PDA

View Full Version : British coastal towns

George 1978
30-04-2019, 11:38
We probably not realise what wonderful towns we have on the British coast, especially if we go abroad for our holidays. Never mind about the Canaries, you don't need a passport to get to Bridlington or Brighton, even if the seaside postcard stereotype of Punch and Judy shows, raining all day (as if we knew where to get water because of the sea), and "kiss-me-quick" hats all coming to mind. (Apologies to anyone outside Great Britain reading this). I would probably be looking inside the local WHSmith for a local newspaper and a postcard or two instead.

Around 1984, my Infant school offered my year a daytrip to Skegness (aka Nottingham-by-the-Sea) by train which took about two hours to get there - it was probably the first time I had even visited a coastal town. My late mother always used to prefer east coast towns against west coast ones such as Blackpool - probably because she had a bad experience there once, but not in the Alan Bradley vein thank goodness! I mentioned the Blackpool Pontins before - a huge mistake staying there for reasons that I cannot go into.

Mablethorpe was just like Skegness only smaller - a Sunday coach ride during the school holidays circa 1990, starting off on the A52 and then onto the A46 towards Newark and Lincoln (although ironically the A52 eventually arrives in Mablethorpe itself of one follows it from Nottingham). A bit of the A158 east of Lincoln and we were on our way, although we stopped at a farm place near Rand (where the youngsters thought we were already there). Taking notice of road signs and places called Wragby, Market Rasen, Ludford, Horncastle and Legbourne, and getting in Mablethorpe at around 12.30 pm. Someone had written "Wacaday" in the sand there, presumably for Timmy Mallet's benefit in order for a selfie to be sent to the TV-am show. And there was always a couple who disappeared into a pub - never to be seen again.

I suppose that seaports such as Liverpool, Southampton and Plymouth are marginal in that respect - they are cities which have urban areas along to the nearest coast - and the white cliffs of Dover where the edge of the land is higher than sea level.

These days, I stay for a few days in a Premier Inn in the relevant town and visit the local theatre in time for my birthday. I love Cornwall and areas like Penzance and Land's End. As I said before, I am looking at Bournemouth this year because of the annual Air Festival and the theatre offering. I was considering Bridlington last year (Cannon and Ball at the Bridlington Spa ahoy - and I nearly did book tickets as well), until Berkshire took my fancy. I was so close to staying in Southend a few years back, but alas, my favourite hotel chain's rooms were all occupied by the time I tried to book.

Do you think that good old British coastal towns are better than their counterparts on the continent? After all, you never hear British hotels say "don't drink the water"...

Zincubus
30-04-2019, 12:36
Iím thinking we were maybe separated at birth !!

I had / have relatives in Cornwall so our school holidays where spent in St Ives and surrounding areas .... day / weekend trips were usually spent in Scarborough, Whitby and Bridlington .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tex
30-04-2019, 16:28
I love the east coast, used to go to scarborough every august bank holiday between 1990-2002 with my four brothers and my dad, when my dad died it was never quite the same and we stopped going.Great memories of days spent trawling the pubs of scarborough also train trips up the coast to whitby, Filey and Bridlington. Best fish and chips in the country to be found in scarborough ;)

George 1978
30-04-2019, 20:40
I’m thinking we were maybe separated at birth !!

I had / have relatives in Cornwall so our school holidays where spent in St Ives and surrounding areas .... day / weekend trips were usually spent in Scarborough, Whitby and Bridlington.

I enjoyed myself so much during my 2010 visit to Cornwall that I actually put my name down for housing there, despite not knowing anyone there, not having a local connection and it being 325 miles from where I live!

