Good old charity shops.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good old charity shops.....

Saw this while in a shop while back in the UK, i'd forgotten all about it!

Re: Good old charity shops.....

I had 'Dragster' - quite a good game in that it took some skill to flick the ball at the right speed to get it to push the dragsters in lanes two and three down to the bottom of the course.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

yes i remember that game.

my local charity shops have a few board games.
      think ill go get them.
      kids nowadays really do miss out on board games.
      we where all so lucky.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

By now, the shelves of bookshops up and down the country should've been groaning under the weight of two cartoon books about the retro popular culture & lifestyle of the 1970s ('Remember The 70s') and 1980s ('Remember the 80s'), both by me. Unfortunately, the publishers got cold feet when a lawyer pointed out that there could be some legal and rights issues, and the project was put on hold back in the spring, and then put on indefinite hold for now at least.

The reason I mention this is because I bought 'Mousetrap' for £1.50 from a charity shop just so I could draw the apparatus all set up for one of the cartoons. I remember playing it at a friend's house, but never had the game myself until the charity shop find. It was satisfying to set it all off after I'd finished drawing it, and it worked a treat.

Comment

In my teens and early 20's I would not go into any charity shops. The SHAME if anybody saw me going in! Life wouldn't have been worth living! Pathetic I know but I've seen the error of my ways. I love a good mooch about in them now. It helps that I love 70's and 80's tat - ornaments etc. I found a lovely 70's sheepskin coat in one the other day too.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Charity Shops are like Social Museums.I Love them. I got a late 60s-early 70s FRUSTRATION game in Mint condition for £2. It's Ace!

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              In my teens and early 20's I would not go into any charity shops. The SHAME if anybody saw me going in! Life wouldn't have been worth living! Pathetic I know but I've seen the error of my ways. I love a good mooch about in them now. It helps that I love 70's and 80's tat - ornaments etc. I found a lovely 70's sheepskin coat in one the other day too.
              what condition was the sheepskin in mate.

its amazing some of the good stuff that can be found in charity shops.

ot can be a treasure trove.

Comment

Interesting reading your threads,and i would agree with you that Charity shops used to be good hunting grounds for a bargain but not any more,well where i live anyway.All the Charity shops in my town have a computer in the back and nearly all the stock be it bric a brac,toys and board games are checked for what they are fetching on ebay !!! And priced accordingly.In fact one of our charity shops in our town is specifically for toys and board games and they are all overpriced,so no more bargains there.
                Nope forget the charity shops and get round them CarBoot and table tops...roll on the spring !

Comment

I agree that a lot of the stuff in charity shops is over-priced now. I tend to look for nick nacks more than anything, thinks I like because I know you can't get them anywhere else, and they are usually cheap. Clothes are another matter. It can be hard to get a bargain. My sheepskin coat didn't come really cheap (ebay prices compare) but it was in good condition and you can't buy anything of that quality now without paying through the nose. It's also quite difficult to get hold of a stylish 'new' sheepskin coat these days. They are very much a thing of the 70's.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

I've found so many gaming bargains in charity shops - Lord of the Rings Risk, Labyrinth, Eye, Stratego, Kingmaker and many more, all for a couple of quid.

Comment

I always check out the Charity Shops for rare records and DVD's...
                      A quick peek can sometimes come up with a bargain...
                      Cheers
                      Sgt S

Comment

I'm always looking at what DVDs and CDs I can find in charity shops, sometimes books and games, but usually just DVDs and CDs, and I have picked up loads of good stuff really cheap. From a retro point-of-view, I've managed to get the 'Charley Says/Charley Live' PIF DVD for a quid, and a couple of 'Tenko' DVDs for a pound each (although I haven't really watched those yet, just remember it being on in the early '80s), and the first series of 'Dear Ladies' - which is hilarious, new for about 2 pounds.

Comment

i have found lots of videos and old vnyl records in charity shops.
                          some for only a quid each.
                          both the small and bigger vinyls.

charity shops are just great fopr ild stuff be it books videos etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                            Saw this while in a shop while back in the UK, i'd forgotten all about it!

I still have mine - but the black plastic flickers have snapped off (but am a sentimental idiot)

Comment

I used to have Dragster until I got too old for it & (under pressure from my Mum) it went into a charity bag.

The marbles also got used in Ghost Castle after the skull went missing.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X