Roadmaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadmaker

You end up with the entire collection of 75 Matchbox miniatures (and I've still got the VW golf with the surfboards on the roof after all these years!) but what good were they, really, without their own 70's Sim City to send them round? Roadmaker was the answer! A box of interlocking bends, straights, junctions and traffic lights which gave budding 11 year olds the opportunity to create their very own Milton Keynes in their front rooms. It was obviously a very influential toy. Guess what I do for a living nowadays?

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Roadmaker

Is this the set of thin glossy road pieces printed on card? And the card signposts and traffic lights stood upright? The one that came in quite a thin and wide box (perhaps A3 size)? I would love to have this again now for my baby boy when he's old enough. I can't see how today's kids can have anywhere near the same amount of fun on these gaudy roll-out printed road-mats. Roadmaker sounds right from your description.

Comment

My brother had one of those roadmakers, at least until he left it outside on a summer's day & it got rained on.

Between us we had a Matchbox set of roads, part of which formed a multi storey carpark. I've still not forgiven my Mum for giving it away years before we would have grown out of it.
      Our cousins had an updated set almost the same called Motorcity.

I also had a few sets of Majokit, which might still be in my parents loft, but could have gone in a charity bag.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I used to have one of those, really loved it. But sadly I had to get rid of the road pieces as they were all tattered, I kept the little road signs though.

Comment

Roadmaker was excellent. I loved playing with my Corgi and Dinkey cars as a youngster, and the addition of Roadmaker was just heaven. I think I had to send off postal orders to buy it, or rather my Mum did. Then it arrived one morning when I was at school. Luckily I can home for lunch. As you can imagine I was not keen to go back to school. All afternoon I planned in my head how I was going to setup my first road. However, once I got home I found that it was already setup by my eldest brother ... gggrrrrr.

Anyway, I've seen a few on ebay recently, going for £15-20. I will definitely get one as there is nothing to match it today, and my youngest loves his cars.

Comment

Next one'll probably make £50, with me bidding against you! Haha. No, we'll all have to curb our eagerness, or we'll drive up the value!!!! I'll let you go first, as my boy's only 6 months old. I'm already collecting cars for him, but he's too young to have them yet, nevermind whizzing them around Roadmaker. Haha.
            Last edited by Jamo; 14-03-2010, 23:01.

Comment

Working...
            X