Haven't been to the coast for five years when I stayed in Eastbourne for my birthday - I will try and better myself this year however!

staffslad
01-05-2019, 13:18
Our holidays when I was growing up were mainly spent on the Welsh coast. Rhyl, Llandudno, Aberystwyth, Clarach Bay, Colwyn Bay, Towyn and Prestatyn. I think we went to Skegness and the Isle of Wight one time each. I have very fond memories of those Welsh towns. I remember sunny days, donkey rides on the beach, exploring rockpools, penny bandits, sending postcards to relatives. Most holidays were spent in static caravans on holiday parks.

darren
01-05-2019, 15:08
newcastle county down a place where i spent many happy times

a prety coastal town with the mountains in the background.

and a place i still go.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Newcastle_Donard.jpg

https://www.seaviewapartment.co.uk/images/view.jpg

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/B3TAX4/northern-ireland-county-down-newcastle-the-royal-county-down-golf-B3TAX4.jpg

George 1978
01-05-2019, 15:14
Have those pictures every been officially released as postcards, I wonder?

darren
01-05-2019, 15:18
WHEN IM THERE THEY SELL TONS OF POSTCARDS WITH IMAGES SUCH AS THOSE AND MANY OTHER SIMILAR IMAGES.

https://www.windsorholidaypark.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/4967130611_ca223e6d7e_b.jpg

Have those pictures every been officially released as postcards, I wonder?

80sChav
01-05-2019, 20:37
newcastle county down a place where i spent many happy times

a prety coastal town with the mountains in the background.

and a place i still go.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Newcastle_Donard.jpg

https://www.seaviewapartment.co.uk/images/view.jpg

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/B3TAX4/northern-ireland-county-down-newcastle-the-royal-county-down-golf-B3TAX4.jpg
Darren, the Irish Newcastle looks so qauint and amazing and so different to any Coastal town we have this side of the Water mate - it almost looks like a little Switzerland/or Austria from how I am visualizing this

This is a great thread you have created by the way George - I'd like to think I have been to a fair whack of the English Coastal Towns as I have sai in the "Holidays Thread", and i think Blackpool and Skeggy-Vegas (Skegness) are my faves!! The places I have not been - are like swaives of Devon and the East Down from Gt Yarmouth and Kent etc. You bit about Southend strikes a chord - as that is one place I have never been there and at one point would have termed it like Liverpool and Plymouth etc as it was so "London".

North and South Shields are two places on my list that are struggling to happen but i hope they. Re; Brid fair play to you as the "New" Spa is ace but as born and bread Yorkshireman I can say Brid really, really is a horrid place and gives Coastal Resorts a bad name - thougb of course even established and once very respected ones like scarbrough are arttracting un-desirables now sadly

80sChav

tex
02-05-2019, 10:53
Darren, the Irish Newcastle looks so qauint and amazing and so different to any Coastal town we have this side of the Water mate - it almost looks like a little Switzerland/or Austria from how I am visualizing this

This is a great thread you have created by the way George - I'd like to think I have been to a fair whack of the English Coastal Towns as I have sai in the "Holidays Thread", and i think Blackpool and Skeggy-Vegas (Skegness) are my faves!! The places I have not been - are like swaives of Devon and the East Down from Gt Yarmouth and Kent etc. You bit about Southend strikes a chord - as that is one place I have never been there and at one point would have termed it like Liverpool and Plymouth etc as it was so "London".

North and South Shields are two places on my list that are struggling to happen but i hope they. Re; Brid fair play to you as the "New" Spa is ace but as born and bread Yorkshireman I can say Brid really, really is a horrid place and gives Coastal Resorts a bad name - thougb of course even established and once very respected ones like scarbrough are arttracting un-desirables now sadly

80sChav

Don't know if you been to Blackpool in the past 30 years Chav but it really needs some TLC, i took my son last year for the illuminations and apart from the new music hall paving opposite the tower it looked just like it did in the 70s...ie orrible. Homeless beggars everywhere,crumbling guest houses,pubs full of hen parties,the inescapable whaft of boiled onions, two delapidated piers, a funfair you can no longer enter without coughing up £15, fed up donkeys being forced to haul fat *** kids up and down the beach,pay to go up the tower then pay again to go in the ballroom, endless shops flogging rock thats been sat on the shelves since 1972, gift shops flogging tacky glass souvenirs,pub front beer gardens painted with seagull ****, horse **** on the roads,and ofcourse rain,rain and more rain...Give me scarbrough any day and i'm a lancashire lad ;)

