Your local live band venue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your local live band venue

During the 70's I was a regular at the Sunday night gigs at my local dance hall (Fridays and saturdays were disco night) A great array of band played there and it was a popular gig on the circuit. Held about 200-300 all standing and i had many a great night there and walk home if the encores went on too long. Pity most bands these days want to play in stadiums!

Check the link for all you 70's rockers

http://www.kinemagigz.com/
    The eyes have it!
    sigpic

Re: Your local live band venue

Some good bands played there..even the Mighty S.A.H.B!

Comment

Yes Daz all the top rock acts of the day, right up until the punk era it was a great venue. Then it closed down for a few years and reserrected itself in various guises over the years since, mainly catering for the disco/dance crowd...ah happy days
      The eyes have it!
      sigpic

Comment

my fave venue used to be the Mayfair in Newcastle, it was a dark intimate venue and i seen some excellent groups play there, Blur, Stiff Little Fingers and the like, it was a shame the council flattened it to make way for a multi-screen cinema and fancy cafe bars .

Comment

The Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh, Essex.

Lots of bands played there, as I was into Hip Hop I saw the following there (among others):

Jungle Brothers
          Ice-T
          Sugar Bear
          London Rhyme Syndicate
          London Posse
          MC Duke
          Syndicate
          Cash Money and Marvelous

Non Hip Hop acts included Corduroy, Bad Manners and Stax Bodene.

Ah! stopping off at the all night bakery to get a freshly baked loaf of bread to eat on the way home!

Comment

Originally posted by rugga View Post
            my fave venue used to be the Mayfair in Newcastle, it was a dark intimate venue and i seen some excellent groups play there, Blur, Stiff Little Fingers and the like, it was a shame the council flattened it to make way for a multi-screen cinema and fancy cafe bars .
            Great venue, Christ I've been in some disgraceful states in that place! Those stairs used to be a long way up at 2AM! Best gig I've ever been to was Portishead in 95, jaw-droppingly good and the venue was so perfect for their mood. Awesome stuff...

As for 'The Gate' which it has now become, one of the tackiest places in town, but no doubt raking the coin. Last time I was in there Kieran Dyer and Titus Shambles were strutting around giving it the big 'un, completely oblivious to the fact no-one was even remotely interested in either of them, it was quite funny actually...
            "My Dad's taller than your Dad."

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
              The Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh, Essex.

Lots of bands played there, as I was into Hip Hop I saw the following there (among others):

Jungle Brothers
              Ice-T
              Sugar Bear
              London Rhyme Syndicate
              London Posse
              MC Duke
              Syndicate
              Cash Money and Marvelous

Ah! stopping off at the all night bakery to get a freshly baked loaf of bread to eat on the way home!
              Sounds good man! Some amazing memories for me too amongst that little lot, not that I've heard any of them live like. You still listening to hip-hop then? I'm pretty out of touch with all these new guys, but the stuff you mention from the golden era still does it for me. Still picking up what I can on ye olde vinyl, hip-hop, funk, soul, jazz, disco, all the good stuff!...
              "My Dad's taller than your Dad."

Comment

Originally posted by Moomin Dave... View Post
                Sounds good man! Some amazing memories for me too amongst that little lot, not that I've heard any of them live like. You still listening to hip-hop then? I'm pretty out of touch with all these new guys, but the stuff you mention from the golden era still does it for me. Still picking up what I can on ye olde vinyl, hip-hop, funk, soul, jazz, disco, all the good stuff!...
                I used to Dj in that era also so still have all my old Hip Hop vinyl, I even brought it all to Australia when I moved here along with my old technics 1210 MkIIs. The genres you listed are the same as the ones I go for.

I always regret never seeing Hijack live as they were awesome. I met a few other bands as we were signed to TamTam records in 91 which was the same label as Silver Bullet (20 seconds to comply, bring forth the guillotine) and Soho (hippychick) mostly from bumping into them at various London recording studios (PM Dawn, Stereo MCs are all I can remember though).

I'm considering getting back into the DJing here and doing some "old school" as I hate all this new rubbish that's out as it seems to have become mainstream (as soon as I get my A into G and get a new mixer as mine developed channel bleed). I am getting into some of the Australian Hip Hop tracks though, it has a freshness to it yet reminds me of the old stuff.

Comment

Unfortunately Taunton hasn't got any live band venues other than the pub circuit, which considering it is the county town of Somerset is a bit poor! The last place was the Odean Cinema but that is now a bingo hall, Queen played there once. Elton John played at the county ground last year and there are plans to hold more concerts there so things are looking up!?

Comment

Working...
                  X