Saturday Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Jobs

Who had a Saturday job? what did you do and how much did you get paid?

I worked in the local market all day on a Saturday selling "Womens Fashion"... got paid £3 a day!

Went on to work for Littlewoods and got paid £15 a day. Didn't like shop work though. The customer is NOT always right!!

sigpic

Re: Saturday Jobs

Never had one did how ever deliver a local weekly paper but that was after school, the round took hours the bag almost yanked your arm off it was so heavy Met some nasty yappy dogs and people!!
    Got paid around £15.
    Heather

Comment

Market Trader selling DIY stuff

made much better money than my mates in the supermarkets plus the guy who owned the stall always bought you cod and chips at lunchtime.
      Dad used to come down every Saturday to get all his stuff on my staff discount

Comment

Hi,

I worked at the local Kennedy's garden centre every Sat and Sun and got just over £20. You could get a lot of guinness for that in them days though.

Mark
        You know you're getting old when Dr. Who starts looking young!

Comment

I worked in the fruit and veg part of our local Tescos. Saturday could be a nightmare except for the superb bunk off job of having to stock-take the flowers towards the end of the afternoon, where I could catch glimpses of the lovely Keeley on customer services

Didn't stand a chance, though.

Comment

grew up on a farm of sorts, so there were always animals to feed (before school!), fences to fix, hay to bale & stack etc etc

Couldn't have managed a Saturday job!

Dave
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

My dad was a milkman and my 2 eldest brothers worked as his milkboy during their teenage years. Once they moved onto other jobs then I filled the gap. I was only 11 years old when I started. I can remember having to get up on a Saturday morning at 4am and we got home about 2pm. At Christmas we'd start even earlier as there was a lot more milk to deliver and hampers + other goods.

Friday evenings were spent collecting money from customers rather than playing with my mates. Then over the Summer hols I would work week days too. That was great as it was Summer and we tended to finish about 10am most days. Then the rest of the day was mine. That said, by Sunday I was so tired that I used to roll out of bed about lunchtime, eat lunch and then go out knowing that I had to be up earlier next day.

I got paid £5 a week and this was back in 1980, and it seemed a lot then. At Christmas it was tradition for customers to give 'christmas boxes' to the milkman and I'd receive about £50 from generous customers. My dad would easily get over £300.

I bought a Walkman so that I could listen to music I'd recorded on tapes .. that was excellent, particularly on the parts of the milk round when we had to travel between delivery points.

Another perk was that I'd get free milk and would drink at least 2 pints a day. Sometimes I'd drink Gold Top (full fat) milk and when that is fresh from the dairy then nothing else beat it. Still get a warm feeling when I drink from a carton / bottle of cold milk today. Then the milkmen started to sell biscuits, cakes, and other produce from the van. I'll wolf down several United bars a day from the goods in the 'back of the van'.

After a few years I went to work for my brother as he had taken over a milk round of his own. This was in the country and in the Summer it was fantastic. In the winter it was bleak. No doors on the electric van and no heating. One year it was so cold that the milk rose up out of the bottles and looked like Mini Milk ice creams.

Great times and something kids today will never have the chance to experience, I guess.

Comment

1983 - I got a Boardmarking job in a well known chain of betting offices (I was over18 and at college)

It was hectic, listening to the betting coming over the landline and having to mark it at the same time. I used to have about 12 races going on and had to run up and down a raised balcony !

I got £16.75! Mega bucks compared to my friend who sold eggs and cheese - then one day my Dad picked me up and noticed all the cigarette smoke and I did it for about 4 months and he stopped me!

Comment

The only Saturday job I had lasted for just a couple of months. Myself and my brother cleaned the sportscar of a wealthy neighbour. All I can recall is that he was an actor known mostly for his voice-overs. I don't remember his name and have no idea if he is someone I'd recognise today.

scooby365: Very interesting post about your time as a milk boy, ...though it really does seems a lot to ask of a boy of 11.

Comment

I used to wash my dads and his workmates lorry's as they went around the local pub for 'lunch' ,cant remember how much they gave me but it was a good amount as they were in a good mood when they returned from the pub.I cant think why.
                    Frame.
                    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

I never officially had a Saturday job but often I had to finish my free paper round on a Saturday morning because they had been delivered to me late.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Can't really class it as a Saturday job, but in the late 70s I would help our local Unigate milkman make his delivery. Old battery milkfloat, open sided so was cold as bugger in the winter. It was great fun. And the reward? As many Humphrey Straws as I wanted and 50p. Class!
                        "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

When I was about 14 I worked in my Aunts hairdressers, fridays after school and saturdays, didn't like it at all, hate the smell of hairdressers, had to make cups of tea and coffee for people waiting, had to wash peoples hair and take rollers out lol Can't remember how much she paid me actually, I thought it was enough for what I did though, proberly like a tenner or something lol Didn't work there for too long, as I didn't enjoy it

Then when I was about 15/16 I worked as a waitress at a water gardens, where they sold, tents, ornaments and animals etc, that wasn't so bad, I quit when I had to revise and take my GCSE's

Comment

i used to work on the local pg farm on saturdays.
                            done it for a few yrs.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Not strictly a Saturday job, but I worked for a while in Marks and Spencers when I was a student. My over-riding memory is of how bitchy the place was - full of middle aged women who'd been there for a million years thinking they owned the place and looking down on anyone under 21 (ie me) like we were poo on their shoe. I absolutely hated it.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X