darren
02-05-2019, 11:08
YES I LIKE THAT THOUGHT A MINI SWITZERLAND OR AUSTRIA

ANOTHER FAVE IS PORTRUSH PICS BELOW WHICH IS THE AS FAR NORTH AS U CAN GO.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwtCGygMEKE2nFyxSOya1lzwR0dn2g5 F8JKgEgmZ35RBuLEd0ReA

https://www.philiptweedie.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/04-West-Quays-Phase-1-Location-Aerial-e1524471601837.jpg

https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Portrush-aerial.jpg

80sChav

Zincubus
02-05-2019, 17:31
I love the east coast, used to go to scarborough every august bank holiday between 1990-2002 with my four brothers and my dad, when my dad died it was never quite the same and we stopped going.Great memories of days spent trawling the pubs of scarborough also train trips up the coast to whitby, Filey and Bridlington. Best fish and chips in the country to be found in scarborough ;)

We probably rubbed shoulders all those years without even knowing :)

80sChav
02-05-2019, 20:05
YES I LIKE THAT THOUGHT A MINI SWITZERLAND OR AUSTRIA

ANOTHER FAVE IS PORTRUSH PICS BELOW WHICH IS THE AS FAR NORTH AS U CAN GO.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwtCGygMEKE2nFyxSOya1lzwR0dn2g5 F8JKgEgmZ35RBuLEd0ReA

https://www.philiptweedie.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/04-West-Quays-Phase-1-Location-Aerial-e1524471601837.jpg

https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Portrush-aerial.jpg
Portrush looks lovely too Darren mate, it reminds me a bit of South Wales (or of pictures I have seen of it), but both Portrush and Newcastle are places in Ireland I'd desire to vist mate!!

Is'nt Larne a Seaside/Coastal Town too btw?

Yes Tex I have been to Blackpool and I think it needs more than TLC- though the place has been run-down 15 years or 20 I'd say, but it is terrible what has become of one of England's Greatest Resort I feel. It was so loved and now has gone the other way - I am safe to say too I think it was one of the only places on the Coasts that attracted people from all 4 Home Nations too in it's heyday!
80sChav

zabadak
03-05-2019, 12:45
I spent a large chunk of my childhood living in Devon. You know, the fat bit? We were smack bang in the middle of that and, with 19th century transport links seemingly still in place, it meant we could only get to the coast by car. Our car was a crapped-out old banger which meant doing that was a major undertaking (well, we couldn't overtake!)! :o

I used to like to go to Sidmouth - not much of a resort but the (apparently year-round) bracing weather was good for clearing the cobwebs away. And the cream teas - yum! :D

darren
03-05-2019, 15:35
Larne is a seaport and industrial market town, as well as a civil parish, on the east coast of County Antrim.
larne
https://www.cruisemapper.com/images/ports/12136-db1027e8fc.jpg

Portrush looks lovely too Darren mate, it reminds me a bit of South Wales (or of pictures I have seen of it), but both Portrush and Newcastle are places in Ireland I'd desire to vist mate!!

Is'nt Larne a Seaside/Coastal Town too btw?

Yes Tex I have been to Blackpool and I think it needs more than TLC- though the place has been run-down 15 years or 20 I'd say, but it is terrible what has become of one of England's Greatest Resort I feel. It was so loved and now has gone the other way - I am safe to say too I think it was one of the only places on the Coasts that attracted people from all 4 Home Nations too in it's heyday!
80sChav

George 1978
29-05-2019, 23:31
When it comes to booking package holidays for coastal resorts, be careful. I looked at the Shearings website and nearly decided to book their five day excursion for Bournemouth, only to find that the return journey home was on my birthday - the one day when I have always decided to stay at the destination, and that I have booked things for! Back to the drawing board, methinks...

At first, I thought that they weren't counting the outward and return journeys within those five days, but now I have realised that they were including those days as part of the journey.

Zincubus
30-05-2019, 06:24
I recall that when I was around ten years old ( so around 1968) we started hanging our annual holiday in SWANAGE !!!

Iíve never even heard its name mentioned since !

