Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raleigh Budgie,who had one.......

DYR...

The Raleigh Budgie the younger brother/sister of the Raleigh Chopper.
    What a 70's icon,a fantastic bike when you rode it at top speed you felt like you were doing 60mph yet you were doing 6mph in your slippers..........
    No seriously I'm 33 and I've just bought another one to restore (Midlife crisis) i think...............

Let me know your memories about your Raleigh Budgie and I'l let you know mine.......... 60mph wey hey...........
    sigpic

Re: The Raleigh Budgie,who had one.......

I never had one, but a friend did. He tried a wheelie once and the handle bars came off
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

i had a tomahawk which was the bike in between the chopper & the budgie. my mates sister had a budgie, we used to 'borrow it' because of the immense bunny-hops you could do on it

Comment

I never had a Budgie,Tomahawk,Chipper or Chopper:cry:
        but I did have a Grifter
        Last edited by Heather74; 13-04-2008, 17:19.

Comment

I had a tomahawk too - but ALWAYS wanted a BMX after I outgrew it (but never got one)

Comment

I never had any of those bikes. I had one of those that you could fold up. A blue one, it was. I never did get the hang of riding it though.
            Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

After all the "home-made" bikes my dad made us from bits from the tip I got a Raleigh Boxer, My bro had a Tomahawk then a Raleigh Arena. I then got a Raleigh Burner which i eventually upgraded to a "proper BMX" but never got the P.K Ripper I hankered after.

I have a BMX now, an early 90s chrome GT Performer. I want some black Skyway Tuff IIs for it but they're too expensive for the limited use it gets.

Comment

i had a a raleigh commando , then a chopper, grifter, and finally a blue bomber.

one or two other frankensteins monster in between.

Comment

i remember getting a grifter just as the bmx craze hit town, grifters were so so heavy and trying to do a wheelie or jumps was an absolute nightmare. always wanted a bmx but never ever got one

Comment

Yep, solidly made the old Grifter,loved everything about mine except the stupid twister gears.
                    Took a hell of a lot of punishment, probably the only bike I had whose wheels I didn't manage to buckle going up and down pavements
                    Last edited by sixtyten; 30-04-2007, 23:37.

Comment

After my Raleigh Budgie my first grown up bike as far as i was concerned was a Releigh Strika and my brother had a Raleigh Grifter. The Grifter he had i tried to jump a ramp that was made up of a board and a washing machine,which of course as the grifter left the ramp i and the bike plummeted to the floor and i came of worse with 7 stitches to my chin....

So lesson is dont jump ramps on the Raleigh Grifter....
                      sigpic

Comment

on my grifter it was the forks that need replacing probably caused by too many heavy landings from ramps etc. i also had a strika, it only had a visible front brake and to use the back brake you had to back pedal to activate it. anyone else have a strika like that?

Comment

Nope..Not very aerodynamic
                          we used to make our ramp bikes from spare parts, light as possible,no brakes,no mudguards,wide cowhorns...they used to fly
                          Thinking back,we used to do stupid jumps I would not dream of nowadays,but you alway think you are indestructable as a kid. a plack of wood and a pile of bricks stacked one on top of the other (single bricks) is NOT a safe ramp!
                          Last edited by sixtyten; 30-04-2007, 23:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                            Nope..Not very aerodynamic
                            we used to make our ramp bikes from spare parts, light as possible,no brakes,no mudguards,wide cowhorns...they used to fly
                            I remember the Cow horns bikes all the older lads had them and i always wanted one of them to make me one up..........
                            But no,no one ever did and then i got my Strika and forgot all about it i think.................
                            sigpic

Comment

I have looked on Ebay for cowhorns. I was gonna build myself another one,but I've never got round to it

Comment

Working...
                              X