The Tripods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tripods

was this a rip off of war of the worlds???

I vaguely remember the 3 legged machines and they were enslaving humans or something similar
    Definition of a Transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink and be Mary! .

I used to love this show.

There should have been 3 series made, but because of poor ratings, only 2 were made, leaving the viewer somewhat lost!
    The series was based on the trilogy by John Christopher, and there was an element of "War of the Worlds" about it. The aliens inside the tripods were from the planet Trion, and had taken over mankind by "Capping" them when they reached a certain age. (16?). This had the effect of making people docile, and therefore under the Tripods control.
    The hero was Will Parker, who, with his cousin Henry, went on the run from them when he was due to be capped. The duo joined the resistance movement, The Network.
    They did in fact enter the Tripods "City of Gold" in the second (and, in my opinion, superior, ) series , but it was here we were left in the dark when the resistance HQ was destroyed. I guess you just have to read the books!

I remember the theme quite well too, as it was written by Ken Freeman, who provides the music for "Casualty" and "Holby City" - they do bear a resemblance if you listen!
    Old enough to know better...

Comment

thanks popsicle, the memory has come flooding back. Now all i have to do is read the last book - oh and find the theme tune!!
      Definition of a Transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink and be Mary! .

Comment

The three books (The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead and The Pool of Fire) have all been re-issued on a regular basis, and should be quite easy to find.

I have an old vinyl album called "Telly Hits" which features The Tripods theme, but it should be available elsewhere I think.
        I Googled under Tripods and there are lots of websites devoted to the show, and info on books etc is given.

I liked http://www.thetripods.org
        Old enough to know better...

Comment

Re: The Tripods

I think at the end of the series they got the the Tripod city (near the Alps?) where they became servants. I think there was a French guy called Beanpole and a German lad called Fritz!?

Also, according to IMDb, there is talk of a movie. Whether this is a 'remake' as such I don't know, but here's a link to IMDb anyway.

The Tripods (2012)

Comment

The 1953 film version deviated from the original book in that they were not conceved to be based on tripods such as the 2005 version.The book has been adapted for various productions.
            sigpic

Comment

I really liked this when it was on.

One thing that didn't help the TV adaptation was that the material from the books were stetched out, when normally they are contracted.

I'll have to track down the books some time.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes I used to love this although I think I was too young to understand it properly.

Comment

I was thinking about The Tripods the other day, when I dug out the 7" single I bought of the theme many moons ago.

I don't remember too much about it. It was supposed to be set in the future wasn't it, but everyone had a horse and cart. I also remember the triangular metal things implanted into their heads, which you could see under their hair.
                  "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

I always thought that it was a film called Day of the Triffids :s

Comment

The first series was in all the shops a few years ago, then there was a big delay -something to do with licensing for a possible movie or somesuch-before the second series came out.
                      I bought the first donkys' ago and I've only seen the second series on sale in a doublepack with the first...moan, moan moan
                      I remember watching it as a kid, and there seemed to be some sort of resolution with the hero killing a live tripod leader.

Comment

Haven't seen it for years but i know i have it on tape.

Comment

John Christopher also wrote a prequel called When the Tripods Came.

Comment

never read the books so i dont know how close the bbc 1 show was in relation to the books.

but it was a frightening show people being sucked into these giant silver machines so tall.

i think the 3rd series never made it to tv.

http://youtu.be/qLeqqG4sKik
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've heard at least once that someone had bought the film rights to the series.

Considering the BBC had to pad out the TV version it might work better as a series of films.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X