My dad was a keen fisherman so we spent much of each day rid fishing on the pier ... the only thing I recall was that there was a huge , glass tank on the pier that the local scuba club used to train new members ..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190530/22602ee68d550e8bf6104db13a5f7c77.jpg

80sChav
07-07-2019, 15:31
South and North Shields have very recently now been added to my bucket list/ticked off list - which I am pleased to say

Southend and Lowestoft still remain targets though .... though I don't know when lol

George 1978
05-09-2019, 00:42
Well, I visited Bournemouth last week and it was a relief to forget about the problems that I have recently had. Their local theatre was good as well... (see other thread for details).

zabadak
05-09-2019, 12:55
Been there once, I recall it had a good beach! :)

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6222&stc=1

Danniella
06-09-2019, 10:45
I visited Scarborough at Easter, it was lovely, we stayed at The Grand, right near the tram that takes people up and down the steep hill. I first met my (late) husband in Scarborough and it was the first time I'd been back since his passing.

Zincubus
06-09-2019, 11:09
I visited Scarborough at Easter, it was lovely, we stayed at The Grand, right near the tram that takes people up and down the steep hill. I first met my (late) husband in Scarborough and it was the first time I'd been back since his passing.

I absolutely love Scarborough , itís one of my three favourite places in the whole world along with St Ives and Lindos , Rhodes .

Incidentally thereís a brand new drama series starting tonight at 9pm .. based and filmed in Scarborough and interestingly called Scarborough :)

George 1978
06-09-2019, 15:43
I visited Scarborough myself when the local bus company did Sunday daytrips in around August 1995, and the following week we went to Great Yarmouth. My late mother used to prefer East Coast towns rather than West Coast ones apparently.

Scarborough is obviously not too far from Bridlington which I was considering going to last year because Cannon and Ball were doing a season at the local theatre.

tex
06-09-2019, 16:15
I absolutely love Scarborough , it’s one of my three favourite places in the whole world along with St Ives and Lindos , Rhodes .

Incidentally there’s a brand new drama series starting tonight at 9pm .. based and filmed in Scarborough and interestingly called Scarborough :)

Watched a very funny film the other week called "little voice" it was filmed in scarborough, the film starred Micheal (turn nothing down) caine who is seen in one scene leaving a pub which was renamed for the film but was once called The Leeds, the reason i mention it is because i once stayed there for a weekend....my claim to fame! :D

tex
06-09-2019, 16:20
I visited Scarborough myself when the local bus company did Sunday daytrips in around August 1995, and the following week we went to Great Yarmouth. My late mother used to prefer East Coast towns rather than West Coast ones apparently.

Scarborough is obviously not too far from Bridlington which I was considering going to last year because Cannon and Ball were doing a season at the local theatre.

Love that coast line...Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington and Whitby which is where count Dracula sailed into aboard the Demitar.

Zincubus
06-09-2019, 17:27
Love that coast line...Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington and Whitby which is where count Dracula sailed into aboard the Demitar.

Yeah ... many of my school hols seemed to involve those harbour towns then summer meant Cornwall

zabadak
09-09-2019, 12:53
Yep - "Scabby" is highly thought of among the locals, I hear! :)

tex
09-09-2019, 16:42
My sister was in Scabby with her family recently, she was sat outside the teapot cafe which is right up at the fairground end having a brew, she described hearing a screech of tyres and then a bang, she looked round to see a young father and his toddler son lay in the road after being knocked down by a motorist who had hit a wet patch of road and lost control, she said it spoilt the rest of her holiday...she never did find out if the lad and his dad survived :(

Zincubus
09-09-2019, 19:04
My sister was in Scabby with her family recently, she was sat outside the teapot cafe which is right up at the fairground end having a brew, she described hearing a screech of tyres and then a bang, she looked round to see a young father and his toddler son lay in the road after being knocked down by a motorist who had hit a wet patch of road and lost control, she said it spoilt the rest of her holiday...she never did find out if the lad and his dad survived :(

Thatís so very sad...

