the warlock of firetop mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the warlock of firetop mountain

I owned the boardgame which was brilliant.

But does anyone remember the original Fighting Fantasy books in which you had different choices and paths to take, and had to turn to the equivalent number in the book?

Are they still around???
    Definition of a Transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink and be Mary! .

yes mate on ebay ive still got mine i had so i brought some more to complete the collection still a few missing though
    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

were they the equivalent to "choose your own adventure books"?
      I'd rather hear the bad truth than a good lie

Comment

yes, but i thought they were better than the "CYOA" books.

Admit it... did you ever cheat???

Comment

Oooh, I had the first ~6 or so of those books! Of course I cheated, I often kept fingers holding open the last 5 or so 'pages' I visited!

Some of them were really hard, with 'mazes' (with nothing but vague text to help you remember where you've been), and 'final battles' where several items were absolutely necessary to win...

Comment

i needed extra fingers when i cheated to keep my pages i was like "i'll go this way to see where it leads, and if i die, i'll come back to here and go this way"...etc what a nightmare.

Comment

i some how always beat the monsters
              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Sorry to add to an old thread, but I had loads of fighting fantasy books and I can name most of them ! :-

1 - warlock of firetop mountain
                2 - citadel of chaos
                3 - forest of doom
                4 - starship traveller (sci-fi)
                5 - city of thieves
                6 - deathtrap dungeon
                7 - island of the lizard king
                8 - scorpion swamp
                9 - caverns of the snow witch
                10 - house of hell (horror)
                11 - talisman of death
                12 - space assassin
                13 - freeway fighter
                14 - temple of terror
                15 - rings of kether
                16 - seas of blood
                17 - appointment with fear

I could go on but won't !, there were about in 30 in all I think

Comment

Re: the warlock of firetop mountain

I was sucked in by Firetop Mountain's cover and the competition (that I didn't enter) to win a large dragon figurine.

Didn't know about the need for dice and so on until we got home. So I would read them in similar fashion to the CYOB books. Roll a six to defeat creature.

I can imagine rolling a six. Now what?

I remember one of the ones I had had an encounter with a vampire that was rather well done. If it went wrong, you were told your will was leaving you, and it was due to a VAMPIRE!

Comment

Originally posted by Slushpup View Post
                    Sorry to add to an old thread, but I had loads of fighting fantasy books and I can name most of them ! :-

1 - warlock of firetop mountain
                    4 - starship traveller (sci-fi)
                    6 - deathtrap dungeon
                    11 - talisman of death
                    12 - space assassin
                    13 - freeway fighter

I could go on but won't !, there were about in 30 in all I think
                    I had these ones. Cheated like hell, of course, but I think I still only completed Freeway Fighter properly. Then again I was a big Car Wars player, so maybe some of that rubbed off on me...
                    Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

I had 1-10. But the copy of Starship Traveller I had was the 1st edition which was impossible to complete due to a misprint of one of the numbers.

Comment

Hello, thought you would like to view this slideshow of all the "Fighting Fantasy" books.

Comment

That brings back memories. My brother had loads of them but I can't remember past about number 22. It is amazing that they continued until 1995 (and have been subsequently reissued).

I think I remember drawing out a score sheet and taking it to the local photocopiers, this being the days before people routinely had computers and printers.

Comment

I only got up to House of Hell. Also my Citadel of Chaos had this cover instead of the one in the vid:

Mine came in a three book set with books 1 and 3.

I did go through a phase of rediscovering these a little while back (don't know where my books went) so bought a few online and in second hand shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                              I only got up to House of Hell. Also my Citadel of Chaos had this cover instead of the one in the vid:

Mine came in a three book set with books 1 and 3.

I did go through a phase of rediscovering these a little while back (don't know where my books went) so bought a few online and in second hand shops.
                              I remember this cover and not the one in the youtube clip, but then again they have re-released them several times.

Comment

Working...
                              X