Play Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play Scheme

Did anyone else's school have a holiday playscheme, ours was run by the local police, Kind of like a Youth club, but you got to sign up for day trips and activities too.
    Made the 5 weeks summer holiday a little less painful for parents.
    Last edited by Heather74; 22-05-2007, 21:58.
    Heather

Re: Play Scheme

yes had playscheme but run by volunteer teachers & youth workers.
    Obviously a tuff place where you grew up Huggs

We had six weeks holidays ?
    1st 3 weeks had the playscheme - mornings (If I could get up!) were generally (for me) footy - 5 a-side in the gym
    Afternoons were Cricket, table tennis, tennis, pool.

There were other activities on offer but at the time I was sport mad.

Gosh completely forgot about playschemes - Don't run anything for kids now - I think ??

Comment

LOL Burbs its not that bad, you survived working here!!!
      We only had the 5 weeks, its six now,and no nothing like that now,suppose its all this accident claim stuff, no one dares do anything.
      Heather

Comment

Strange how yours was called Playscheme too - unless it was a nationwide thing. Ours was run by parents and volunteers and took place in the "big school" - so I got a taste of comprehensive at the age of 5 - about 8. Every summer holidays it would open up the temporary classrooms and swimming pool and have a host of activitites

Comment

Play schemes the one round are way was run by Y.A.T (Youth action Tameside)
          Which consisted of two weeks taken out of our six week holidays in the summer.
          The organiser of the Play scheme was a neighbor from across the road and my mum was a volunteer,which was good because we could always blag extra cash on the day trips.
          The play scheme was also based at a secondry school,we had day trips,inflatables and general madcap kids mayhem.I also later went on to work as a volunteer when i was a teenager.....

Oh Play schemes bring them back for the kids,give them something to look forward to and keep them off the streets.
          sigpic

Comment

Yep we had playchemes too. I remember going to two, one in 1979 and one in 1981.

The 1981 one was fantastic.

We had sports events culminating a finals day, our scheme came runners up in the Rounders competition, and I got a silver medal, whih i think is still in the back of a drawer somewhere.

We also had cinema trips, i remember going to see Condorman (remember that with Michael Crawford?) and also For Your Eyes Only. There were various other trips and thingsorganised too.

It was a great summer , we also used to get big Devonshire splits from Greggs everyday
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

[quote=Burbs]
              We had six weeks holidays ?

We only got 5, because we had another holiday called "The potters fortnight" aka "The potters holidays"
              Last edited by Heather74; 25-05-2007, 11:49.
              Heather

Comment

The play scheme run by the police was S.P.A.C.E ...I cant remember what is stood for.... answers on a postcard....or better still on here!

Mitchell High School Still do a Play Scheme my lad goes after school and during the holidays.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X