About ten years ago we were in Bridlington one evening watching the youngsters diving / jumping in the sea off the harbour wall .. there must have been a hundred people watching them and then suddenly there were screams of horror .. some local teenager thought it was funny to push one of the watchers off the wall into the sea BUT he actually pushed the poor lad down onto the STONE steps !!

Everyone stayed for ages as the ambulance guys worked on the lad on the steps .. I still donít know why they just didnít move him to the ambulance straight away .. I presume the lad must have survived as I saw that the culprit was charged with assault ..

We havenít been back to Bridlington since

Danniella
10-09-2019, 14:34
Thatís so very sad...

About ten years ago we were in Bridlington one evening watching the youngsters diving / jumping in the sea off the harbour wall .. there must have been a hundred people watching them and then suddenly there were screams of horror .. some local teenager thought it was funny to push one of the watchers off the wall into the sea BUT he actually pushed the poor lad down onto the STONE steps !!

Everyone stayed for ages as the ambulance guys worked on the lad on the steps .. I still donít know why they just didnít move him to the ambulance straight away .. I presume the lad must have survived as I saw that the culprit was charged with assault ..

We havenít been back to Bridlington since

Patients who have fallen from a height can't be moved straight away Incase of neck/spinal injuries, they have to be assessed, then the rescue has to be risk assessed.
I've been out a few times with paramedics as I'm a junior doctor.☺

Danniella
10-09-2019, 14:40
I absolutely love Scarborough , it’s one of my three favourite places in the whole world along with St Ives and Lindos , Rhodes .

Incidentally there’s a brand new drama series starting tonight at 9pm .. based and filmed in Scarborough and interestingly called Scarborough :)

I didn't get to watch it as i was working night shifts. Was it any good?
I've never been to St. Ives, it's a place I've wanted to visit for a while though. ☺

Zincubus
10-09-2019, 15:57
I didn't get to watch it as i was working night shifts. Was it any good?
I've never been to St. Ives, it's a place I've wanted to visit for a while though. [emoji5]

Well .... sadly the script didnít live up to the Scarborough backdrop . The opening credits showing Scarborough was the highlight

tex
10-09-2019, 16:30
Well .... sadly the script didn’t live up to the Scarborough backdrop . The opening credits showing Scarborough was the highlight

i agree, found it rather dull

Danniella
11-09-2019, 10:10
Well .... sadly the script didn’t live up to the Scarborough backdrop . The opening credits showing Scarborough was the highlight

That's a shame but i didn't miss much by the sound of it.
I would love to see a documentary on Scarborough, I've looked a few times online but never had any luck.

Danniella
11-09-2019, 10:17
Has anyone been to see Blackpool Illuminations yet? I usually go every year with my family, we drive the length of the prom taking in all the lights, then have fish and chips before we leave. We used to stay over but in recent years Blackpool has gone downhill, it's not the kind of place to have a family break there now, too many stag and hen parties for my liking, but I'll always visit each autumn just to see the lights. ☺

zabadak
11-09-2019, 13:11
My maternal grandfather lived in Blackburn so, when we went to visit, we would often go to Blackpool. We are talking 30+ years ago!

The last time I went there was in the late 90s for a stag do.

Not (yet) ever been to the illuminations but would love to! :)

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6224&stc=1

George 1978
11-09-2019, 15:21
Apart from the Blackpool Pontins that I mentioned at the beginning, my family went on a daytrip to Blackpool in 1992 - the day (or should I say night) that the illuminations were switched on that year by Lisa Stansfield (I don't remember her being the celebrity doing that in 1992, but online sources say that she did do the honours that year). We were there until after around 10.30 pm when the coach left Blackpool, and we got back to Nottingham at 1.30 am. My late mother actually left her handbag on the coach, so she spent the remainder of the early hours of the morning going to the depot to get it back again - by that time it was gone 3.00 am.

Something always happens when I go there - only a couple of years ago I went on another daytrip there, only the weather and the coach almost packing up meant that we only got as far as Manchester and that we had to turn round and go back again. We got vouchers for a free trip though which I used.

