School Disco's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Disco's

The last day at school before Christmas most school's had a 'School's Out' disco

During the day before the disco we would get into the headmaster's/principle's office to play Alice Cooper's hit appropriately called 'School's Out' over the PA

Then at the disco that evening we would spike the punch bowl with vodka

We saw our teachers in a new light being drunk lol
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: School Disco's

The teacher I had an affair with totally let herself go

There was cleavage to us pupils pleasure her being an obliging sort lol
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

My remotest re-collection of the one and probably one (either at primary or secondary I have) is of one at Primary - probably 2 years before moving upto Secondary - so I'd be about 9 or 10 then (or at 8 at push but I doubt I was that age) nad i recall either winning or being given a Toy car - like a Blue Vovlo or something (like a 1960s type) one.

Though par this the only type Secondary ever ever had (or what could even remotley be termed as one) was in a Classroom and/or related to Home Economics (if so)

80sChav

Comment

The school leavers' disco I remember well. For days I had been thinking and fantasising about what my favourite teacher, i.e. the one I most fancied, would be wearing, or hardly wearing, and my chances of a slow dance with her. Come the night and I am in my best clothes with plenty of Brut 33 and I followed 'Enery's advice and splashed it all over. I was absolutely gutted when she didn't attend, though I did get to dance with some cute girls plus my second favourite teacher, who was nice but nowhere the standard of my fave.

Comment

We had them at the end of term just before Christmas. The moral of the discos at my school was not to show off too much on the dance floor - it doesn't do you any favours.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember doing the "grebo" dance to Mud's Tier feet!
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

At junior school there was a kind of disco held once a week in the lunchtime. The teacher would play records of the latest top 40 songs plus one piece of classical music. For some reason I can even now remember dancing to the Osmonds' Crazy Horses one week.

Comment

Lunchtimes were odd times to have school discos - in the middle of the school day, I mean. I would have put them on Friday evenings after school or something. Even Grange Hill had them (well, they did when Ant Jones chatted up Georgina Hayes in the 1986 series if you know what I mean).

Mind you, I always went home for dinner (it didn't bother the lunchtime supervisor staff one iota). How can you let your hair down, so to speak, when it is in the middle of the school day, and still had two hours of lessons afterwards? (I remember a teacher nipping to the pub a few doors down at lunchtimes, so I suppose that anything was possible back then).
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Oh, and end of term discos remind me of this tall girl in our year doing the actions to Ottawan's Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) as well. She seemed to take the same options as me...
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The only school discos I remember was from primary school during the summer holidays. For some reason they done something like fun days for about a year before dropping the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      Lunchtimes were odd times to have school discos - in the middle of the school day, I mean. I would have put them on Friday evenings after school or something. Even Grange Hill had them (well, they did when Ant Jones chatted up Georgina Hayes in the 1986 series if you know what I mean).

Mind you, I always went home for dinner (it didn't bother the lunchtime supervisor staff one iota). How can you let your hair down, so to speak, when it is in the middle of the school day, and still had two hours of lessons afterwards? (I remember a teacher nipping to the pub a few doors down at lunchtimes, so I suppose that anything was possible back then).

At the time it didn't seem odd, but looking back it was, indeed, a strange time for a disco. What made it stranger was that it was held in the school library, which doubled as the television room. I've no idea what the rationale was, but this was the early 70s, and as they say..."The past is another country, they do things different there."

Comment

I only remember them at the end of term or for Comic Relief at primary school.

Most of the ones at secondary school were after school events.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          At the time it didn't seem odd, but looking back it was, indeed, a strange time for a disco. What made it stranger was that it was held in the school library, which doubled as the television room. I've no idea what the rationale was, but this was the early 70s, and as they say..."The past is another country, they do things different there."
                          When you mention discos in the school library, this cover version of Paperback Writer came to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCdHW9tULHM

Dancing in a place where there are books.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

I guess it was more easy than to organise in the Dining Room, George or other Rooms - but at my 2nd Secondary the Head would have had a fit (being the extreme fuddy-duddy he was) contemplating having it in the Library - probably mainly because A) it was a room that lended itself to the most beauty and of Auntique Status in the School (sorry I can not think of a more Apt description) and B0 because it was so tiny too - like 1x 5 if that - but it was a very long room on the plus side - though narrow!

Talking of Grange hill's Lunchtime Disco - you are right re Georgina and Ant, as Ronnie hoped to have Ant as her Boyfriend that Episode - then 4 years later in 1990 Ronnie and callie and may-be Georgina and possibly Robbie too stood outside the Library and made a comment about the Disco Days as younger students!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                            X