's.

Originally posted by pussywillow View Post
                      well it's snowing in parts of the uk. And guess what, schools are closed ! Ridiculous !

I'm sorry to go on and on, but this is pathetic. They say 'teachers can't get in'. What rot. My old school would've crammed two classes together under one teacher and the caretaker.

Anybody see the picture today in the daily spail with kids playin' in the snow while adults trudge along trying to get to work ? Adults still have to go to work ! Teaching is a job like any other.

When i worked at harwell, back in the 70's and 80's and on the rare occasion there was snow/ice on the ground or even a heavy storm we 'had to make the attempt to get into work'. We were were never sent home if the weather got bad during the day. Oh no, we had to risk our necks in the dark going home as well.

When i worked at the hospital many years later, i recall it snowed. Our (useless) computer person (called it now i suppose) claimed she couldn't get into work. She lived 2 miles away and had a 4 by 4 jeep ! I got in from gloucester 35 miles away !
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                      X