Zincubus
11-09-2019, 16:58
Has anyone been to see Blackpool Illuminations yet? I usually go every year with my family, we drive the length of the prom taking in all the lights, then have fish and chips before we leave. We used to stay over but in recent years Blackpool has gone downhill, it's not the kind of place to have a family break there now, too many stag and hen parties for my liking, but I'll always visit each autumn just to see the lights. [emoji5]

Weíd only EVER go to Blackpool to see the illuminations and havenít been for donkeys years .. oddly we are thinking of going this year .. but spending the afternoon at one of the nearby resorts , having tea there then hopping on a tram and do the the trip to Blackpool - through the Illuminations and back .

See the illuminations without even setting foot on Blackpool :)

The only quandary is that itís got to be dark to appreciate the lights and Iím not sure I can spend the afternoon and early evening in Cleveleys or whatever as they appear to close the 5 oíclock and I never feel comfortable in pubs

Zincubus
11-09-2019, 17:36
This is a rather nice video

https://youtu.be/-qlP8kWZ0Mo

tex
11-09-2019, 17:57
This is a rather nice video

https://youtu.be/-qlP8kWZ0Mo

Enjoyed that...this fella gets around!

tex
11-09-2019, 18:04
Has anyone been to see Blackpool Illuminations yet? I usually go every year with my family, we drive the length of the prom taking in all the lights, then have fish and chips before we leave. We used to stay over but in recent years Blackpool has gone downhill, it's not the kind of place to have a family break there now, too many stag and hen parties for my liking, but I'll always visit each autumn just to see the lights. ☺

Blackpool is down the road from me here in Manchester, you are correct Nuggy it has been going downhill for decades in spite of millions being spent on the promenade, they need to shut all the grotty boarding houses, sweep the beggars off the pavements and ban hen parties. I also resent having to pay to enter the funfair :( Saw the illuminations last year....boring

Zincubus
11-09-2019, 19:05
Blackpool is down the road from me here in Manchester, you are correct Nuggy it has been going downhill for decades in spite of millions being spent on the promenade, they need to shut all the grotty boarding houses, sweep the beggars off the pavements and ban hen parties. I also resent having to pay to enter the funfair :( Saw the illuminations last year....boring
This maybe false memory syndrome or something but about 15 years ago , my brother in law kindly took us just see the sea front and illuminations .. we parked up and started walking along the front and Iím sure that the first thing we saw was a lap dance / strip club !!

George 1978
11-09-2019, 21:24
I would love to have a good look at that Comedy Carpet or whatever it is called in Blackpool - I believe that it has a lot of quotations and catchphrases from various comedians from the past. Has anyone had a good look at it for themselves?

tex
12-09-2019, 08:54
I would love to have a good look at that Comedy Carpet or whatever it is called in Blackpool - I believe that it has a lot of quotations and catchphrases from various comedians from the past. Has anyone had a good look at it for themselves?

Yes, saw it last year...Its best viewed from the top of the tower....sorry the pictures are upside down :)

tex
12-09-2019, 08:58
Off to Southport for a couple days, it's our 38th wedding anniversary :)

zabadak
12-09-2019, 12:23

Have a great time, Tex (and Mrs. Tex) :)

Zincubus
12-09-2019, 12:32

38 years !!

I think we are slightly ahead of you ..
Married in Dec 1980 so thatís very nearly 39 years by my calculations
- weíve been Ďtogetherí since 1977 though ...

George 1978
12-09-2019, 22:24
Yes, saw it last year...Its best viewed from the top of the tower....sorry the pictures are upside down :)

I have only seen photographs of it, but I do know that Brucie's "nice to see you, to see you, nice" is written a lot bigger than anything else on there.

tex
13-09-2019, 16:49
38 years !!

I think we are slightly ahead of you ..
Married in Dec 1980 so that’s very nearly 39 years by my calculations
- we’ve been ‘together’ since 1977 though ...

In that case i gotcha beat by 1 year 1976 we met, hottest summer on record at the time :)

tex
13-09-2019, 16:57
Have a great time, Tex (and Mrs. Tex) :)

Thanks Zabadak, we had a lovely time. Southport was a pleasant surprise probably helped by the pleasant weather.. (two pleasants in the same sentence...how pleasant).

