Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ub40

Yes, I know..
    Nowadays known for crappy Reggae lite covers versions and being fat old men.
    BUT.
    The first two albums they released (Signing Off & Present Arms) are complete and utter CLASSICS. Sad to see the decline of a once great group:cry:, nowadays its criminal to even mention you like UB40!
    and I agree, they suck big time and have since about 1983!!

But, If you have any interest in reggae, do yourself a favour and get the first two albums, when the band were untouchable at the time..also get the PA in dub album.
    (both of these albums are timeless,fresh and no matter how many times I listen, I never get bored of)
    You'll be shocked to see how great they once were and how far they have fallen
    Last edited by sixtyten; 03-02-2008, 02:28.

Re: Ub40

I admitt I liked UB40 when I was in high school, however I've not heard anything by them for years, and didn't realise they were still around- my high school days would have been late 80's just scrapping in early 90's, which is when most people probably think they were already well past it-What can I say I was a teenager and a girl!!
    The tracks I remember owing are of course Red Red Wine, Homely Girl,Kingston Town, and I'll Be Your Baby Tonight.
    I've also owned the Best Of Album's at some point
    Last edited by Heather74; 03-02-2008, 12:52.
    Heather

Comment

oh noes! red red wine..the beginning of the end

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
        I admitt I liked UB40 when I was in high school, however I've not heard anything by them for years, and didn't realise they were still around- my high school days would have been late 80's just scrapping in early 90's, which is when most people probably think they were already well past it-What can I say I was a teenager and a girl!!
        The tracks I remember owing are of course Red Red Wine, Homely Girl,Kingston Town, and I'll Be Your Baby Tonight.
        I've also owned the Best Of Album's at some point
        All covers:cry:

Comment

I shall have to educate myself and look up some early/original stuff.
          Heather

Comment

Please do
            I'm not here to knock UB40, just a tad dissapointed they never carried on the way they set out.
            Regardless..they made two of the finest albums ever IMHO, and while the rest of the back catalogue ain't so shabby, its just not to my tastes.
            I suppose it would be the height of hypocrisy to be singing about dole/politics when you've made millions in Thatcher's Britain..so I understand the change, but it rendered one of the UK's finest acts redundant (excuse the pun)

Still..whatever transpired..I'll say it again..two of the finest albums ever

made even more impressive by the fact none of the 8 members were musicians, they learned to play to form the band. Which would leave me to believe thats where the beauty of the first few albums lies..simple, honest to goodness reggae with a political slant. Produced largely at home with one of the bands brothers producing..
            Last edited by sixtyten; 18-02-2008, 21:09.

Comment

I agree Daz cracking albums of the times, although I suppose you can't keep writing about hard time for 25 years. I must admit I do like I got U Babe mainly because i had a thing for Chrissie Hynd at the time.( or should this admission be on the other thread?) I see Ali Campbell has tour lined up and is visiting one of the lesser venues near me soon.
              The eyes have it!
              sigpic

Comment

The Pillow and King were two of my faves
                sigpic

Comment

I like their song Red Red Wine. I also like the two duets they made with Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders.

Comment

Working...
                  X