Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coin Holders

Whatever happened to these ?

When £1 coins came out in the eighties you either had a tube like thing with a spring in it that held a fivers worth or a flat pentagon and you slid a coin into each side.

They were intended to stop all these heavy new coins ruining your pockets and instead you had a big hole where the coin holder popped through entirely

Re: Coin Holders

Plenty still around !!

This one is for sale on eBay.
    I have just retired from working at a local supermarket and loads of senior citizen customers (especially the gents !!) still use them.
    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
    <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Did you ever get the chance to say.."Is that a Coin Holder in your pocket? or are you just pleased to see me"??

Comment

Aww Daz - I ain't THAT cruel - they're less than 2 inches long
        Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
        <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Lmao

Comment

Roflmao

Comment

oh i remember these coin holders.
              my dad has at least one of them.

there where also taller ones which you could put 20p pieces in.

i remember my aunt having a pink see through one.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember coin holders being popular in the 1980s, my brother had one that could hold 5 £1 coins.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

i remember them but it almost seems a waste to just hold five.

the ones my aunt had where very thin and tall held 20 pence pieces.

by the look of it when full it could hold at least a tenners worth.

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  I remember coin holders being popular in the 1980s, my brother had one that could hold 5 £1 coins.

Comment

When I was 7 I found one on the bus coming home from school with my Dad. I was wearing Pumps which we've talked about on another thread and it rolled under my foot, I looked down, picked it up and lo and behold it was a £5 one full of coins!!! I showed Dad and he paid the money into my savings account - finders keepers!

Comment

That is some going to still remember that mate.
                      Have you still got the coin holder.

I wonder was there ones for just more that pound coins and 20 p pieces.
                      I can imagine the smile on your face when you lifted your foot.

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                      When I was 7 I found one on the bus coming home from school with my Dad. I was wearing Pumps which we've talked about on another thread and it rolled under my foot, I looked down, picked it up and lo and behold it was a £5 one full of coins!!! I showed Dad and he paid the money into my savings account - finders keepers!

Comment

I was very surprised and happy at the time - I'd never found money before like that. I do remember seeing in a mail order catalogue coin holders for £10's worth of coin and I'm sure I saw one for £20 too.

We had the coin holder for years after. It may still be somewhere in the house I think. I remember the spring disc that depressed each time a coin was loaded into it. Over time, the brass coating wore off in some places on it and I remember seeing the ordinary metal underneath...the middle part was made of a durable black plastic with a faux leather effect to it.

Comment

Never had one myself as I tend to use old bank bags.Always seemed to have to much clutter ratteling about in my pockets to want another bit.

They remind me of the old pre decimal spring loaded coin holders and sovereign cases.Always brings a smile to my face how things are re worked for another generation only with a bit more style in keeping with the current trends and tastes.

Comment

I use bank bags to carry loose change in when I'm out - it prevents my pocket linings getting dirty and eventually damaged.

Comment

Working...
                            X