Zincubus
13-09-2019, 20:16
In that case i gotcha beat by 1 year 1976 we met, hottest summer on record at the time :)

Impressive !!

:)

Our little game reminds me of that old joke where the guy brags that theyíre had 15 years of wedded bliss .... 1961 , 1965 , 1973 ... 1979....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danniella
14-09-2019, 05:55

Totally agree! I once saw a guy sat on the floor begging for money in his bare feet, his mate was further up the road in his bare feet too begging for money!
Those boarding houses are filthy, i booked into one in my teens, when i got there i noticed the towels in the room hadn't been changed and the bed looked like it had only just been vacated, all messed up with flattened pillows, i left via the back door which was the quickest way out! ☺
On another occasion i was in a fish and chips restaurant in one of the big arcades, my nephew had a tub of money, anyway as we were busy eating the tub of money was swiped, the only person who actually past our table was the waitress who i accused of stealing my nephews money, she denied it so i asked for the manager and told him to check the cctv, his exact words to me were 'the cctv is just for show the cameras are duds', I've never stepped foot in that place again, my nephew had about 8 pound in his tub which he'd saved up himself.

Danniella
14-09-2019, 06:01

That's one of the good things about Blackpool, I've seen it many times and some of the jokes had me laughing out loud!

Danniella
14-09-2019, 06:07
That's sweet, Happy Anniversary!!
I lost my husband after being married for just a short time in very tragic circumstances.

I've been to Southport as I'm not that far in Liverpool, the fair isn't as good as it used to be but I've got lots of happy memories of Southport. ☺

Zincubus
14-09-2019, 12:34
Totally agree! I once saw a guy sat on the floor begging for money in his bare feet, his mate was further up the road in his bare feet too begging for money!

Iíve got a couple of funny stories about beggars !

I always give them a quid or ask if they want a hot dog or whatever .. being a right softie ..

A few weeks ago we had a really cold day so when I past this bloke sat in the subway I asked if he wanted a hot dog .. he replied ...Ē can I have a hamburger instead .... with tomato sauce , no onions ď !!

Then last year I past one sat outside Boots , crosses legged reading a book .. there was no hat on the floor so just reached down and placed about £1.30 in silver next to him ..and said ď all right, bud ď .
As I walked away the bloke angrily shouted ď HEY !!!! ď

I didnít look back !!

I guessed immediately that he wasnít begging just waiting for his wife or someone !!

tex
14-09-2019, 12:49
I’ve got a couple of funny stories about beggars !

I always give them a quid or ask if they want a hot dog or whatever .. being a right softie ..

A few weeks ago we had a really cold day so when I past this bloke sat in the subway I asked if he wanted a hot dog .. he replied ...” can I have a hamburger instead .... with tomato sauce , no onions “ !!

Then last year I past one sat outside Boots , crosses legged reading a book .. there was no hat on the floor so just reached down and placed about £1.30 in silver next to him ..and said “ all right, bud “ .
As I walked away the bloke angrily shouted “ HEY !!!! “

I didn’t look back !!

I guessed immediately that he wasn’t begging just waiting for his wife or someone !!

Thats so funny...:D

tex
14-09-2019, 18:58
Coincidentally the government have just announced a sixty nine million pound investment in britains high streets, both scarborough and Blackpool will benefit from the cash splash which is intended to revive the high streets flagging sales which have been badly affected by online sales.....SUPER :)

George 1978
14-09-2019, 20:12
That's one of the good things about Blackpool, I've seen it many times and some of the jokes had me laughing out loud!

Wouldn't it be brilliant if one could get a replica of that comedy carpet from a Blackpool souvenir shop? After all, one can get models of the Blackpool Tower there.

Danniella
22-09-2019, 08:01
Wouldn't it be brilliant if one could get a replica of that comedy carpet from a Blackpool souvenir shop? After all, one can get models of the Blackpool Tower there.

That would be great, I'd certainly buy one!
I have an inflatable Blackpool Tower and a collection of postcards and keyrings so a replica of the comedy carpet would be most welcome ☺