Photos of boring things past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of boring things past

Have you ever wished you'd taken more photos as a kid? And not just on holiday but of the everyday things like your bedroom, your friends, your garden, the shops, playing with Action Man or Evel Kinevel in the garden?

Sure, I have some pics of me at Christmas, on the beach and at weddings but only a few of friends I've not now seen for decades.

It's something I'm trying to make sure my son doesn't miss out on (and, of course, it's so much easier now). They may seem like dull photos now but I hope he might get a kick out of the nostalgia when he stumbles across them in 30-40 years time.

Re: Photos of boring things past

Old friends and Neighbours has to be top of the list, Neighbours that were so close you called them "Aunty and Uncle", and they just popped around.
    Photographs of the houses I grew up in.Inside and out, and of course the Gardens, local play areas, brooks, fields and ponds.A photograph as proof I was once brave enough to hold frogs,snails, worms and spiders etc.
    The bonfires and penny for the guys we built/made.
    All the pets we have owned.The schools I went too and inside each classroom (my infants school no longer stands):cry: Awful to think you can never go back for a look.
    My kids groan each time i pull out my camera, but hopefully one day they will be glad, they have a mum who snaps away at everything they do!!
    Last edited by Heather74; 10-08-2007, 16:16.
    Heather

Comment

Absolutely - have only 3 albums of my years 0-10. Only took pics at Christmas, summer holidays. Have no photos of my bedroom over the years and only 1 of my best friend. Have been asking around people and have managed to get a few extra pictures...but nowhere near enough.

Comment

Last birthday we gave our eldest (8) a 4mp digital camera with a 1mb memory card all brought for less than £40 - up to yet we have nearly 1000 completely dull and useless photos which we intend to fill cheep Cd's with... an example while on holiday we took pics of each other and the resort....Jord has several lovely pics of the caravan TV, Cooker and toilet... maybe in 30years time these pics will be a reminder of the relics of the past
        sigpic

Comment

I wish I had taken a load more photos in my childhood. I have quite a lot up to the age of about 11 but after then very few, I have a load of memories but if i had more photos im sure i would have more. It would be so cool to see how people, places and objects have changed over the years.
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Funny enough, I was thinking of this very same thing the other day.
            While I have loads of pics of as a kid at the important things (Xmas,Birthdays,etc).there are large gaps,when I took no pictures of anything really. I have a few from my time in Spain, but they are all of the house, not the town we lived in.I have loads from pub/club gigs, but not really of the people who were around.
            i was lucky enough to be invited (about 7 years back) to a works reunion, and managed to borrow the pics that others had taken at the time we all worked together (86-88).
            I scanned them and still have a copy, but bloody hell! I look so young! (I was only 21).. and about three stone lighter!
            But at that time I myself have no other pics..suppose I had 'young' things to do, which did not involve thinking of the future

Comment

Cant imagine to many teenagers being best pleased with mum, taking photo's of them popping a wheelie or while playing hedge hopping
              Heather

Comment

There'll be plenty of photo flashes in our house this afternoon !! I have all my kids and their kids coming for Heather's two's birthday bash ! Jelly and Ice cream, popcorn and cakes - as well as the boring things of course.. The birthday cake is followed by pressie giving which always ends in a paper fight with the wrappings Great fun, just the finding paper balls for a week afterwards that's scary - you'd be surprised where they end up Ah well, peace will reign about eight o'clock tonight
                Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

good thread. My mum has very few photos of me and me sister growing up. The house isn't a problem as mum's stayed in the same one for 50 years. I do have an album of all my cars through the years( a boy thing) and may get around to posting them one day, now all the "summer" visitors have left.
                  The eyes have it!
                  sigpic

Comment

I wish we had more pictures taken.It would be so nice to see things and people again.

Comment

My mum was a snap-happy photographer and so she has literally thousands of photos of me growing up, even doing mundane things like eating tea, watching telly etc. Must go over to hers soon and look through some )

Comment

My Mum took a fair few photos when we were little. There don't seem to be many of me as a baby/toddler, but plenty of my sister and I dressed in those dreaded matching outfits. Some great photos of us playing on our climbing frame/swing , with toys in the garden, playing swingball, gardening - even one of me and my sister in the garden, sitting in the dog's basket eating egg sandwiches. Would have loved some photos of old neighbours and other kids in the street. Recently found out my Auntie has a photo of an old neighbour that we called 'nana' (not our real nana), we adored her so must get a copy!

Making sure we get loads of photos of our daughter doing everything. We even got a photo of her standing beside our car, as my personalised reg plate has her name on it, which we want to give to her when she's old enough to drive lol.

Comment

I do wish I had more photos from the past. My parents hardly ever took photos so I have very few and there is a huge gap of years where the camera broke and they didn't get another one. Infact they never got another one. The next one was mine!

I loved taking photographs but there is only so much you can do with pocket money and a Halina disc camera. When digital cameras and Photoshop finally arrived I thought "At last! This is the stuff I dreamed of using 15 years ago!".

It's so much easier to take pictures of 'boring' things now, not least because you don't have to buy films and get them developed. I've kept a diary for years and this year I have started putting one picture in every day, even if it is something really mundane. In years to come even the mundane things will bring back memories.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Solo View Post
                            My mum was a snap-happy photographer and so she has literally thousands of photos of me growing up, even doing mundane things like eating tea, watching telly etc. Must go over to hers soon and look through some )
                            This sums up Nostalgia... Nostalgia is lost memories re-gained, it's things we wish we had saved, mundane things etc. When we do have access to our past life like Solo obviously has, then it doesn't seem so precious. It seems that We have to lose something to truly appreciate what was special about it.

I have a painting from my family home and it's alright, I like it, it's a nice picture but It's just a picture because I've always had it. I searched the internet for a picture that we had over the fire place by J.H.Lynch called Tina when I was a kid and the moment I saw it(as kitsch as it is) my childhood memories flooded back in an intense wave of nostalgia. ..... Dad always said her eyes followed you around the room and they did!

Oh how I long for mundane photos of my childhood like Solo has.:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by moonvisage View Post
                              I wish we had more pictures taken.It would be so nice to see things and people again.
                              thats so sad.

when i was a kid still am although my age would say i should have grown up, i had loads of photos taken of me.
                              first day at school,first bday,,when i first started walking etc.

these are special moments in a persons life and having photos of them looking back at them as we get older are a great way of remembering our younger days.

all parents should take pics of there kids and as many as possible.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X