American Civil War Trading Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Civil War Trading Cards

This might actually be a 60s thing but does anyone remember those gory picture cards that came with a small piece of brittle pink bubble gum and depicted scenes from the American civil war? (usually people being killed horribly, buckets of blood everywhere). There were also cards depicting a Martian invasion- subject matter along the same lines: blood, mutilation, horrible death etc. You don't see a lot of this kind of stuff anymore (or did I just dream it?)

Anyway let me know if you remember and did they help turn you into a psychopath or cyclepath or whatever.
    Dekster

Re: Trading Cards

The first set are Civil War News
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_News

The second set you mention are the original Mars Attacks cards (which the film was based on)
    http://www.marsattacksfan.com/homepage.htm
    Last edited by sixtyten; 31-05-2007, 12:12.

Comment

American Civil War Cards

I used to collect these cards in the early 60's, they came in a grease proof paper with a flat bubble gum inside.

Each one depicted a different scene, with General Grant and General Lee in most of them.

I had over 100 of them and I bet they would be worth something now.

The Man from Uncle did the same thing.

Comment

Re: American Civil War Cards

I collected those cards too I'm sure I had at least a couple of full sets. They were if I recall very gory, horses and men impaled on spikes in one if I recall correctly. I'm also sure there were lots of other sets to collect at the same time( other than the footie ones everyone can remember) WWII seems to ring a bell with lots of card depicting those nasty Nips!!!
        The eyes have it!
        sigpic

Comment

Re: American Civil War Trading Cards

There was another 'mid-sxties' set I used to get that was ( vague memories) Outer Limit based. All these normal looking men taking off sunglasses to reveal checked eyeballs etc while cops stared in horror....
          Can't remember if they were also a Topps product

Comment

every so often a packet would also contain a fake confederate dollar as well. These turn up on ebay on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Dekster View Post
              This might actually be a 60s thing but does anyone remember those gory picture cards that came with a small piece of brittle pink bubble gum and depicted scenes from the American civil war? (usually people being killed horribly, buckets of blood everywhere). There were also cards depicting a Martian invasion- subject matter along the same lines: blood, mutilation, horrible death etc. You don't see a lot of this kind of stuff anymore (or did I just dream it?)

Anyway let me know if you remember and did they help turn you into a psychopath or cyclepath or whatever.
              ACW cards - Yes I remember these very well indeed.

I seem to think that the flat square of chewing gum (don't think it was bubble gum ?) was horrible. First thing you threw away after the wrapper. Wish I'd kept the cards. You can still buy them on ebay but they won't be the same unless they smell of the chewing gum !

As a boy into cowboys and indians in the late 60's I also collected Custer Cards , which were stills from a series that must have been running around that time.

Don't think I ever came across anyone else who collected either of these cards. Anybody remember how much they were to buy ? 6d something like that ?

Comment

Working...
              X