Middle-class computing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle-class computing

I'd left school before the computer revolution kicked in (in my last year all we had was a kit micro - a UK101) so I never had a BBC Microcomputer to use or own back in the day. It was always too expensive and, compared to the Speccy and C64, didn't have the greatest or biggest games library but I always coveted it and watched all the Micro Live programmes (YouTube ahoy!). It looked like a proper computer and watching Fred Harris or Ian McNaught-Davies hooking it up to BBS, modems and other 'real' stuff made it seem all the more exotic.

Now I've got one (for free rather than £399!) and it's still got that allure I remember. Just need a Cub monitor and a DFS (not a sofa shop) and I'm set.

Sad I know but it can go in the shed and I can be a sad old man playing Elite.

Anyone else have the posh kids' micro?

Re: Middle-class computing

I had a BBC - my parents got it for me because it was what they used in school and apparently computers were 'the future'. My mates used to laugh at me because they had Commodore 64s and could play Ghostbusters and Bruce Lee. I could read poems by Roger MgGough or play Elite. I played Elite. Alot. Loved it.

Always remember the two tone beep when you turned it on and never erver press the 'Break' button as that would reset it.

Comment

Re: Middle-class computing

I remember popping around to a friends house and they had just brought a BBC computer and I was fasinated by it. It seem years ahead of everything else. Do you rember REPTON? I spent two days solid on the game editor option once.

Comment

Working...
      X