Stoolball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoolball

Did anyone play Stoolball at school in the 70's? I used to love it because it was easier to score runs than in rounders (hated rounders).

Re: Stoolball

It sounds like a medical condition and I wouldn't fancy catching it !

Comment

No recollection of it

Comment

Nope nor me.Sounds very strange.
        Heather

Comment

Bit like cricket but instead of stumps there was a pole with a piece of board at the top. The bats were shaped like table tennis bats rather than rounders bat (which I could never hit a ball with). I've never met anyone else who remembers this game. I have had to check the web to make sure it's not one of my mad dreams and it does exist!

Comment

Tip & run was our school's altrnative to cricket.... but only the boys were allowed to play!!

sigpic

Comment

Yes, definitely! I used to play stoolball at my CofE primary school. I think it was only common in certain parts of the country though.

It was a fun game but also odd at the same time. I remember the paddle you used to have was quite awkward to hold. I kept getting myself out with that one on a number of occasions, I remember. Great memories though.

Comment

hmm, I remember my grandmother who worked in a hospital with mental health patients and telling me of a woman who would offer you Maltesers but it was always wise to refuse them,
                apart from that, I've never heard of stoolballs before LOL
                DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                  hmm, I remember my grandmother who worked in a hospital with mental health patients and telling me of a woman who would offer you Maltesers but it was always wise to refuse them,
                  apart from that, I've never heard of stoolballs before LOL
                  Lol Never made that connection before. Show's you how slow I am.

Comment

Was stoolball the same as rounders or were they totally different to each other? I know that they were a bit similar.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      Was stoolball the same as rounders or were they totally different to each other? I know that they were a bit similar.
                      To be honest, it was so long ago, I can"t remember the exact details. I don't remember stoolball having bases, like in rounders; I think it was more like cricket in that respect.

There was also a free standing wicket and the bat was more like a paddle.

Comment

Working...
                      X