Wide Leg trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide Leg trousers

I can remember buying my first fashionable pair of trousers from Chelsea Girl. They were Bottle Green (a very popular colour at the time) had a 5 button waitband and were very flared. They had to be long enough so you couldn't see your shoes underneath. I also bought a peppermint green jumper, ribbed, it was a v neck with a little collar that you could wear outside or tuck it in. I thought I was the bees knees in this outfit.....how times change
    sigpic

Re: Wide Leg trousers

I remember getting the male equivalent of high waisted pants, they always looked obscene when you sat down as all material jutted up !

You had to oh-so-casually fold your hands on your lap for a second or two

Once a few beers kicked in though, you always forgot to do this

Comment

Did you wear platforms with them like my brother did, although he is four years older than me. They were only small platforms but very clompy!!
      sigpic

Comment

LOL Yes!!

they were called 'tortoises' cos the patterns looked like em.

As I'm quite tall was always banging my head on door lintels so I went back to desert boots ( now there's a great memory-- original ones were so light and comfy and always ended up scuffed shiny black with dirt etc)

Comment

In the 70's I had a delightful pair of corduroy flares that were brown to the knee and then a rust colour from the knee down. I wore them with a lovely smock and my jesus sandals. I was too young to know better.

Comment

ala Loon Pants Kass?
            The eyes have it!
            sigpic

Comment

Looked like a loon lol. I didn't mention that the smock was yellow and was topped off with my unruly carroty ginger hair.

Comment

Think I got mine as a hand-me -down from my cousin
                Hated those pants

Comment

I always remember those times whenever i see an ad for Satuday Night Fever! those tight flares and flowery shirts!!
                  sigpic

Comment

I worked in Chelsea girl, and we had to wear whatever was the fashion at the time as our work uniforms. They provided them free of charge of course, but sometimes the fashion would change very quickly, so in the course of one season, we'd have several different uniforms.

I remember wearing hot pants and white silk shirts with bell sleeves, and knee high pink suede platform boots. Gawd no wonder I have a bad back to this day walking around for 8 hours a day in those, as well as wearing high heels at night.

Then the fashion changed to Big red check Oxford bags and bulldog shoes (2 tone oxblood lace ups) and tank tops with pick your nose collars on the shirts we wore underneath.

Then in the winter we wore beige cords , platform shoes, tight necked ribbed polo necks and maxi cardigans.

I liked it best when skinhead style came in...we got to wear ben sherman shirts, stay press, braces, & silk lined navy crombie coats when we went home. .....yes, the girls lol

Comment

I still wear wide legged trousers and flared jeans. As Im slim for a bloke I like the roomy fit that the leg gives you. My girlfriend says they show off my bum nicely too.

Comment

My mother still have those wide leg trousers.
                        Brings back the memories...

Comment

We are talking Karman Ghia here, are we not, Cords or otherwise. 5 button waist, if only i had a waist to accommodate 5 buttons today.
                          There were the terylene bags as well with the pockets on the side just above the knee, they would give you a permanent stoop trying to slouch with your hands in them.
                          I had some 4 colour vinyl platforms out of the Marshal ward catalogue that cracked across the sole, both within the first hour of wearing them.

Comment

Tried flares in the early 90s when they came back into fashion... never again!

Comment

28" baggies ... made to measure from 'Trews' on the Headrow in Leeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X